Zi-O Promo released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Zi-O Promo released

Post by ryujin »

I googled Geiz and it's German and it means a lot of things like greed, meanness or stinginess among other things, it's mostly negative from what i see, to me it just reads "gayz" lol!, Japan must really likes their western words/names shenanigans, i think writing "Geiz" that way instead of what it really is which is freaking "Gates" just looks cool to them and nothing more, it's really more misleading than cool looking imo cause most people will read it as "gayz" :P
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Crimzonite wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am So, is there any logical reason why Toei decided to translate "ゲイツ" as "Geiz" and not "Gates" (as in "time gates")?
Gates would be ゲーツ not ゲイツ

Z's are cool
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 pm
Gates would be ゲーツ not ゲイツ
If Bill Gates' Japanese Wikipedia article is anything to go by, his name is "ビル・ゲイツ" in katakana.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

From what I'm seeing, it looks like ゲイツ is mostly used for names but ゲーツ is used for the item
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Kogashi wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 amhe seemed to be fighting the Cat Greeed, Virgo, and a high ranking Fangire which, makes me worry that for the mooks they will be using the suits of iconic enemy generals... and I am not crazy bout that idea.
Certain parts of this promo appear to have been shot exclusively for promo use. For example the short section on Toei backlot shows Zi-O transforming, but that's clearly not going to be the actual henshin sequence. So it's possible the Build Armor fight was equally shot just for this promo, to avoid giving away the real fight/enemies.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Speaking of which, I just went with Geiz since that's what it said on the belt, but does anyone know what it's supposed to mean?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:06 pm Speaking of which, I just went with Geiz since that's what it said on the belt, but does anyone know what it's supposed to mean?
I was wondering that myself. My assumption is that it's another terrible Toei translation.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

It means "stingy" in German? Idk
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

Is the German word "geiz" pronounced the same as "ゲイツ"?
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:00 pm
Kogashi wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:36 amhe seemed to be fighting the Cat Greeed, Virgo, and a high ranking Fangire which, makes me worry that for the mooks they will be using the suits of iconic enemy generals... and I am not crazy bout that idea.
Certain parts of this promo appear to have been shot exclusively for promo use. For example the short section on Toei backlot shows Zi-O transforming, but that's clearly not going to be the actual henshin sequence. So it's possible the Build Armor fight was equally shot just for this promo, to avoid giving away the real fight/enemies.
From what i can tell and what i've heard from different sources the Build armour clip has been taken from the Build Be the one movie, as generally they bring in the enemy generals for the movies and going by the monster suit seen in the trailer too i'm guessing the mooks will have either a universal theme or be connected to each time zone.

As for the Decade speculation
Spoiler
There have been scans of a Decade watch being a 1st quarter powerup item, that might not be the case ofc but this is the reason for the spoiler tag
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Meanness was another meaning.

He is supposed to be mean to Zi-O I guess.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Crimzonite wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am So, is there any logical reason why Toei decided to translate "ゲイツ" as "Geiz" and not "Gates" (as in "time gates")?
Because "Geiz" might be the only way to spell out ゲイツ with only four letters or characters, to fit into the display in the driver.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Cyberman
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Cyberman »

Someone mentioned that GEIZ is 2136 flipped over but Toei said he came from the year 2068. :/
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

2139?
Iccirrion
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
Favorite Band: 和楽器バンド
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: Um, God, your seatbelt.
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Iccirrion »

A few people have mentioned not wanting the enemies to just be reused suits, but if you look between 3:25-3:29, tell me that's not a kaijin Build, monster riders are something I'm interested in. I'm not the type to make assumptions before I've actually seen the show, but aesthetically, if we're going to see monster riders, I'm all for it.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”