KR Zi-O 10 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:49 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
7%
☆☆☆☆
47%
☆☆☆
27%
☆☆
13%
7%

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 10 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 3.53 / 5 (15 votes)

Alt Title: King versus King

Seemed like a pretty good episode. We had Hina's monstrous strength. Eiji had his moment to shine, but it's not an action scene, which is kind of cool and fitting for his character? Dan Kuroto is still the high point of the episode.

How does the Driver know when OOO is used for Time Mazine and when it's for Zi-O himself?

Uhr standing on the ceiling is weird. Do all Timejackers have that power? The bad effects didn't help.

Where'd your clothes go, Sougo?!

What's the deal with Eiji and Hina still being in the King Dan Kuroto timeline at the end, after Dan's defeat? Seems like a continuity error?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

10.5 released

Post by takenoko »

Don't believe their lies!

Geiz thinks Mouri is writing this arc because he wrote "a lot of OOO", but in actuality, he only wrote 6 of the 48 scripts.

I like the way Tsukuyomi uses Sougo's catchphrase against him at the end. Although "I've got a feeling" is such a generic phrase that it might not be an intentional invocation of his catchphrase.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Zi-O 10 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

I see Sougo has set some standards in his pursuit on becoming a Demon King after Eiji taught him the heartwarming meaning of helping others. Patricide is a no-no, just ruling over people after wearing the crown isn't the way to go, the people can decide if he truly can be a king after helping them.

That Happy Birthday was not ham, Woz. Cute that Dr. Maki's doll resurfaced.

Of course, Tetsuya Iwanaga is still the best Memelord for Kamen Rider. Shu-san and Riho-chan were cool.

I hope to see the CGI bill for this one.

OK episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

You know the series is bad if when doing an OOOs episode, the meme king from Ex-Aid is more enjoyable than the OOOs characters and the main characters.

Eiji not transforming wasn't that big of a deal. I feel like its more in character for him just to help people without being a Kamen Rider. They would have messed it up trying to get him to fight as well. I forgot about Hina having super strength as well. I remember thinking they were going to explain that by her having one of Gamels cores.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

That doll is the real Maoh :P
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Against all odds this show is finding its footing. Even though Soujo is a black hole of charisma, I think that the show can be good if they concentrate on the rest of he cast. In this episode Soujo having the IQ of a carrot actually advanced the plot. If Soujo had just said "Hey Geiz, sorry for the beat down, I had to make the other king dude trust me." then Geiz wouldn't have run off to do a pout-a-thon. And, if I read the ending correctly, maybe Geiz and Team Rocket will be teaming up?

I did like that the time machine of Oha (Jessie) has Kiva's Castle form. And, Uhr (James) walking on the ceiling was cool. One thing they haven't shown yet is Woz's mecha. After all, he cannot jump time periods by himself, can he? If the (hypothetical) Geiz team up with Team Rocket causes Jessie and James to turn baby face, then you have enough mecha for a Megazord, so they could also collect Ranger Watches.

I was rolling on the floor on the omake. It's too bad they can't hire child actors to play chibi versions of the main characters.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

The only nice little callback they did for OOOs was Maki-doll lurking in the bookshelf :lol: :lol: :lol: Hina-chan having this absurd strength for no reason and nobody ever asked her why is nice. I get the writers trying to use Eiji as a catalyst of sorts for Sougo to realise being king means reaching out to more people to help them, but I don't know if it's Sougo's actor's wooden acting, or, like someone above pointing out, Sougo's IQ of a carrot, I didn't find that "revelation" convincing. The scene would've worked if Sougo's "learning curve" was better handled. I just can't buy the "following a bad demon king to learn how to be a good demon king" schtick. If you so much as lack the basic moral compass of good/evil, then Sougo might as well be equivalent to that of a baby. Despite his childlike face, I just can't buy into his "ïnnocence" at the age of 18. Or maybe I'm just being too hard on the writing of this show lol.

As for Geiz, this episode just adds on to him doing things just because. First, being defeated by Zi-O easily despite consistently showing he's the superior rider in terms of power and experience in year 2018. Then "wounded" by weak Yummies because...? (with no apparent injuries!). Went from being super pissed at Zi-O for handing him his ass to helping him to saying goodbye and walking off because...? His thoughts and feelings were poorly conveyed, leading to his character being a lacklustre one.

At this point I'm just nitpicking, but remember previous episode Geiz shows up injured and Tsukuyomi frantically asked Sougo's uncle for First Aid Kit, only to proceed to heal Geiz with modern tech. This just goes to show that the writers write stuffs in this show JUST BECAUSE.

Every week it becomes harder and harder for me to stick with this show.

