Lupin VS Pat 02 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:35 am

☆☆☆☆☆
65%
☆☆☆☆
28%
☆☆☆
5%
☆☆
3%
No votes

Total votes: 40
PTM966666
Adventure
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mikie Hara
Favorite Actor?: Tom Hanks
Favorite Band: Coldrain
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Lupin VS Pat 02 Released!

Post by PTM966666 »

good episode in overall, I like the CG chase scene and mech battle, hope they can have the budget for that for the rest of the show. I like how this goes so far, this ep gives us the backstory of the Lupin and slighty Pat 1 character, not so much but that's enough for me to root for next week. 5/5
chaossage13
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Onger
Dreamy: Kinji Takigawa
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
My boom: Persona

Post by chaossage13 »

I ended up with a bullet point format because I had so many thoughts about this episode.

- I liked the initial fight between the two teams at the beginning. Everyone had a chance to interact, personalities were shown, and it was more than just "leader vs leader, guy vs guy, girl vs girl."

- I don't understand the robo names for the Patrangers. Thunderous Roar became obvious with the race car theme but... Hundred Shots (I counted one for the billboard and about six for the bridge) and Hundred Hits (didn't hit anything unless the bridge counts)?

- I'm sure the theme and opening will grow on me, but there's just SOOOO many visuals. Then you add in the dueling singing... I'll adjust after a few more episodes, but right now, pandemonium.

- Snow and rose petals... They just need to give that Ganglar wings so they can add feathers and finish the fanboy visual trifecta. My theory is that secret bad guy actually is the butler who is also the head of the police, which would explain how the Patrangers obtained pieces of the Lupin collection.

- I kind of wanted more from the backstory. The motivation is fine, if unoriginal, but I wanted more of a bond between the three Lupins. Right now, that wish is their only connection. It would have been more interesting to me if say LupinYellow chased the strange white Ganglar, fell into a trap, and was saved by LupinBlue while LupinRed attacked. Then maybe have the butler interfere (giving them an actual reason to trust him) and then getting their abilities and making their pact.

- Cane claw short staffs? I'm down with it.

- Alright, now that the Patrangers have an actual henshin sequence, I'm less disgusted by the suit design for them. Having that little color strip in the center be a tie akin to the Lupin's bow tie brought the style choice together for me. Sidenote, can someone explain to me why Sangou holds up two fingers and a thumb instead of three fingers? Legit curiosity, no outrage there.

- The Patmegaphone/Patamegabou is kind of lame compared to the cane claws.

- I predict for PatRan Ugo, given the multicolored emblem with white space they gave it, more than just the three members can fuse. That being said, when I saw the initial combination, my brain went "PatRan Den-O!!!" as well.

- Slug boobs and all, Gauche is redeemed for that kick ass entrance, catchy theme, and dismissive "a present from the boss" as she left. Sadly, she is now also the monster grow girl, but someone had to do it. I'll be sad when the budget runs low and they start having her just appear, but as long as the theme remains, I'll be happy.

- The irony of "Good Ticket"... I mean, "Good Striker" looking like a little devil carrot with a top hat is not lost on me.

- So... much... collateral... damage...

- I wonder if Good Striker's trope is going to be obvious names. "Good Striker Rapid-Fire Defeating Shot" is just so on the nose.

- The "an eternal adieu" finishing catchphrase is one of my favorites in awhile.

- I'm pretty sure no one here is the least bit fooled by the Patrangers showing up. They're hungry. No one (except maybe the target demographic) is buying it.

All in all, it's only the second episode which means plenty of time to make or break the series. To be honest though, it's still holding my attention. Usually I wait until the weekend to watch and these past two I've been downloading and watching immediately. This gets a five from me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

> I don't understand the robo names for the Patrangers. Thunderous Roar became obvious with the race car theme but... Hundred Shots (I counted one for the billboard and about six for the bridge) and Hundred Hits (didn't hit anything unless the bridge counts)?

I didn't really understand why the voice was speaking at that point. But Hundred Shots, Hundred hits is just a fancy way of saying "Hits 100% of the time"

>can someone explain to me why Sangou holds up two fingers and a thumb instead of three fingers? Legit curiosity, no outrage there.

