KR Zi-O 01 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆☆
34%
☆☆☆
17%
☆☆
6%
14%

Total votes: 35
arromdee
Go Go!

Re: KR Zi-O 01 released

Post by arromdee »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:17 am
And speaking of kings, does Demon King mean something different in Japan than it does in the rest of the world? Because if I were going to become a benevolent king, I would not be calling myself the demon king. That is pretty much exactly what you'd call an evil, tyrannical leader.
Legends of Localization actually did an article about this: https://legendsoflocalization.com/trick ... u-daimaou/

Summary: It's usually something bad but not 100% of the time. Ma- can mean "magic" or "supernatural" as well as "demon".
stardrago
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by stardrago »

Well, shouldn't it be Ziku-Driver, since most of the Neo Heisei Riders belts are mostly named after the main rider, with the exception of the Sengoku Driver from Gaim, since in series it was named after its creator, Ryouma Sengoku. So the "Zi" part for Ziku, Zikan from Zi-O. Also, from the trailer you had it at first as TimeMaziin, but after seeing the onscreen appearance of its name you corrected it to Time Mazine. As well as in the CM you had part of the weapon name as 'Girade' which was there correct grammar, but in the actual episode it was 'Gilade' though.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

arromdee wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:15 am
ViRGE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:17 am
And speaking of kings, does Demon King mean something different in Japan than it does in the rest of the world? Because if I were going to become a benevolent king, I would not be calling myself the demon king. That is pretty much exactly what you'd call an evil, tyrannical leader.
Legends of Localization actually did an article about this: https://legendsoflocalization.com/trick ... u-daimaou/

Summary: It's usually something bad but not 100% of the time. Ma- can mean "magic" or "supernatural" as well as "demon".
Oh, I forgot to answer this. The term for demon king (ma-oh 魔王) is common in Japanese and Asian cultures and just literally means "king of the devils". It looks like the term is common in Asian fables, since it appears as far back as Journey to the West/Monkey King. In fact, just googling it gives you a lot of results for Chinese websites.

In RPG context, I see the term often translated to "dark lord". In Journey to the West, there's a couple examples of Maoh's ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_J ... characters ) There's the Demon King of Confusion, and the more famous Bull Demon King.

And of course there's the term dai-ma-oh 大魔王 or Great Demon King.

I actually once lamented to someone that there's no Western equivalent. In terms of Zi-Oh, I wanted to originally go with Dark Lord, since I thought it'd be a more familiar term for Westerners, but since Sougo is always going on and on about kings, demon king seemed more fitting?
==========
On a side note, did everyone read the trivia I wrote on the wiki for Oma Zi-Oh's meaning? It's a pun on the Japanese word for witching time (逢魔時) ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witching_ ... ernatural) ). So Zi-Oh means "king of time" while Oma Zi-Oh would mean "king of witching time".

At first, luna and I thought Oma was 大魔 which would mean Great Demon Zi-Oh, but as you see above, we already have a term for demon king.

You can tell that the witching time kanji is right because that's the same kanji on Woz's almanac.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Cool. I love little tidbits like this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, it kind of struck me as weird, since Great Demon Zi-Oh would still be them calling him great. It didn't make sense for the rebels to be calling him that. So them corrupting his "king of time" title to "king of witching time" followed through a lot better for me.

Let's hope as much thought is put into the other world building stuff.
YuushaEX
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Shinobi
Favorite Actor?: guy who plays dan kuroto
Favorite Band: The Primals
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Final Fantasy
Quote: See you next game
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by YuushaEX »

First thoughts on Zi-O. They really could've called this season something better Jikan or even just Time itself would've been a better name don't really understand the conclusion they came to Zi-O. The characters are alright nothing too exciting about them. The driver seems a bit clunky to me seriously that thing looks heavy as a belt they could've come up with something a bit lighter. I do like the monsters in it though like kaijin representation of the riders. All in all I am looking forward to wear this season takes us but I think decade might have been a better celebration.
Transform your life into the best it can be!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

stardrago wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:17 am Well, shouldn't it be Ziku-Driver, since most of the Neo Heisei Riders belts are mostly named after the main rider, with the exception of the Sengoku Driver from Gaim, since in series it was named after its creator, Ryouma Sengoku. So the "Zi" part for Ziku, Zikan from Zi-O. Also, from the trailer you had it at first as TimeMaziin, but after seeing the onscreen appearance of its name you corrected it to Time Mazine. As well as in the CM you had part of the weapon name as 'Girade' which was there correct grammar, but in the actual episode it was 'Gilade' though.
No, really dude, do you even watch the episodes for fun or do you do it just to bitch? I don't think I've ever seen you comment on the content of the episode itself, just whine about transliterations.

