Lupin VS Pat 39 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:55 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
27%
☆☆☆☆
55%
☆☆☆
9%
☆☆
9%
No votes

Total votes: 11
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 39 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 3.71 / 5 (14 votes)

Alt Title: Strap a rocket pack to your back, but don't fly, no, not the ebi fry one

Super LupinRed, looks pretty cool! I hope he gains some interesting mobility abilities on top of that (as well as shares it with the other Lupins?) The ability to read your opponent is an interesting and not common ability. I can dig it.

The Pats literally stand to the side and watch as the Lupins take care of things. I mean, they're there so Noel can access their database (with no cyber security blocking him apparently) and Kei becomes more of a big brother for Kairi as well as notices LupinRed's anger. They're good touches, and it's important to do those little details, but it still doesn't amount to the Pats doing much.

Nice Noel moment here between him and Blue/Yellow. Oh, I guess Sakuya gives Umika some advice, who looks cute in her civilian clothes this episode. But they draw a big red circle around Noel and add a question mark again. I suppose it'd be a shocking reveal to learn Zamigo didn't take away Noel's important person, if we knew anything about Noel's back story? Seriously, what are you keeping that in your back pocket for?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 39 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

There it is. Just because the Shrimp Mafioso made it out of being iced by Zamigo, that doesn't mean the loved ones can come out unscathed. Remember: Zamigo makes human disguises for the Ganglars. That little rampage he made that inflicted tragedy upon the Lupinrangers might've been to fulfill orders for otherworldly mafiosos vested in Dogranio's contest or committing high-level crimes on Earth long before said contest.

Here it is! LupinRed VS Zamigo Round 2!! Almost a curbstomp but Zamigo got smart.

Figured Goodie could do the super-jet formation.

Good on Keiichirou to analyze Round 2. Despite being benchwarmers again, they're getting close to why the Thieves are the Thieves. And good on Kairi to start pondering if Noel's being honest.

That one scene between Destra and Gauche... Total flag for Destra's impending demise.

The Collection Piece of the Week is an item based off of Jetman. The item’s art has the rangers drawn in a way that references a scene in Jetman's opening where the rangers drop off their Jet Machines, wingsuit-style. Despite the rangers’ logos not having the bird part of it, the sharp triangle base of the logo is there. The green gem may reference Jeff/Green Eagle from the non-canonical Jetman manga.

Good episode. This should move the storyline along.
Last edited by TypicalStandUser on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, the jet scene is pretty weird, since they're already jets. A bigger jet is a bit underwhelming?
TypicalStandUser
Save the life

The Jetman ranger suits have wings based off of birds in general, not jet wings.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I think we're talking about different things. I was talking about the mech fight
TypicalStandUser
Save the life

Oh dear... Yes, Goodie went overkill on this one.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Wrote a joke in the notes that I meant to post here:

You can tell Kairi is French because he's carrying around baguettes and wearing a beret.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Even if it totally confirms we were suppose to get a Super Patren1 last time but didn't, I still really like Super LupinRed. He doesn't do much overly flashy compared to usual, but having a super sense combined with his two guns makes for some really cool sharpshooting. Plus, the armor actually looks quite cool for something with two big safe dials on the sides of the shoulders!

Victory Lupin Kaiser wasn't that special, especially since this is the third mech formation that uses Splash and Magic as arms. And it's 'ability' to fly is incredibly unremarkable because 1) Lupin Kaiser could already fly since it's debut , and 2) It's just normal Good Striker with some added bits. The plane fight was at least still fun.

And now it's also confirmed that the thieves' loved ones are probably alive and out there somewhere. Things are already looking brighter for them than it did for Kamen Rider Accel! Though they probably won't actually beat Zamigo until the very end so they probably will still end up collecting every piece of the collection anyway.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I wonder if Noel is tied to Gauche in some way. I figured when he bailed from fighting her a few weeks ago it was because he didn't want to be exposed as a Ganglar, but considering he had no idea who Zamigo was, his loved one wasn't frozen/transported away and the ending kind of implies Gauche might be involved.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

So, what will be the endgame now?

* Defeat Zamigo and get the hostages back with Kogure being irrelevant.

* Defeat Zamigo but find out that the hostages can only be unfrozen with Kogure's Lupin wish.

* Defeat Zamigo but find out that the humans can not be unfrozen like Ganglars, and they use Kogure's Lupin wish to change history and nullify the season.

* Defeat Zamigo, Kogure's Lupin Wish is a fraud, and the hostages are saved by another means (season nullification by way of Ranger Watch).

Odd that none of the choices involve big evil. This might be the first Super Sentai season where big evil sits on his butt and does nothing all season. Maybe there is another way to play the end game:

* Zamigo is defeated, the last Lupin piece is collected, and the hostages are freed. The lupin's pretty much quit the series (or find out they can no longer henshin) and Pat's have to fight big evil and the henchmen (if there are any that haven't been death flagged by then). The Pat's use all of the cool toys the Lupin's were hogging and put big evil down.

