Lupin VS Pat 40 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:35 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
17%
8%

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 40 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4 / 5 (10 votes)

Alt Title: Is this a blue and yellow episode?

Why is Gauche saying things are getting serious? What is this a reference to?

What's with this storytelling format? So Blue and Yellow spend the whole episode worrying, but instead of learning to overcome their worries, they're used as a stepping off point for red and silver to fix everything. Also, Pats show up one minute before the end of the show. Thanks for making an appearance, I guess?

And X seriously can't activate his armor on his own? Really? Remember like 10 episodes ago when Tsukasa noticed that X can't summon vehicles and they never addressed it again? I mean, is this a story thing or just a dumb toy limitation thing?

Fuck you Goody, you fourth wall breaking asshole. Who do you think you are?

Preview lied. It made it look like all three robo would work together, but it really was all LupinKaiser once X and Magnum failed to take out the MOTW.

I know I've been pretty negative, but for the part of the episode that is blue/yellow focused, it's pretty good? They're funny and ridiculous and Kairi doesn't even get to speak in the first 10 minutes.

Then they flip the switch and it's suddenly about Kairi not being able to deal with Kei-chan acting like his brother. But somehow, Kairi learns to accept Kei at the end?

I kind of wish this had been a straight blue/yellow episode learning to deal with stuff without Kairi to fix things. I think that would have made for a stronger episode. Then they could have properly did an episode about Kairi and Kei working things out, instead of cramming it at the end of this one.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Lupin VS Pat 40 Released!

Post by Lunagel »

YES! MY TIME HAS COME!!!

Manatees are marine mammals found in the Atlantic ocean and rivers around that area, in the tropics. They generally move pretty freely between fresh and saltwater environments. They are also cuter than dugongs. The dugong is found in tropical areas in the Pacific and Indian oceans and prefer saltwater. The two species, while related, are never found together in the wild due to different native habitats. The easiest way to tell them apart is to look at the tails. Manatees have a rounded spoon-ish tail while dugongs tails are forked like a mermaid. (Incidentally the manatee/dugong is said to be the origin of the mermaid myth but it'd have to be a veeeeeeeery drunk sailor to think that was a beautiful woman)

And all that time I spent in elementary school researching my favorite animal has finally come to use.

That said, I really enjoyed this episode, despite it being a filler. It was probably my favorite so far. The far-fetched worryings of Umika and Tooma were delightfully hilarious, and the callback to the leotard episode was inspired. I definitely could've wished for some more Pat interaction but I think at this point we're just waiting for the endgame so kinda pointless.

Way to play with my expectations, last week's sneak peek editor.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Maybe I'm not feeling the monster designs this year, but besides the boat stuff poking out from the monster's front, I really couldn't tell what it was supposed to be.

Also manatees and dugongs look the same to me, even though I've never heard of a dugong before now.

Also mermaids:
http://takkynoko.tumblr.com/post/179832 ... x-kenken-b
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

A second-long stare then looking away after asking if Kairi’s bored with the mission… Thieves, Jeeves may be onto you about Zamigo. Stop worrywartin’ about what Kairi’s gonna do with his life, GET BACK IN THE GAME.

Heartwarming that Noel’s encouraging Kairi to bond with his teammates and Kei-chan after all the worry.

So, Gai, are you free to steal the MOTW’s Sentai Compilation book??

The Collection Piece of the Week is the Cube Whale/Dodekai-Oh’s Kai-Oh Spear from Jyuohger. This is the 2nd shoutout to said Sentai series after the Comme Un Cube Qui Roule/Jyuoh Changer piece.

Filler. No Patrangers involved in any fight.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
SVNBob
Go Go!
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by SVNBob »

Lunagel wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 am The easiest way to tell them apart is to look at the tails. Manatees have a rounded spoon-ish tail while dugongs tails are forked like a mermaid.
That explains his introduction and his arms. One had the dugong fork, the other the manatee spoon, and he presented the appropriate arm when saying the matching portion of his name.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I'm okay with filler episodes. But this one in particular was kind of a mess for the reasons Takenoko already pointed out. The story was unfocused and the earlier acts didn't do a good job of setting up the later acts. The series as a whole has been struggling a bit for the last 10 episodes, and this one isn't helping.

And the usual complaining about the lack of the Pats aside, I'm now just going to start keeping a counter for the how many episodes it's been since PatKaiser last appeared.

Number of episodes since the last PatKaiser fight: 4
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I just had a devious thought. What if Kairi, instead of loading a legitimate version of the game he was playing, loaded a trick version of the game that allowed Kairi to spy on Kei's location? Noel is a super tech wiz so you could do a hand wave and say that Noel programmed it for Kairi. This would allow Kairi to avoid accidentally bumping into Kei.
scot64
Gao

Post by scot64 »

Overall funny episode with Kari working out Tooma and Umika's worries.

Anyone know what the breed of the puppy is? I think it is an Akita
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Aren't Akita more thick than that? Maybe a white shiba inu puppy?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

It kinda felt like this episode was doing it's best to avoid being a pure jokey filler episode by having character development, but it's odd for all the reasons already mentioned by others. How it doesn't really go all the way on focusing on Blue and Yellow.

Also with how much Kairi's animosity towards Keichiro has been building up for a while now, I can only assume this episode was written by a different writer and that the bit at the end will be put aside. I expect next time the reds share the spotlight, they'll pick up from that plot point proper again.

I've gripped about the merchandise before and it's unfair spread, so instead of complaining about how they remind you that Lupin Kaiser has five heads to Pat's one and that two are Trigger Machines... I'll instead point out that the mecha have overall been pretty unexciting through this year! Victory Lupin Kaiser, which is the 'final' robot is barely any different in function or aesthetics from the very first mecha. Honestly, Lupin Magnum was the most exciting toy by far.

Whoops, I forgot to say anything really positive about the episode so it sounds like I really hated it. I don't at all, but it's really all just a bunch of little things that add up to me thinking that it's so close to being so much better.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Not really feeling this episode. I don't really get what the change in Kairi was that caused him to stop being a dick to Keiichiro.

At least next week it looks like its ramping it up.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

I was going to skip this show but end up washing the 40 episodes in like 1 month. I don't like Kairi (too emo for being a main red), the shows feels like 2 separate stories, the cops are almost useless... The only thing that keep you interested and watching is the mystery behind the reward when the collection is complete however now that they know that their loves ones are not dead but "somewhere" else the story lose a lot of weight. Lets hope there is some kind of plot twist behind Noel and Kogure at least.
Final Vent!
scot64
Gao

Post by scot64 »

I was watching this again and I noticed that in the beginning that at 0:13 the sub is "off playing hooky" and Kogure says his usual "sabotage" comment about Kairi
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

scot64 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:56 am I was watching this again and I noticed that in the beginning that at 0:13 the sub is "off playing hooky" and Kogure says his usual "sabotage" comment about Kairi
Japanese "sabotage" has a different nuance than the English, hence why I didn't use the word itself.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, "sabotage" as used in Japanese is totally different from the English meaning. Sabo suru is the phrase they use for cutting class or playing hooky or skipping out on work.

Another good loan word to know is "cunning suru". In Japanese that's what they use to mean "to cheat" like to cheat on a test and stuff.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”