Lupin VS Pat 13 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun May 20, 2018 11:06 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
58%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 13 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.08/ 5 (12 votes)

Alt Title: Oh Toei, maybe someone you'll not be terrible

It looks like Kei and Sakuya are eating the cockroach bars from Snowpiercer.

Fuwapan is a cute mascot.

Why is there an ugly old man in the top gum commercial?

Don't recognize the Lupin Collection piece this week. It's a stick?

I like Umika's alternate costume.

Man, the monster design is really off this season. So she's supposed to be an otter/kappa? I thought she was a spider/ninja which would have been much cooler.

Wow, good use of the stereo sound design here. Why don't they do that more often?

I was pretty happy to see that this was a Tsukasa/Umika episode, but it's sort of a mixed bag. They definitely have their moments but they feel kind of sparse? Like maybe they should have been chained up longer or maybe they were forced to deal with each other's conflicting stances more. But everything gets resolved a little too quickly for my liking.

I would have been fine if the guys didn't show up at all. Red basically steals the girls' kill. And the Lupins helping the police break the barrier felt like it should have been saved for a more momentous moment in another episode.

Oh, Arakawa wrote this episode? That's weird that you have a lady being the main writer, then you give the girls episode to a dude. Anyway, I didn't feel like we needed Naiyo to show us that not all lady relationships are good. It was a strange step backwards and didn't feel necessary or even terribly funny?

It was a fun episode, but it felt like it could have been stronger, more funnier/meaningful.

Edit: So the monster's weapon is definitely a dildo right? Surely I'm not the only one seeing this.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 13 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

The ladies did alright. Stuntwork's OK.

OK, enough terminating monsters with the Scissors Kaitou Boost.

Can't wait to see the Godfather witness our rangers in danger.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

When Yellow used #3 to tank the hit, I was genuinely shocked and thought it was a great twist. Then I realised it was out of character for Yellow and it was a ruse all along. Shame.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

To be fair to the writer, they're enemy rangers and even untransformed haven't had a lot of screen time together so kinda hard to do a real good "girl power" episode a la Dekaranger. There wasn't as much lesbian baiting as I thought there'd be, which is mildly disappointing.

It was quirky and mildly amusing so I'll count this one as a win.
robinosuke
Shinobi
Shinobi
Favorite series: Kakuranger, Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kyoryuger, Garo,KR W
Dreamy: ♥Yayoi & Rian ♥
Favorite Band: JAMProject,Project R
Quote: Nanika wo eru tame ni wa, Nanika wo sutenakya~
-Basco ta Jolokia

Post by robinosuke »

takenoko wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 pm
Don't recognize the Lupin Collection piece this week. It's a stick?
It's the Shinobi Scrolls from Kakuranger. Makes sense for the MOTW's motif.

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Checks out. Didn't know we had a resident ninja expert.
prowlfire
Adventure

Post by prowlfire »

takenoko wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 pm Edit: So the monster's weapon is definitely a dildo right? Surely I'm not the only one seeing this.
Lol, my initial thought was "oh I guess she farmed some DevilJho".

As for the episode itself, I agree, the conflict between the two rangers didn't last long enough to make me feel anything. They really should have been chained up longer to force them to face their conflicting viewpoints and give the viewers a little bit more to chew on.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I am reminded of Shinkengers when Blue and Green were linked together by the MOTW and had to learn how to fight in harmony rather than doing their own thing.

I was also really shocked by the Yellow "heel turn" and relived that it was a trick.

In the words of the April Fool's edition: Yellow's alternate costume was dramatic goth.

I think that it made sense that there wasn't more Yuri fan service. After all, Yumiko has her BFF on her mind 24/7.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

I see some meme-worthy shots.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

After having a series with only one girl - and therefore ineligible to do a girl power episode - Super Sentai is finally back to doing one. And the results aren't too shabby.

To some degree I feel like the episode was held back by the fact that the Lupins and Pats are still enemies, which may contribute a bit to the "short" feeling Takenoko was talking about. On the other hand it means there's a conflict other than the MOTW. It's still one of the series' stronger episodes.

Buuuuut... this episode really highlights the fact that the basic premise of the Lupins and Pats being rivals has worn itself thin. We're reaching the point where the two have encountered each other enough that they should be asking some serious questions and coming to the conclusion that they need to work together to achieve what's best for everyone. Though I don't expect the two teams to finally reach this point until mid-season, which means a lot more fumbling around by the writers to force the two teams to be rivals.

And hey! We finally got to hear Gauche's leitmotif again! It feels like it's been a couple of months now since it was last used.

Also, where exactly was Tsukasa keeping that gun? Umika's bag was arguably large enough to hold it, but Tsukasa's bag definitely was not.:o
takenoko wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:06 pm Man, the monster design is really off this season. So she's supposed to be an otter/kappa? I thought she was a spider/ninja which would have been much cooler.
Right? With a lot of monsters this season, unless their themes are blindingly obvious, I'm having a hard time identifying the individual components.
Edit: So the monster's weapon is definitely a dildo right? Surely I'm not the only one seeing this.
Are you sure you're not just seeing what you want to see? :o :P
Lunagel wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:49 amThere wasn't as much lesbian baiting as I thought there'd be, which is mildly disappointing.
Last week's preview was a very un-subtle troll, as it's obviously not a direction they'd take the show in. Still, I'm a bit surprised that they used all of their baiting scenes in the preview. They really didn't have anything left that was new to use here.
Last edited by ViRGE on Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:06 pm
Are you sure you're not just seeing what you want to see? :o :p
Girl power!

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”