Lupin VS Pat 45 Released!

Training up a future generation of criminals
Forum rules
LupinRanger VS PatRanger Wiki Link

< KyuuRanger | LupinRanger VS PatRanger | Ryusoulger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:28 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
54%
☆☆☆☆
31%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
8%
No votes

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Lupin VS Pat 45 Released!

Post by takenoko »

< Prev
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.42 / 5 (12 votes)

Alt Title: Joyeux Noel

Despite being named Noel, besides a one-off joke, he doesn't feature particularly heavily in this episode. Although the joke of him going to France a few times was pretty good.

Which is sort of what this episode is? It's a break between the heavy drama for some light hearted holiday stuff, and it stars Sakuya and it's all pretty good. The only downside is that the serious characters Kei and Tsukasa are busy doing actual investigative work in the background, so they're absence is felt.

That said, I have mixed feelings about Kei being the one to discover the Phantom Thieves' identities. That really should have been a Tsukasa win, as the smartest one in the group. However, as the secondary antagonist, it makes sense for Kei to discover it, since he'll stir up the most drama from it.

The raw's a little different this week. Our audio got borked from our usual raw, so we captured a stream from the Toei Fan Club stream instead.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Lupin VS Pat 45 Released!

Post by Lunagel »

I gotta say, this is my favorite kind of sentai episode. There's lots going on, a slightly farce-y story, and the character interactions really make the episode great. Just all around lots of fun with whoops, a bit of very important plot thrown in. Oh, and they dusted off that Christmas tree and those costumes that have been used since at least Magiranger.

I love Kairi just chewing on that piece of salmon while Sakuya's busting his ass fighting the Ganglar.

Gotta mention, the writer for this episode also did 26, 27, 31, 32 and 40, aka black market auction, yes man dancing, surrendering ganglar, challenge to a duel and endless worrying. All really good balances of humor and plot and this man is probably my favorite sentai writer as of now.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

To make everyone’s Christmas a positive one, especially after what the Patrangers went through last episode, Sakuya’s requesting Jurer to cook a Christmas banquet for the kids from Episode 14-15. Meanwhile, Keiichirou has pulled up that missing persons case to investigate Zamigo’s weird hobby (Raimon called him a weirdo).

I like the MOTW's premise because I eat salmon once a week.

And Keiichirou got a Wham.

The Collection Piece of the Week is GaoSilver’s G-Brace Phone.

Funny episode. I wanna cook the salmon fried rice one day. The next episode or two should be intense.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Lots of fun holiday episode. It reminded me a lot of the last time Sakuya and Noel featured together, in Episode 22 with that monster turning people into fish. Somehow these two make a rather quirky and charming pair. I laughed when X just casually takes his train to France, and I actually laughed harder the second time.

Actually I found a lot of the episode just really fun and great. So enchanted was I, that I barely raised an eyebrow at the kookiness of the mecha fight. (Fingers still crossed that we'll get to see Keichiro use Siren Striker's Super Mode before the series ends.)

What's also great is that the cops might just be finally onto the thieves. The show is so close to being over that they can't possibly double back on this, right? Right? Obviously the preview for next week implies the Patrangers are mostly going to discuss the matter and probably save the actual confrontation until the episode afterwards, but I'm confident there's going to some juicy drama in store.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

It's the little details that make the show. Touma calling Sayaka "senpai". Sayaka transforming with his mouth full. Kairi totally not caring that Sayaka was fighting a Ganglar because he was eating some good salmon. Umika continuing her Sayaka abuse by casually throwing him around when the cake is revealed. Umika slamming the suitcase shut on Kairi's hand for teasing her. The lupins stealing a collection piece without even transforming. Gauche actually doing something clever so that we don't have to suspend our disbelief on why the Pat/Lups don't bust a cap in her butt while she is monster growing. Kairi with the oh so foreshadowing remark "Kei-chan sure is late." to close the episode.

Thank you writer!

I guess I shouldn't complain that a competent fictional police officer should have made the connection earlier, but then they wouldn't have had 45 episodes so far.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Oh, man! Keiichirou is onto them, I've been waiting for this.

Also, I'll just leave this here
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

If they hadn't done that early episode where Tsukasa figures out the identities and then they get fooled, then I'd enjoy the discovery a little more.
arromdee
Go Go!

