Lupin VS Pat 44 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 am

☆☆☆☆☆
53%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 44 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.5 / 5 (10 votes)

Alt Title: Are the police thieves, because they really stole the show

...this time at least. Hope you watched Another PatRan Nigou, or the discovery that Satoru's dead would fall kind of flat!

Points to Komura for some unexpected twists. Yeah, we all knew Satoru was a fake, but I figured he was just imprisoned or something. I think we were all betting that Noel was a living Collection piece. I don't think any of us were expecting him, Arsene, and Kogure to be aliens. I was wrong about Noel lying about wanting to bring someone back, and I'm pleased to see it tie into his relationship with Arsene.

The dial lock on the Lupin book is a nice touch. Never noticed that before.

It doesn't do anything mind blowing, but it's a good solid episode and a win for the Pats for once.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Lupin VS Pat 44 Released!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Noel Takao's race kind created the Lupin Collection and lived in the same world as the Ganglars, before, presumably Dogranio and the Ganglars, violently deported them from life and/or their homeworld. Then Arsene Lupin started the legendary run that compiled the Collection into what it is.

To prove to the thieves that the mission is of utmost importance, Jeeves leaves the Book and the auditing process of the Collection to them. I don’t like this move from him, considering he could pull off a gambit and either take the Book back or get to that safehouse he mentioned to manipulate the Collection.

Sakuya’s the only person willing to believe in Noel’s innocence while Keiichirou and Tsukasa are upset. Then they realize that the leaks were from the French HQ based on callbacks and Kei-chan finds something weird in his music player. Then again, Zamigo might’ve left a backdoor on the Japan HQ’s servers.

OF COURSE, a mafioso took up Satoru’s disguise and engineered the frame job. He also had the gall to tell the Patrangers that the real Satoru is dead. The Patrangers better start the Public Enemy hunt for Zamigo after all this. Also, with this revelation, Another Patran Nigou’s ending could be a bad one because the Ganglars may already have Bistro Jurer’s address.

I’ve been wondering about the day when Dogranio repossessed the Collection from Arsene… I could point the finger at Jeeves for leaking the location, but I need more evidence.

The Collection Pieces of the Week are Abarekiller’s Wing Pentact from Abaranger and Shurikenger’s Shuriken’s Bat from Hurricaneger.

Good episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my new theory on Zamigo. So he's in the business of making disguises for Ganglars, right? He also has a tendency to capture them with his ice, which teleports them somewhere, not kill them.

So maybe he takes them and turns them into disguises, but given this is a kid's show, that's kind of morbid. I'm thinking he just uses the people to make the disguises, and just keeps them on ice so that their duplicates don't run into each other.

At some point, the Lupins are going to see Ganglars disguised as their loved ones. That's for sure going to be an upcoming plot point.

I'm still not a fan of the Lupin Collection working like Dragon Balls, but it is what it is.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Dramatic rain leading to dramatic drama.

Maybe an upcoming plot point will be that the pats wanting to bring Satoru back will cause them to realize that they are in the same boat as the Lupin's? (Of course, they could also wish for all the people killed when 2/3 of the city blew up to come back, but they didn't know them personally.)

Next week will be a cool down match to not burn out the crowd?
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

this isn't the first time I've seen the "Dragon Balls" angle in a sentai, though... first off my head is KR Ghost. trying to think of Sentai series.... Gokaiger, to an extent, had the DB angle too, iirc.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

i really love 3 people sentais. I really wish they would do this more often.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

Sinkuu wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:22 pm this isn't the first time I've seen the "Dragon Balls" angle in a sentai, though... first off my head is KR Ghost. trying to think of Sentai series.... Gokaiger, to an extent, had the DB angle too, iirc.
Unless I'm remembering it wrong, Chousei Kantai Sazer X had a similar angle with the Cosmo Capsules. And like the Dragon Balls, the capsules had a tendency to split up and find new hiding places after a wish was granted.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

The stuff with Noel's backstory is... strange, and I'm not entirely sure I like it. It is nice to know for sure his goal is to bring back Arsene Lupin. Speaking of bringing back people, I have to imagine there is going to be some twist with the wish? I guess it wouldn't be out of place either for Sentai if everyone got their loved ones back, but I am fairly sure I wouldn't be into that!

