Lupin VS Pat 23 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:06 am

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
7%
7%

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 23 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4/ 5 (13 votes)

Alt Title: Craftsman Noël

It's a solid silver/blue bonding episode, but feels kind of uneventful overall.

I guess it does introduce 3 sub bosses.

Noël does a triple spin in the air, that was impressive. Liked the little bits where blue and silver were bonding over their professionalism.

Only minor nitpick of this episode: Why were they trying to find a replacement chef for Ushibaroque? Clearly Ushi was against it. And Raimon and Giwi clearly love Ushi's food. Soooo whhhhy? It's not like they said he had something he needed to be doing instead. It honestly feels like Build-level of bad story telling, simply because the whole conflict/plot rotates on this one thing that doesn't exist/make sense.

Can we appreciate that while the PatRangers weren't really in this episode, they made themselves look like contestants in a cooking show, displaying a burned fish, a cup noodle, and a small stack of pancakes with cream on it as their entries?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 23 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

they made themselves look like contestants in a cooking show, displaying a burned fish, a cup noodle, and a small stack of pancakes with cream on it as their entries?
Right?? If the Pats want to hunt down the Raimon Group, leave them a Japanese equivalent of a Zagat 2018 Guidebook, stake them out and then kill them. This isn't hard.

Damn it, Tooma. I really wanna cook again. I have to do Dev Shah's carbonara again.

Seems Status Gold safes can’t be cracked into yet. Monsieur Takao, create a new VS Vehicle that’ll become the master of unlocking these tough safes!

The Collection Piece of the Week’s based off of Denjiman’s Denji Ring, despite the fact that the Piece is modeled as a bangle that looks like a microwave.

OK episode. At the very least, I want to cook again thanks to this one.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Too bad Denjiman wasn't DenjiRanger. At one point, Tooma says the phrase "denji renji" whichi s the Japanese word for "microwave". Almost sounded like DenjiRanger to me.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 am Only minor nitpick of this episode: Why were they trying to find a replacement chef for Ushibaroque? Clearly Ushi was against it. And Raimon and Giwi clearly love Ushi's food. Soooo whhhhy? It's not like they said he had something he needed to be doing instead. It honestly feels like Build-level of bad story telling, simply because the whole conflict/plot rotates on this one thing that doesn't exist/make sense.
Noël and Tooma overheard Ushibaroque say that he would be much busier in the future and therefore someone else needed to do the cooking. Earlier in the episode, Raimon said he expects to become Dogranio's successor. That would in turn mean that Giwi and Ushibaroque would become Raimon's generals. This might be a case of the Japanese tendency to imply rather than explicitly explain and expect the audience to connect the dots.

I'm impressed by how Noël was able to find common ground with such a grumpy wet blanket like Tooma.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I guess that makes sense. I just wish they had put the foundation of that notion in for me. The monster of the week's motivations should be understandable by the time the episode ends. It's not like it's a puzzle to be solved or a grand mystery.

I like Tooma as a cynic. He knows what the stakes are and what he stands to lose if he messes up.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

One thing of interest is that VS vehicles can't open Status Gold safes. That never came up before, so something did happen to move along the plot at least a little bit.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Blue focus episodes are the worst. I just don't find him compelling enough for them to be enjoyable. Maybe if this episode was Dark Kitchen levels of absurd it might be a little more enjoyable.

Not a fan of how the Pats didn't do anything the whole episode.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

I just love watching people do what they love to do with such passion, and watchin Tooma teaching those people cooking really put a smile on my face.

Man, how did Noël queeze so much tech out of a simple iPhone? Which also makes me wonder, why didn't they give him an iPhone X?!? Missed opportunity IMO.

Today it was confirmed that the X-Trains have a built-in USB port. I wonder if Noël uses it to listen to music from his phone. Maybe the songs that give names to the Lupin Collection?

We also leaned that VS Vehicles can't open gold safes and that they can also break and Noël seems to be the only one with the techology to repair them. Imagine if all this had happened before he appeared. Good thing that bad thing only happen when they can be solved.
This Week's Lupin Collection
This week's item is called La chaleur est là/The heat is on.

It grants the user the power to generate heatwaves usig their hands, though you probably don't want to cook with that alone. I heard it's better to use a pan or a grill on top of actual fire.

It (roughly) resembles the Denzi Ring, the transformation item used in Denshi Sentai Denziman. Although this one is made to look like a microwave oven with the Denziman logo on it a must have item for the lonely toku fan.
It's named after the song "The Heat Is On" by Glenn Frey, I pressume.

Image Image
Preview/Promo
Character developemen AND back-story? Count me in!
OMG, Herlock Sholmès? :lol: :lol: :lol:
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Hey Kogure, a question: Why didn't you inform the thieves about the Ganglar's Status system?? At the very least, in light of Kairi personally encountering Destra/Gauche/Zamigo (Gold safes!), you should've said something before this episode.