Probably so he can do thumbs up and the peace sign at the same time?
iori93
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: saa omae tsumi wo kazoero!

Post by iori93 »

I like it very much. Although there are some flaw and silly parts like the chase scene where the giant police car manage to catch the lupin's jet, there's no blood when the ice shattered, the foot soldiers stay in line when Patranger ask and the unnecessary carrot form of Good Striker in the mecha. We all need to remember, this is still Super Sentai that is targeted for kids audience. Overall, the episode is very entertaining for me, we got to know more about Lupinranger, less story about Patranger but what do you expect its only episode 2, there still a lot of time to focus about them later. And I don't find the Patran1 annoying, it just a strict policeman. Maybe some of you find it annoying because he is not so handsome like previous sentai. One more thing, the opening scene is very good it's balance the 2 sentai but it ends up by the lupinred shoot the screen, and we know that Lupinranger is the main sentai in this series. I only comment if im really satisfied and this is 5/5 from me
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think it's annoying because he yells at his coworkers and doesn't calm down till a girl hand feeds him something. When he does actual heroic stuff instead of getting jealous of the LupinRangers for doing their jobs for them, maybe I'll start respecting him.
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

TypicalStandUser wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 pmI wouldn't be surprised if Kogure was lying.
Given enough series of Sentai and Kamen Rider for me over time, I expect to be an ulterior twist
Spoiler
with Kogure being the REAL big bad... Which leads me to think just who made these artifacts of doom to begin with, including the VS Changers? If his motive is to collect the relics and seal them back into the book, why not solely have it be the responsibility of the PatRangers?

Why insist the conflict between what seems to be not-originally-professional thieves that were made to be ones according to what is given so far as of the second episode?
TypicalStandUser wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 pmSo whose idea is it to give the Patrangers a Trinity Fusion when using Striker?? Not a fan.
Not a fan of GokaiChristmas either. So.... yeah. The writer really wanted to recapture Den-O Climax Form's silliness...
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

chaossage13 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:14 pm - I kind of wanted more from the backstory. The motivation is fine, if unoriginal, but I wanted more of a bond between the three Lupins. Right now, that wish is their only connection. It would have been more interesting to me if say LupinYellow chased the strange white Ganglar, fell into a trap, and was saved by LupinBlue while LupinRed attacked. Then maybe have the butler interfere (giving them an actual reason to trust him) and then getting their abilities and making their pact.

All in all, it's only the second episode which means plenty of time to make or break the series. To be honest though, it's still holding my attention. Usually I wait until the weekend to watch and these past two I've been downloading and watching immediately. This gets a five from me.
This is the first Sentai series that I've been wanting to watch closer since GoKaiger.

Also, it's a 48 episode series. Plenty of time to develop a decent backstory. After all, my chin dropped to the floor when they first revealed that
Spoiler
AkaRed was the initial leader of the GoKaiger

Now, one thing to note... at 10:32, the table they are gathering at has a Red, Blue, Yellow, and White chair. With the exception of the white chair, that corresponds with the colors of the Lupin team. Also, there are light blue and green chairs in the restaurant as well, but they are on the side. Symbolism?
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

And that's the story of how the staff blew all their CG budget in one episode!

Just as a small note. I just now realized that the boss and his two generals make another trio. making them the third trio of the show and the opposite to both patranger and lupinranger... huh...

I will give this to the show: in less than 5 minutes they actually managed to make me understand the Lupinranger's motivations quickly and more effectively than the last few sentai shows combined

I don't like that the Patranger do, in fact, kill the monsters. I am okay with it almost all other seasons, but having cops do it feels... wrong.
I mean, say whatever you want about Power Rangers. I think SPD had the right idea of showing they didn't kill the monster of the week, they were held in a containment unit before being sent to prison.

Calling it now, the Lupin Collection cannot bring back the dead, he lied to them.

