Lupin VS Pat 42 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:54 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
87%
☆☆☆☆
7%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 42 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.13 / 5 (8 votes)

Alt Title: Clash at Destra Head

Whoa, pacing! Destra looks at Kairi and guesses at his identity. Unsatisfying??? (Oh, but Destra dies at the end, so it doesn't matter anyway. Shrug emoji)

Man, what is with this imagery. I know they want to up the ante, but has Destra always been able to launch a mini nuke in the city?

Did anyone else think Kairi and Kei would reach out their hands to each other when they were on the ground?

Destra is Gundam Heavy Arms.

I really liked this episode. It felt like someone went through my checklist of complaints and just gave me everything I asked for.
-The Pats and Lupins working together, without saying anything too on top of it, they just know each other so well
-Great moments between LupinRed and PatRan Ichigou
-Finally, a mecha fires the Lupin Magnum as a gun

Like, it would have been nice if we could have had more Blue, Yellow, Nigou, and Sangou moments, but it's hard to complain when every other aspect of the episode was so good.

So after this episode, I feel like they gave us a big hint as to what Noel's backstory is.
My theory on Noel's backstory
Gauche scans him and sees something. I think it's safe to say at this point that Noel's backstory is complete bullshit. He doesn't have anyone to save, because Zamigo didn't take anyone from him. That's just a lie he told the Lupins to get them to trust him.

I think it's probably safe to say he's not human. I'm guessing he's a living humanoid Collection piece or something Arsene built to guard the Collection pieces. I don't recall the details, but does Noel ever say that someONE was taken from him or does he say something was taking from him generically? I think he's just trying to take back the Collection pieces, because as one, he feels an affinity towards them.
I don't know if anyone read my criticism of the pacing of the show in general:
viewtopic.php?f=240&t=23161&p=260276#p260267
But it would have been nice if this episode had happened a little earlier? Then we could have had more time for Lupin and Pats to work together against a common foe. They didn't even need to be outright allies either, just more episodes where they're reluctant bedfellows or they agree to work together but are still distrustful of each other. Kind of feels like there won't be much time for that with how few episodes are left, but still, would be nice to see.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 42 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Teamwork VS Destra. The Flag-at-Full Mast Maggio has obtained the Super Strikers thanks to Gauche. Both teams have made it clear to manipulate each other to take back the Super Strikers and defeat the capo.

And there it is: Noel gets triggered after being detected by the Gueris Le Mode. And then Kogure tells him to stand down!!

Hey kids… Don’t drink alcohol. It could make you an angry, vengeful mafioso.

Oh nice. The next episode should have lotsa wham. Show it to me, Toei... Show me who Noel Takao TRULY IS.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

09:50 - Destra shoots missiles at the police building. 20 seconds later, the camera shows the exact same building with absolutely no damage at all.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

xiiliea wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 am 09:50 - Destra shoots missiles at the police building. 20 seconds later, the camera shows the exact same building with absolutely no damage at all.
Lawl, I love it when a show goes, "SCREW YOU CONTINUITY!!!" But HOLY HELL was this an awesome episode! I think it's safe for me to say that the episodes where they have to not attack each other in order to win the day are the best ones.
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

xiiliea wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:17 am 09:50 - Destra shoots missiles at the police building. 20 seconds later, the camera shows the exact same building with absolutely no damage at all.
Things like that always happen in the any tokusatsu show. Just ignore it.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

VSX being all CGI really takes the impact out of the robot fight. The episode was pretty good up to that point but the giant battle seemed underwhelming.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 pm -Finally, a mecha fires the Lupin Magnum as a gun

Didn't Lupin Kaiser already do this at the end of episode 35? "Good Striker Shoot 'em Up Magnum"?
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 pm
Whoa, pacing! Destra looks at Kairi and guesses at his identity. Unsatisfying??? (Oh, but Destra dies at the end, so it doesn't matter anyway. Shrug emoji)
Actually, Kairi revealed his identity to Destra when he got Scissor and Blade (you know with the French lady).
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger

Now, count up your sins!

Post by hiro9796 »

Yup, totally satisfying episode. Last week wasn't too bad either. Just wish they had this kind of moment much earlier rather than unneeded fillers. Oh well, all I can say, nice work Kei-chan. Good to you too, Kairi.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

See kids? Doesn't everything work so much better when you play nicely together?

Where was this episode 3 months ago? The usual mid-30s Sentai Slog aside, Lupin vs. Pat has been stuck in a rut in big part because it kept the teams isolated, and most of the focus on the Lupins. Now that the two teams are deliberately working together on something and not fighting in the process, and both teams are being given equal screentime, everything is awesome. I mean hell, does anyone else feel like this episode felt like a mini-finale? It's only episode 42 and Destra has already leveled Tokyo! :shock: (Seriously, the show just unambiguously killed a whole lot of people)

I really can't say enough nice things about this episode. Everything worked to well. The pacing was on point, the plot was driven by a significant thread, major series' plot threads were advanced, and the characters' actions and planning were driven in a believable manner. Which is to say based on character interaction and not happenstance or the plot moving that way because it needed to. We got to see the resolve of both teams, and it was rooted in their appropriate backstories. I can't even complain about Noel for once - it's clear we're finally going to start unraveling him.