Side note, and getting ahead of myself, I really liked the Lupinrangers doing that gesture with their guns, but including Noel in it too. It feels significant just from knowing what that gesture meant in previous episodes.

All the stuff with the Patrangers and not-Satoru was great. I especially love the scene of the four Patrangers transforming, the camera angles and music did a great job of making it dramatic and poignant.

And finally Patkaiser returns! Even though Siren Patkaiser can hardly be called a 'new' combination, it feels ridiculously nice that the cops get to use their own Trigger Machine finally. It better stay with them!
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

A nice Pat focused episode as a whole. Obviously this Satoru was a ganglar in disguise and never thought Noel and his race were aliens instead of living Collection. Up till now everyone think he's a normal human. It makes sense if he wants to revive his benefactor Arsene but what bugs me how old is that Dai Kaitou that he actually lived up to Noel's current age, technically from what we seen in the flashback? I guess a half Ninninger reference with End Shuriken?

So Zamigo got the info from Satoru in disguise, wait...! That means Satoru in the ending of Another Patran Nigou was already a Ganglar. But then again, the continuity does not actually fit because the ending reflects that Satoru in Bistrot Jurer was actually the real one. It does not make sense at all. That aside, it would be a deep plot twist if Lupins saw their own loved ones being used as disguises for Ganglars near the ending. Maybe Zamigo didn't just transfer them elsewere, he was also responsible to turn the humans directly into disguises for Ganglars in some sort of medium like a box or something, either that is his own ability or that was his collection power. Then, again, his safe was empty most of the time so from what I can deduce, he is like Destra after episode 5, a Status Double Gold with no Collection when fighting the rangers.
Speaking of which, I know the translation work either way but on 12:36, I personally think it would be better if the translation was 'The leak didn't came from Japan Branch, but from France HQ' because they mentioned Japan first then France.
BreadToku wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:44 pm And finally Patkaiser returns! Even though Siren Patkaiser can hardly be called a 'new' combination, it feels ridiculously nice that the cops get to use their own Trigger Machine finally. It better stay with them!

I know right, I actually feel a bit ease even if its debut turned out only in this episode. On the other hand, it's rather weird that Kei-chan turn Siren Striker upwards when that VS Vehicle was obviously a Trigger Machine. I know they're not remaking the CGI for Siren Striker for Pats deploying their mecha but this just proves that there is too much Lupin influence. Of course in reality when pushing the trigger on Trigger Machine, the trigger on VS Changer was pressed as well. I won't deny that because I watched the toy reviews in youtube. But to be honest, Siren Striker looks much cooler when turned downwards. Same could go with Splash.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Holy crap, they remembered the PatRangers! Even better, they remembered PatKaiser!

Number of episodes since the last PatKaiser fight: 7 0!

Exuberance about our poor, neglected police aside, this was a solid episode. I do have a misgiving about it, but I'll get to that in a moment.

I like how this two-parter didn't even try to convince anyone that Satoru was the real deal. It was obvious from the start that something was amiss, and accordingly the reaction from the Pats is one of confusion rather than dutifully being jerked around and turning on their compatriot, as this trope often goes. It definitely requires that you've seen Another Nigou though, so thankfully the TV-N crew has kept us up to date on that front.:)

What I wasn't expecting was for Satoru to be a Zamigo suit, or for that matter that he's dead! I don't suppose the series will get to it, but it does make me wonder when he was pinched, as it seems like it would need to have happened after Another Nigou. It definitely gives the police an even more personal stake in this now, and as others have noted, something in common with the Lupins.

As for the MOTW, he was unremarkable. On top of getting very little screen time, the power to control the body of another person just feels like a bit of a kludge to make the story work. Without it there's no reason for Noel to shoot at the Pats, and more importantly there would be no reason for the Mexican standoff, which in retrospect appears to have just been for footage trailer bait.

Speaking of footage, we finally see a longer version of the Ganglar cave scene from the OP. Toei's been sitting on that since the very beginning, so I'm actually rather surprised to see it now. Given that it was presumably one of the first things they shot, I'm curious if this was always the plan, or if they originally had something else in mind. And, by extension, whether there's even more to that scene that hasn't been used.