Also:

Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:49 am
Go-On Macaroni wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:04 pm<snip>
1) WebP doesn't work on most browsers
2) WTF?
Ah, apologies. I thought I tossed it though imgur prior to uploading but I guess something borked.

Haha. Yeah, the pic there was cropped from some official image Toei put out during HappinessCharge - I guess to promote the PreCards, Hime and Megumi both got them - and despite everything else on both pics being spelled right, "Cook" somehow became.. that.
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

Continuity and Placement
  • Kamen Rider Zi-O: After the fusion of worlds in the finale of Kamen Rider Build.
  • Kamen Rider Build: Judging from the date November 30th, 2017 and the blue jacket of Ryuga, the Build portion in the episode take place between its own series' episodes 12 and 15.
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

I'm cautiously optimistic after the first episode. Although I'm getting the feeling that we're going to have the final boss be a rider again.

I do wonder what direction they're going to take the story since it's extremely odd for someone to inherit the power of the past riders and turn out evil, especially with how much they push the themes of hope and justice.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

A pretty good start to the series, I thought. I appreciated them starting as in-media-res as they feasibly could, since a lot of these first episodes wind up with a fairly slow rising tension of "just what the hell is even going on?" which isn't always explained thoroughly at first. Just jumping straight to "this evil-looking dude is you, so let's not let this happen" is pretty refreshing. That's the stakes of the series laid out very clearly by people who know for certain what the failure state is.

Contrasting with Decade, since it's the logical comparison, we started with a vision of Decade taking down his preceding nine Riders and a shady Dad gravely accusing Decade of being evil with no specifics. This one's more concrete in that the people accusing Zi-O of turning out evil have seen it firsthand and know it will happen, but don't seem to have any pertinent info as to why or how. (They're also assuming Sougo is Oma Zi-O, which I have a feeling is not the case.)

Something I think is going to be fun to watch play out is what happens with the monster Riders. Like, in this episode we see that someone who was supposed to die does not, and in his original rampage he also took out two other people; all three of them are now just missing in 2018. So history is changed, just a little bit. I think the basketball player survived being defeated, but now he's a year forward. What's going to happen to him, since he's now out of his own time and still alive? How will this play out with the people used to make alternative versions of other Riders from further in the past? He was chosen because he was supposed to die anyway, but then he knocked some others out of place who probably kept on living their lives otherwise. The further back we go for other Riders, the more damage they can do, and I think that's going to be interesting to see them play with.

Looking forward to seeing what the mysterious jerks are up to, as well. Making monsters, providing Sougo with the Zi-O equipment, and using a history book from their time as prophecy? For whatever reason, they're trying to ensure the future plays out as before; they may even be doing it from the point of view that they're saving the lives of everyone they know, since 50 years of changes may very well prevent any of these future people from being born. There's a lot of interesting things going on, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

(Over Quartzer is a fun song, and the statues crumbling in the opening must mean something; Toei seems to try to revisit cool visuals from Rider openings and contextualize them within the series proper lately.)
dannydice64
7X

Post by dannydice64 »

5/5

KAMEN RIDE... ZI-O!!!

BTW, is there a Super Hero Time intro?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Whoa Dancer is still alive? What's up!

I really don't like Over Quartzer personally. I don't think it's catchy at all, and the lyrics don't make any sense. I guess Quartzer is their made up word for time travel?
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:45 am Whoa Dancer is still alive? What's up!
Yeah! I moved to a different part of the country for work last fall, and been working a lot since. Learning a new language, going on training courses, stuff like that.
musique
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider/PGSM
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Favorite Band: Within Temptation
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Lolita Clothing

Post by musique »

ViRGE wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 am I feel like we need a music major here to actually break down what we're hearing. At least for me, I'm way out of my element
Reporting for duty! It is Arabic music, specifically Egyptian. I definitely hear a qanun the most. A qanum would be similar to a Japanese koto, as both are box zither instruments. It sounds like they have a mix of instruments along with the qanum, including a cello and violin. They used a flute as well, probably a ney, as it is really the only Middle Eastern flute and it is commonly still used today. The flute can be heard by itself at different points, like 5:54. Before that, when Woz is talking to Sougo, a Sistrum can be heard. A sistrum is basically a rattle, but they are played by flicking the wrist forward repeatedly instead of shaking the instrument. A Sistrum is a instrument of great religious and magical significance, so it makes sense to hear it when Woz is reading from the book. The scale that the music score is in, is one that used in classic Egyptian music as well, though you will hear it throughout many Middle Eastern, European, and Asian cultures. During the ending battle scene, you can even hear chanting/singing that was used to hold a beat during religious ceremonies in Ancient Egypt. Hope this helps!

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”