I have a hunch that "Status Gold" was a patch for all the big name Ganglars after Arsene Lupin stole the Collection from them.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

TypicalStandUser wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:23 pm Hey Kogure, a question: Why didn't you inform the thieves about the Ganglar's Status system??
Maybe he thought it didn't make a practical difference? I mean, not even Noël knew that the VS Vehicles couldn't open the gold safes. And he's the tech wiz!!
Maybe Kogure thought gold safes just had something to do with hierarchy.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

Not a bad way to show the talents of one ranger, but it could've been better if it wasn't an Iron Chef rip-off. I know cooking is an art form and even the villains need to eat, but a showdown with new villains is just sloppy as if we don't get a proper continuation of the story, what was the point of having them?

I'm not liking the duality of Noel as he's going to get caught in a horrible way and everyone will pay. While it's nice to know the Collection pieces can be fixed and improved, it begs the question at why none of the rangers aren't stronger. I thought we'd get the other traditional colors followed by one on one team and silver on the other, not gold and silver as one. I hope that the other rangers get something to help them power up soon. The best way for both teams to fall is for two strong Ganglars to be on opposite side of town and one treasure can be safely extracted before the numerous explosions start. Forget two teams of three with a fourth jumping around, you've got one dead series.

One of this biggest things I hate about sixth rangers is that they make the rest of the team seam weak and steal the show...hence the reason why I thing Tommy Oliver should die. It's almost like by the time the new guy shows up, the technology has been improved to the point of creating a stronger version of the existing team, but goes to one, like Bouken Silver who was confirmed to have Neo Engines, but not much else was said for everyone else. Give me extra rangers who have new tricks and are able to share them over one all powerful being who ends up falling hard from being alone.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Anyone else having a problem with the video being kinda buggy??? During the opening, the video keeps lagging and when it starts up again the audio is distorted. On a side note, ALL THE FOOD IS MAKING MY MOUTH WATER AND NOW I'M HUNGRY AND I JUST ATE!!! xD
Last edited by WannaFantaMan on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Actually, in Boukenger, the Neo Parallel Engines were implemented on the others vehicles after Silver's debut.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I have to assume this little arc here with the mini-bosses is eventually going to lead to more information about Status Gold and the Ganglars in general. Which would be a very welcome development. As strong as this series is, it's really been dragging out the world building with respect to just what the collection pieces are and their relationship with the Ganglars.

In the meantime this was an enjoyable enough episode. As is tradition, Noel is going to spend some time bonding with all of the other Rangers. And the choice of scenarios was nice enough. Though I do agree that Tooma episodes fall just a bit flat; he's such a straight man that he's not very excitable. At least not when faced with a huge dilemma (which this episode doesn't really bring).

And I'm a bit late to the party mentally, but I'm only now finally realizing how limited Noel's equipment is in a way. As cool as it is for his VS vehicles to be his gun, he can't launch other VS vehicles. This means he can't even form his own robo without help from the others. Normally the 6th Ranger has all the same abilities as the core team plus more. But in this case he's handicapped in a very interesting way.

(Also, this episode made me really hungry)
takenoko wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 am Can we appreciate that while the PatRangers weren't really in this episode, they made themselves look like contestants in a cooking show, displaying a burned fish, a cup noodle, and a small stack of pancakes with cream on it as their entries?
I feel like this episode really underscores the writing/stakes of the show. As cool as the Pats are, they are not the primary characters of the show. You can write the show entirely with the Lupins, but the reverse - an episode with just the Pats - doesn't work, particularly due to the collection piece mechanics of the world. It undermines the Pats in some ways.
Arigomi wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm
takenoko wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 am Only minor nitpick of this episode: Why were they trying to find a replacement chef for Ushibaroque? Clearly Ushi was against it. And Raimon and Giwi clearly love Ushi's food. Soooo whhhhy? It's not like they said he had something he needed to be doing instead. It honestly feels like Build-level of bad story telling, simply because the whole conflict/plot rotates on this one thing that doesn't exist/make sense.
Noël and Tooma overheard Ushibaroque say that he would be much busier in the future and therefore someone else needed to do the cooking. Earlier in the episode, Raimon said he expects to become Dogranio's successor. That would in turn mean that Giwi and Ushibaroque would become Raimon's generals. This might be a case of the Japanese tendency to imply rather than explicitly explain and expect the audience to connect the dots.
IMO, that still doesn't make sense. Ushibaroque knew what was going on and still clearly had issues with being replaced. Having Ushibaroque simultaneously taking part in the kidnappings - demonstrating that he knows why a new chef is needed and is going along with it - and being opposed to having a new chef puts the two points at odds with each other.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

WannaFantaMan wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:26 am Anyone else having a problem with the video being kinda buggy??? During the opening, the video keeps lagging and when it starts up again the audio is distorted. On a side note, ALL THE FOOD IS MAKING MY MOUTH WATER AND NOW I'M HUNGRY AND I JUST ATE!!! xD
Check the CRC to see if you have an incomplete download. If it doesn't match, load up the torrent for the version you download and have it finished the download.

Since Noel is able to break into safes, it's completely possible to have a Patranger only episode.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”