Meanwhile there's the matter of Noel's backstory. It's certainly a sympathetic scenario, and add me to the list of people who wasn't thinking that Noel was an alien. However I also find it to be a rather lame secret. Technically he's not human, but his species looks exactly like humans in every way, including bleeding like them. And given his age, he was born on Earth. So what part of him exactly is meaningfully different from being an actual human? He doesn't need to be a 3 headed monster, but at the same time it's an extremely low-consequence secret if he's just a human with a different name. Being a collection piece would have been a more interesting secret even if we all suspected it, because it would mean that he'd at least be somewhat different from the other rangers. Instead he's just another person who lost someone to the Ganglars.

As an aside, this had damn well better not be Jeeves' only secret as well. If it turns out that he's not some kind of villain after all of this duplicity and foreshadowing, I may very well riot. It would mark a massive waste of potential.

Finally, that brings us to the Lupins. Given the low-stakes nature of Noel's secret, I don't think they could have done much more of value with the Lupins. At the very least, they accept Noel as one of their own now. But it was also something of a by-the-numbers plot? I can't put my finger on it, but something about that plot beat just didn't work very well.
takenoko wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:06 am Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my new theory on Zamigo. So he's in the business of making disguises for Ganglars, right? He also has a tendency to capture them with his ice, which teleports them somewhere, not kill them.

So maybe he takes them and turns them into disguises, but given this is a kid's show, that's kind of morbid. I'm thinking he just uses the people to make the disguises, and just keeps them on ice so that their duplicates don't run into each other.
I agree it's kind of morbid. But personally I'd still like to see them go that route. As they seem to be setting him up as the Big Bad, it's the kind of callous action that would make Zamigo worthy of that title, and of the focus the character has received thus far. Otherwise if he's just a guy that kidnaps people and keeps them neatly stowed away, then that really undermines any threat the character possesses.
At some point, the Lupins are going to see Ganglars disguised as their loved ones. That's for sure going to be an upcoming plot point.
Agreed. And that's very much a plot point I'm eager to see.
BreadToku wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:44 pm The stuff with Noel's backstory is... strange, and I'm not entirely sure I like it.
Ditto. As I mentioned earlier it's not a very interesting secret; it doesn't have much of a stake to it. "Strange" is a very good way of putting it, especially as they've dragged it out so long only for it to be so inconsequential.
Even though Siren Patkaiser can hardly be called a 'new' combination, it feels ridiculously nice that the cops get to use their own Trigger Machine finally. It better stay with them!
I don't trust Toei here. I bet they'll find a reason to give it back to the Lupins. :|
Last edited by ViRGE on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I honestly don't think they have the balls to say Zamigo is straight up killing people. And now that we know the ice just warps people away, I don't really feel like that's going to be the case. I'm guessing this is how it's going to wrap up: They gather all the Collection Pieces, something goes wrong, but it's okay because Zamigo's victims are all still alive anyway. I'm betting Toei will either forget or be too cheap to show Satoru among the victims.

>Speaking of footage, we finally see a longer version of the Ganglar cave scene from the OP.

Cave?

>As an side, this had damn well better not be Jeeves' only secret as well. If it turns out that he's not some kind of villain after all of this duplicity and foreshadowing, I may very well riot. It would mark a massive waste of potential

You know, I never really understood why this was a theory people had. He seemed no more duplicitous or withholding than other Sentai handlers in the past.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:10 am Cave?
Roughly 6 seconds into the OP, they use the footage of the Don and other Ganglars raiding Arsene's hideout. It's a cave.
>As an side, this had damn well better not be Jeeves' only secret as well. If it turns out that he's not some kind of villain after all of this duplicity and foreshadowing, I may very well riot. It would mark a massive waste of potential

You know, I never really understood why this was a theory people had. He seemed no more duplicitous or withholding than other Sentai handlers in the past.
Because in the first half of the series, he was being extra skeevy. Including talking to himself.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I just like to say that all of the people who were doubting me that Kogure wasn't a Ganglar, well I was right in the end. I feel like Noel hiding his alien origins was justified in a way since the only alien race the humans know are the Ganglars and the Lupins and Pats might feel that they were being twisted around Noel's finger. Also it would be hard to believe that Noel has been alive for hundreds of years since it seems like Noel's race are long-lived.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So its a big nothing? The could have done something interesting and Kogure and Noel are just humans from a different world? Boring.

Nice to see Siren Pat Kaiser at least.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

erikhol wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 am Don't know if it matters, or if there should be a second version, but there was a type at 13:46 "itheir" instead of their.
I can confirm this on the HD version.

Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”