A 2/5 for me.
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The med kit cliffhanger last week got me in a bit of trouble. Last week, Tsukuyomi asked for something that translates to a "med kit", but I didn't think anything of it, so I just wrote "first-aid kit". But in this week, the uncle goes "Here's our "med kit", which we call a first-aid kit". Whoops!
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Don't believe Morihiro can write .5 episode like that. Since he mention about "characterization changed" depend on writer, look like slap the writer himself, since Nobuhiro can't keep the consistent of characterization from main writer.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

This was a good arc in my opinion. We got MOAR Dan Kuroto which is always a win IMO, Hina's OP strength and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!". I'm looking forward to when they do Kabuto, Den-O, W and Decade, although I have a strange feeling that they'll save Decade for a movie or something along those lines since Zi-O and Decade have similar powers.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I liked this overall more than the previous episode just a little, mostly because of some really strong little things all combining. A lot of the things Eiji and Hina said and did was mostly generic, but it traced back to OOO's story that it brought a smile to my face every time. Also it looks like the Heisei Generations Final movie has retroactively made 'reaching out to others' his catchphrase, because I don't remember him saying that all that often in his original show.

Apparently if Bugsters were not a thing, Kuroto would still every bit as insane as before! Imagine if he got to interact with Doctor Maki.

I actually liked the big CGI Robot Fight, and the mech using OOO's powers was actually really cool. I know these kind of gimmicks don't ever last long, but I still look forward to seeing that robot punch a big, humanoid Tridoron or Revolgarry. (That's a joke, this could actually be the robot's last appearance for all I know.)

The OOO Ride Armour is also my favourite of the armours so far. The words on the chest, the whole tiger as shoulders, and the overall look and colours is just super nice. Hope it sees a lot of use, compared to the Ex-Aid armour which has only appeared once...

The little tease for the next tribute looks exciting and a lot of nostalgic fun, and I have been treating these episodes as mostly just fun, brainless nostalgia rides so that's good for me. That said, I'm actually about ready for the series to be done with the past Riders stuff soon and do more with it's original story, because I'm genuinely intrigued by everything involving Geiz, Woz and the Time Jackers.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Also it looks like the Heisei Generations Final movie has retroactively made 'reaching out to others' his catchphrase, because I don't remember him saying that all that often in his original show.

It's from his backstory, where he tries to reach out to a little girl, but she got exploded instead. Also Ankh is a hand. So his thing has always been to reach out his hand to people. It's sort of weird to me how many people forgot about that aspect of Eiji since I think someone in QC forgot it too.

By contrast, I find most Rider movies utterly forgettable XD
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's definitely in the main series. Whatever episode it was where the Greeed tried to steal his desire really hammered you over the head with it.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

There's also the ending song for the OOO's movie ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDnYD_-0RIA

edit: It just occurred to me that the perfect Super Sentai show for Soujo to invade would be the Jyuougers. All of the Jyuougers are kings (or monarchs)!

edit 2: Another gimmick they could do is have Princess Ahim de Famille show up to steal a Rider Watch feeling that she could use it to retroactively wipe out the Zangyack Empire before they had a chance to destroy her homeland (which would also nullify the Gokaigers).
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

What does it mean for the state of the show when the best parts of this episode weren't the main character or the plot, but the returning characters from past series?

There's just enough fan service to carry this episode, which is a damn good thing for the show since apparently the main cast cannot. We got to see Hina's freaky strength in an amusing situation (after lambasting them last week for not including it), Eiji was on point in terms of characterization, and Dan hammed it up as only Dan can.

Conversely, Sougo might actually be retarded. There we no secret plan here as far as dealing with Another OOO goes or even why he felt it necessary to fight with Geiz in the last episode. Turnip-for-brains seriously thought shadowing a psychopath who wants to be king was a good idea, and then didn't realize the folly of the idea after 5 seconds. Dan as a character is too far out there for any of this to be subtle, so the only way this even remotely works is if Sougo was the kid eating paste in kindergarten.

And I have no idea where the show is going with Geiz.

Poor plots aside, the action was definitely on point this episode. The CGI robot fight was a bit silly, but by KR standards it's actually one of the better CGI fights. And then the actual suited fight choreography was great, with just a touch of wire-fu for added effect. This wasn't a season-finale level fight, but it was definitely a couple of steps above the norm for KR.

Oh, and why was SHT on break last week, anyhow? Was it golf again?

(And I still feel like the .5 episodes are taking the piss out of the fans.)
takenoko wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 pm What's the deal with Eiji and Hina still being in the King Dan Kuroto timeline at the end, after Dan's defeat? Seems like a continuity error?
Congratulations, you found a plot hole! This show has many of them. :P

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”