I will say this though: why does Destra get a cool gravity weapon when he has Siren Striker, while all Noel gets is a chest cannon? :P

I really hope they can keep up this pace. In our side-thread complaining about the Pats not getting any attention and what went wrong with the series, it's clear that this show went off the rails around episode 30 in order to accommodate some toy promotion changes. However now that we're in the final stretch, hopefully things are being forced back on the rails since we're basically done with toys and the show needs to wrap up its already long-established plot threads.

Also, did anyone catch that drink at the end between the Lupins? I'm pretty sure Touma's actor wasn't meant to drink the whole glass.:lol:
takenoko wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:54 pm Man, what is with this imagery. I know they want to up the ante, but has Destra always been able to launch a mini nuke in the city?
Well with two very powerful collection pieces - particularly Siren Striker - I don't see why not. He was already very powerful to begin with, and at least in his hands, that thing is incredibly potent.
Did anyone else think Kairi and Kei would reach out their hands to each other when they were on the ground?
Oh good, that wasn't just me.
-Finally, a mecha fires the Lupin Magnum as a gun
It's about damn time!
But it would have been nice if this episode had happened a little earlier? Then we could have had more time for Lupin and Pats to work together against a common foe. They didn't even need to be outright allies either, just more episodes where they're reluctant bedfellows or they agree to work together but are still distrustful of each other. Kind of feels like there won't be much time for that with how few episodes are left, but still, would be nice to see.
You will get no argument here. Something like this needed to happen sooner. The two teams being so distant ceased to be a virtue and started to become a problem for the show after the midway point. Their development had to come to a screeching halt in order to justify them remaining full-time enemies.
I'm pretty sure the Pats shot all of the missiles down, didn't they?
Catastrophe wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:08 am VSX being all CGI really takes the impact out of the robot fight. The episode was pretty good up to that point but the giant battle seemed underwhelming.
Toei must have spent a small fortune on the first VSX fight. They once again recycled almost all of the animation and models for this episode. They even added Lupin Magnum to VSX's victory pose.

And the points where they created new footage, it was clearly inferior. Shooting down the missiles and having the left train hand fire at Destra was done at a much lower quality level. And I'm 99% sure that for the recycled melee attack footage, they used footage of the Destra suit instead of a CGI Ganglar like in the original fight. So the two combatants don't match each other in materials and lighting, because you can pick up on the small differences even Toei's realistic CGI misses. And then they CGI'd that cannon body on Destra, and that too was subpar quality...

There's no way for that fight not to be underwhelming. An all CGI formation only works well if Toei is going to be willing to do high quality CGI all the time with it. Their standard CGI simply leaves too much to be desired. And the fact that they're mixing the two only makes it more obvious how bad the low-quality VSX looks.

Number of episodes since the last PatKaiser fight: 6
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Destra says before he shoots "Let me get their attention." so perhaps he was using blank rounds?

Just going by Gauche's giggle after using the magic mirror of truth on Noel, the possibility of Noel secretly being Mine Fujiko is still open.

At least Sayaka was able to not be creepy while sharing the cockpit with Yellow.

Since OG Nichigou is from French HQ's, does he also know the Lupin's secret identities?

Will this episode give Kei-chan the idea that it would be useful if Noel made the police a dial device so the police could disarm a Ganglar without having to use the Lupins?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

This episode rocked my socks off. It had just about everything I love about this show, action and character wise.

I agree with others entirely that the story stretching out it's keystone developments and big scenes like these really do hurt the pacing as a whole. But just looking at this episode individually? It's essentially perfect, and admittedly that it took this long to come around does increase the impact of seeing all the characters in sync.

I almost, almost didn't mind Noel using what is rightfully Keichiro's Super form, because that line-up of the five suits was so cool.

Big CGI battle reusing bits of animation is egregious as heck, but I didn't mind it too much. The finisher where all the VS Vehicles are loaded into the Lupin Magnum's barrel and easily overpowering Destra's final attack was insanely awesome.
resop2 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:41 am Destra says before he shoots "Let me get their attention." so perhaps he was using blank rounds
Like ViRGE said, they were shot down by the Pats.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Brought a smile to my face. Lupin and Pat are still not friends, but they know they can rely on each other when they cannot stop the Ganglars alone.

My only nitpicks: too bad that the Patrangers did not take the Trigger Machines from team Lupin (Splash/Siren). And I wish Blue/Yellow could have used their Knight/Magic arms to have everyone powered up in the final attack.

Also, has X Train Fire ever been used for safecracking? I do not think so, but it is inspired by Dial Fighters and has a dial of its own.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

<Useless information warning>

I just watched Morning Musume.'17 DVD magazine 105 and it was revealed that Kudo Haruka, unlike her character Umika, is really bad with haunted houses.

</Useless information warning>
hiro9796
TQG
TQG

Now, count up your sins!

Post by hiro9796 »

resop2 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:32 am <Useless information warning>

I just watched Morning Musume.'17 DVD magazine 105 and it was revealed that Kudo Haruka, unlike her character Umika, is really bad with haunted houses.

</Useless information warning>
Wow, that's quite the irony. I wonder if the actress herself was trying her best in pretending not to break haha

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”