Random prediction from just one scene interaction: Blue and Pink are going to fall in love... and maybe going to get married by the time of their crossover with the next sentai team...
takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 pm Also also, maybe have a scene with red, yellow, blue to show why these people are important. We know red has a brother, and blue has a fiance? And yellow has... a good friend? Come on, you owe me a sassy and fun yellow this year, don't screw up her characterization by not giving her any backstory. You owe this to me, Toei.
Okay, I think that is a bit unfair. I think this was just a glimpse to the past and future episodes are going to fill in the gaps. some mystery is necessary. we don't know why Lupinred was so upset with his brother and we have yet to see their first meeting (not to mention that whoever did it was deemed worthy of appearing in the opening). the important part here was to tell us what the "wish" was. Otherwise it would be annoying to spend 20 episodes waiting to discover what that "wish" is.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I like this episode

CG seems a little excessive for one of the early episodes for the mechs but it at least makes the fights more interesting.

So the Lupinranger's reason for collecting the collection is because their closest love ones die by this ice Ganglar. A little different but it's something.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Renigami
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Renigami »

Kurokage X wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:28 amSo the Lupinranger's reason for collecting the collection is because their closest love ones die by this ice Ganglar. A little different but it's something.
Spoiler
Or... to bring back live an evil ranger in powers ala Cure Fortune of Happiness Charge Precure once the main trio of heroes completed their book of McGuffin card relics! I see what you did there Toei~!
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Post by DekaBreak »

It's interesting how because Good Striker is the core part of the Gattai, only one team can combine at any one time. Hopefully they come up with another clone or something so we can have a Megazord-on-Megazord fight.

Nice team dynamics, there seems to be more depth to the Lupinranger team than the Gokaigers did by their second episode, very good. Patranger, catch up! I like the sense of duty that the Red cop has, but being loud and shouty in the ops room does not make a second Akaza Ban.

CGI is a bit weird.

But on the whole, I have hopes for this to be the Shinkenger of the 2010s.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i think the puin rangers hung out to make sure the patrangers didnt fail.

and the patrangers costumes being based off actually ploice uniform didnt really strike me until we saw them transform. still dont like them but thought it was clever, but .... Jyuohger has better uniforms.

ALSO! the thieves and police who can never work together sharing a mech REALLY STRONGLY implies that they will work together.
Des_Shinta
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Steve Blum
Favorite Band: JAM Project

Post by Des_Shinta »

takenoko wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 pm
> They're clearly channeling Zenigata for Keiichirou

Who?
Inspector Koichi Zenigata of the ICPO, the detective character from Lupin III who's always chasing Lupin despite him being a benign thief in comparison to each story's actual threat. They have something of a Tom and Jerry dynamic between them, that the show appears to be trying to replicate between the two reds.
Hell, Asaka even dresses like Zenigata.
Additional Fun fact, Zenigata was voiced by our old pal, the great leader of Shocker himself, Goro Naya until about a year before his death.

Even with two episodes though, I feel like they're rushing things again and taking too much time to do action bits than giving something to tangibly establish the characters, with not enough behind character work or to lead into easy expansion that'll be needed to hold up the show long-term. we've had this problem for a while that such which should've been presented fairly early on to validate the characters is left until it's far too late to salvage them. Moreover, the key for getting such a two-team duality to work is a balancing act between the sides; keeping things even between them, instead of emphasizing one group out of two which is Where toei has consistently screwed up with versus Events in the past. They need to spend time with the patranger now to re-balance it, unless they want to make this as so overtly lopsided as they seem to be doing, and have done before.
YuushaEX
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Shinobi
Favorite Actor?: guy who plays dan kuroto
Favorite Band: The Primals
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Final Fantasy
Quote: See you next game

Post by YuushaEX »

Get pumped, get pumped, get pumped! I love this show the theme superb, the gear nice (although would've been nice with something other than blasters) the characters cool (maybe not the robot), the music awesome! suck it build!, although i am sort of getting into it
Transform your life into the best it can be!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

What I want to know is this: how are they going to handle the crossover episodes? A monster invasion would be hard to explain in Build and the wall would be hard to explain in the Super Sentai's world.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”