It would be a pretty funny spot though if when big evil has to get up to fight he spontaneously keels over dead and Gauche examines him and says "Zomg, he drank himself to death! Viewers, please only use alcohol in moderation.".
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Digit wrote:Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:03 am Sorry, new to this, wasn't sure about where exactly to point out potential errors. Was watching Lupin vs Patranger 39 and had a moment of 'eh?' when Tooma was telling Umiko 'did you forget? He's one of the Lupin-" at 09:19

In context, shouldn't he be saying 'he's one of the Pat-"? or Police?
Doesn't she say Lupin-ke? I think Luna probably should have put down Lupin family? Since they think Noel's in cahoots with Kogure. Next time, it's alright to bring this up in the discussion thread, since then Luna the translator can comment on it directly.

I'll mention it to Luna in case she wants to change it in her script in case a v2 is needed.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oh Tooma's line got cut off, it wasn't a full sentence, hence the - at the end of the sentence. Might've been easier to parse with Lupin fam- but Umika mentioned him being part of the family earlier in the episode as the reason why not to tell him
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Good episode and a reason to move the plot forward.

Too bad, Pats just like fight there for a while, get floated by Collection's power and then the MOTW just went into hiding. Their action just stops there.

The jet scene was rather weird for they are flying vehicles and then finishing with a Kamen Rider like spinning kick.

That aside, I rather have they wrapped up the conflict with Zamigo soon, of course not just as Lupins but Pats playing a good role in it too. He just came out of nowhere this late and then adios for a third confrontation.
Spoiler
Wait really, Siren LupinKaiser Strong, as in replacing Splash with Crane and Drill? How the hell that happens? Magic's illusion? Victory's ability? Or Noel secretly borrowed/stole Crane and Drill from core Pats?

One more thing, next episode is a filler again? That's a bummer.
We got about 10 episodes left but this is for next week. We got too much of it already, can't they step up for a full fight with Destra or something. Wonder how can they wrapped things up before next season arrives? Next week, Pats on vacation. I don't think they will get any fighting action.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

resop2 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:33 am So, what will be the endgame now?

* Defeat Zamigo and get the hostages back with Kogure being irrelevant.

* Defeat Zamigo but find out that the hostages can only be unfrozen with Kogure's Lupin wish.

* Defeat Zamigo but find out that the humans can not be unfrozen like Ganglars, and they use Kogure's Lupin wish to change history and nullify the season.

* Defeat Zamigo, Kogure's Lupin Wish is a fraud, and the hostages are saved by another means (season nullification by way of Ranger Watch).

Odd that none of the choices involve big evil. This might be the first Super Sentai season where big evil sits on his butt and does nothing all season. Maybe there is another way to play the end game:

* Zamigo is defeated, the last Lupin piece is collected, and the hostages are freed. The lupin's pretty much quit the series (or find out they can no longer henshin) and Pat's have to fight big evil and the henchmen (if there are any that haven't been death flagged by then). The Pat's use all of the cool toys the Lupin's were hogging and put big evil down.

It would be a pretty funny spot though if when big evil has to get up to fight he spontaneously keels over dead and Gauche examines him and says "Zomg, he drank himself to death! Viewers, please only use alcohol in moderation.".
Since next ep filler again, I think the ending is so so and not too much plot twist as audience hyped. They only have 10 episodes to left (if 50 episodes), but there are 1 episode for New Year to recap (filler), around 2-3 episodes for Christmas battle in next month and 4 episodes for end-film. Maybe some more filler episodes after Pat and Lupin fight together and know Lupin's identity.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This episode is kind of weird. It's great right up to the mecha fight, and then it gets kind of odd.

On the plus side, the Zamigo/Lupin plot is finally moving forward. I can't be bothered to go checking individual episodes, but it feels like it's been a good 8-10 episodes since that was really advanced at all. So it's high time it happened. And while Kairi hogs the screen as is tradition for Red and their super upgrade, he puts the screen time to good use. The actor plays the situation well, and you get a really good impression of his rage and personal stake in all of this.

Super LupinRed also looks pretty good. Not the prettiest super form (Shishi Red Orion really rocked that caped white look last year), but certainly not the worst. That the Lupins can finally go toe-to-toe with a seemingly invincible enemy is very much a big deal, and giving the wearer the ability to see the future is definitely a more interesting than usual way to justify why the super form is so overpowered at its debut.

I will say however that it's kind of odd that Kairi is off on his own for most of this episode. He just kind of forgot that he was part of a team; but it also wasn't a deliberate lone-wolf thing. I think the writers may have been struggling here to put the other Lupins to use.

Of course, it could be worse. They could be the Pats, who haven't actually used their robo since last month.:P

On which note, the mecha fight is where it gets all kinds of weird. I won't prattle on here, as everyone has already covered the obvious stuff here: the CGI sequence was pretty much just Good Striker flying around for no good reason, and it seems like every Lupin mecha combination these days involves Splash and Magic, for reasons I cannot determine. Also, Victory LupinKaiser is kind of a let-down. Since the arms don't change, it's just Splash Magic with an oversized chest piece.
takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:55 pm The ability to read your opponent is an interesting and not common ability. I can dig it.
Presumably it's an ability not given to characters too often because it's so easy to become overpowered. So it will be interesting to see how the writers avoid that here. Zamigo getting away only worked here because the projectile was unrealistically slow.
TypicalStandUser wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:21 am That one scene between Destra and Gauche... Total flag for Destra's impending demise.
I really hope not! But you're probably right. Which would be a shame, as he's the one Ganglar with anything resembling a character arc.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”