Post by arromdee »

Like many anime fans I of course have heard about how KFC became Christmas food in Japan, but I honestly never heard before that people prepare chicken on their own in Japan for Christmas rather than buying it as fast food. (Especially roast rather than fried. All they need is for someone to say "hey, it's supposed to be turkey" since they're almost there already.)
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

arromdee wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:34 pm All they need is for someone to say "hey, it's supposed to be turkey" since they're almost there already.)
Main problem is turkey isn't native to Japan so it's expensive to import. One of those Butterballs will set you back like 60+ dollars and they only sell them at Costco. Subway's got turkey sandwiches but besides that it's impossible to find in regular grocery stores in any form. Maybe if someone set up some turkey farms and made it so turkey was more affordable? But at this point Christmas = chicken thanks to some very savvy marketing from KFC.
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

If Noel can get to France & Back on his train in the time span shown on screen assuming it's "Real Time", how fast is he traveling?
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

It looks like he took two trips in 12 hours. We can assume his first trip was at about 9am. Assuming the kid told Sakuya at the start of the day. Its. 9844km from Japan to France. It normally takes 12 hours to fly. He probably ordered the cake on the way there, like he ordered the chicken. So he literally just stopped to pick up the Cake and the Chicken then left. So lets assume the shopping trip with Kairi and Sakuya took a couple hours before the attack happened then they investigated the salmon incident. We can say one way is 60 minutes. So the V Trains travel at roughly 10,000km an hour. He's causing some serious damage from the sonic booms created from going six times the speed of sound. ALL FOR SOME CAKE AND CHICKEN.

Estimated Timeline

830, start of school. Kid invites the Global Police.
900, Sakuya requests Tooma's help. Noel goes to get cake.
1030, decent shopping trip, last item. Chicken. Samon appears.
1100, They look for chicken, return back to Jurer empty handed. Noel shows up with cake a little after. Then goes for Chicken.
(there has to be enough time for Noel to radio ahead to France HQ, so they can procure a frozen chicken.)
1200, Noel gets the chicken.
200, Noel returns.
230, they start cooking the chicken. (This might be a little earlier. They mention other people could be cooking chicken.)
300, Samon ded
600, Christmas party

Edit: Alternatively, you can just cut the shopping trip by an hour so they cook chicken at 1:30 to make it fit better with lunch time and people possibly cooking chickens. Still fits that Noel goes back and forth within an hour. It's a late lunch. It could also be a shorter time frame... the sonic boom would kill millions on his way if he was doing this at 20,000km/h
Last edited by Kuchiri on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Haha, I knew if I waited long enough, someone would work out the math.

And I just subscribed to this channel, so how fitting:
https://youtu.be/NHZ1YLmo6tc?t=494
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

That episode was far better than it had any right to be. Even in Super Sentai, when you go that wacky it usually backfires. But damn if it doesn't work well here.

I still feel like Sakuya isn't taken seriously enough as a character, so episodes like this don't help his cause. But for an episode like this he's definitely the right character to be instigating such a ridiculous plot.:lol:

And I too love chicken. So I'm right there with you, Sakuya. However you're still doing it all wrong, Japan. Christmas is all about the prime rib.

Oh, and does anyone know if the shop owners were famous actors or the like? I feel like the camera lingered on them just a bit too long to be regular extras, which has me thinking there's some guest casting going on...

PS What's the reason for the hiatus this time? Another sporting event?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 am Oh, and does anyone know if the shop owners were famous actors or the like? I feel like the camera lingered on them just a bit too long to be regular extras, which has me thinking there's some guest casting going on...
No-names, the lot of them
ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 amPS What's the reason for the hiatus this time? Another sporting event?
New Year's, you fool! It's all 3-5 hour specials for the next week.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:33 am
ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 am Oh, and does anyone know if the shop owners were famous actors or the like? I feel like the camera lingered on them just a bit too long to be regular extras, which has me thinking there's some guest casting going on...
No-names, the lot of them
Huh, surprising. Well then, a couple of people certainly made out like bandits in terms of getting their faces on TV. Thanks Luna!
ViRGE wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 amPS What's the reason for the hiatus this time? Another sporting event?
New Year's, you fool! It's all 3-5 hour specials for the next week.
Is it my imagination, or did Sentai not used to get preempted over New Year's? I feel like we've had some (generally fillerish) episodes on New Year's week in some years. Either way, with the holiday taking place mid-week, I'm a bit surprised they'd preempt so much programming on a Sunday.

Return to “Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger VS Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger”