KR Zi-O 18 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:51 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
15%
☆☆☆☆
77%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 13
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 18 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 4.29 / 5 (14 votes)

Alt Title: Go over time and space

Hmmm, how do I feel about this episode. I think I like the ideas and the potential that went into this episode more than I actually enjoyed watching it.

There's a lot of set up, but it sort of feels like Zi-O and Geiz do jack all in this episode.

That said, Shinobi Woz is pretty badass looking.

The directing is pretty bad in this episode to start. Sougo coming up with the name "Black Woz" and then taking like a minute to decide on calling the other one White Woz. If you didn't have that in mind to begin with, why are you calling him Black Woz?! And Heure not recognizing the usual Woz, despite the fact that the two Wozs never change clothing is weird too.

The time travel is especially bad here. Could you at least try to lay some rules down so that we, the audience, can pretend you're not making up as you go?

I appreciate that they let us know in advance that there'll only be three of these McGuffins to collect. I wouldn't mind them doing one of these, then going back to grabbing nostalgia watches. But I'm guessing this is a block of filler so that Toei can set up more cameos in the future. Which is fine, it seems like good filler content. Just make sure Sougo and Geiz and Tsukuyomi and Woz grow as characters.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: KR Zi-O 18 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

So to create the Savior, Another Woz must create certain MiRide Watches and have them combined with Geiz? Good that Myo-kun doesn’t trust his “servant”. It’s a sure sign that he can screw destiny.

Heure having 2nd thoughts about his leader resorting to stealing future riders’ powers?? You knew the risks of being a member of a chaotic evil organization, boy. Ask help from Tsukasa, if you can still contact him.

Heartwarming that Sougo has encouraged Rentaro to seek out his future on his own terms rather than Schwartz’s. Very good.

Oma Woz is Steve Woz and Another Woz is Gary Woz. I hope to Zod Steve Wozniak doesn't find out his nickname is used in a children's Power Rangers show.

Good episode. Kinda surprised that the Shinobi spinoff got announced, though Megumi Han (Kyuemon from Ninninger) got giddy about it.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Pretty good episode, at least they are trying to inject ideas.

Will next episode feature Kamen Rider Filler-Episode? (Since in show quiz shows are usually associated with filler episodes.)

Tsukuyomi should have told White Woz that she would take the new watch and decide which Demon King would be more worthy of having it.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

You know, given that people like New Den-O and Aqua were a thing, and yet apparently in Geiz and Tsukuyomi's timeline there were no Riders after 2019, we can assume that time has already gone through some massive alterations, and that their timeline is far from the first one.

And with that, I just put more thought into this show's plot than Toei probably has.

(Also, you appear to have forgotten to sub the opening)
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Welp. Time to do the v2.

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Truthfully I can't quite put my thumb on exactly why, but I really liked this episode. It set up a lot of interesting things, and it finally makes Woz matter. He's still a secondary character, but his relationship with Sougo is now more than being this annoying barker when the latter gets a new upgrade.

I rather like Schwartz's plan here. Creating a paradox like that is one of the smarter things they've done in this series. And similarly, I like how Zi-O broke the paradox: not by defeating Another Shinobi in combat, but by changing his future through kindness and inspiration. It's practically an overused KR trope, but it seems a very fitting thing for Sougo to do.

The lack of Tsukuyomi and Geiz here was a little odd. However I think this episode benefited from getting rid of them for a while so that it could focus on Sougo, Schwartz, and the Wozes. Otherwise it would be a pretty packed how in terms of characters.

Perhaps the strangest thing is that even though this was the least Geiz we've gotten in some time, I think I liked him the most in this episode? His gruff personality fits really well with turning his back on Another Woz, both figuratively and literally. Maybe this is where Geiz finally turns a corner?

On the whole - and maybe this is just me - the show feels a lot different than it was 10 episodes ago. We're not just on a new arc, but Kamen Rider Turnip is half-way to having a personality, Kamen Rider Lastname isn't entirely insufferable, Woz has something meaningful to do, and the show isn't getting bogged down in cameos riddled with plot holes. I thought this was because of the writers, but it turns out Shimoyama Kento is back starting with this arc. So there's more to it than just writers.

The whole Oma Day thing feels like a total hindquarters pull, which isn't great, but I feel like it lends evidence to the idea that the show was pushed towards a soft retooling behind the scenes. Certainly the show needed it. And while we're used to the show tightening up a bit after the first quarter and the toy rush is done, it feels like the show has undergone a much harder correction than what we normally see here. it gives me some hope that this show may turn out alright in the end after all.

On a final note, the BGM situation is interesting. The show hasn't dropped its Indian-styled tracks, but it's also introduced some very different and distinct techno tracks with KR Woz's arrival. I have to say I'm digging them; the track playing when Shinbi decides to believe in his future self is a real ear worm. (It also helps that they let it play without a bunch of dialog on top of it)
TypicalStandUser wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm Oma Woz is Steve Woz and Another Woz is Gary Woz.
I don't get it. Who is Gary Woz?
Kinda surprised that the Shinobi spinoff got announced, though Megumi Han (Kyuemon from Ninninger) got giddy about it.
What what what?! Details, please!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

> Kamen Rider Lastname isn't entirely insufferable

ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Smartass. :lol:

Well as far as we know, Woz only has one name. Whereas Geiz has a complete name, Myoukouin Geiz. So if I had said "Kamen Rider Firstname" then yes, it would be technically ambiguous. But Kamen Rider Lastname can only refer to Geiz.:P
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Actually Geiz is his first name (personal) while Myoukouin is his last name (family) soooo he's Kamen Rider Firstname
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

ViRGE wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:56 pm
TypicalStandUser wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm Oma Woz is Steve Woz and Another Woz is Gary Woz.
I don't get it. Who is Gary Woz?
Wozniak's full name is Stephen Gary Wozniak.
Kinda surprised that the Shinobi spinoff got announced, though Megumi Han (Kyuemon from Ninninger) got giddy about it.
TokuNet reported it: Zi-O Spinoff PART1 "RIDER TIME SHINOBI".
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:35 am Actually Geiz is his first name (personal) while Myoukouin is his last name (family) soooo he's Kamen Rider Firstname
Oh. Well poo. There goes a perfectly decent joke. :oops:

Japanese name order continues to confuse the heck out of me.
TokuNet reported it: Zi-O Spinoff PART1 "RIDER TIME SHINOBI".
Oh neat. Thanks for the heads up!
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Futuring Shinobi is definitely nice looking, though it's a fairly minimal change in appearance compared to how different the Armour Times change Zi-O and Geiz's appearances. Not that I think that's necessarily a problem, since it further helps differentiate the riders and their powers.

Since the main focus of characterisation of these arcs look like it'll be about Sougo and Geiz, I worry that we're not going to see much of, if not any, of White Woz's personality and motivations beyond just wanting to help Geiz beat Zi-O. I think it's a given that our original Woz will have development and revelations, so I'm hoping for at least some surprises from White Woz too down the line.
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Yeah, the writing is better than normal, but the only reason to watch this show is the cameos. With the show having to stand on it's own two legs now, it's probably the 2nd worst Neo-Heisei so far.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I feel like I'm enjoying these episodes more now that they actually focus on the series own plot as opposed to fucking around with previous Rider series.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

I guess I can rejoice that the series is following it's own plot instead of having the episodes be half baked tribute episodes. Shinobi Woz does look cool despite being minimalistic compared to the past rider armor. Either I need to get my eyes checked or Sougo doesn't know his colors since the woz that follows him is called black yet he wears olive from the looks of it and the rider woz as white woz, though I can buy this one. So the latter's goal seems to be on creating the ridewatches that shouldn't exist so his savior Geiz can defeat Gold Rolex King on the day sougo becomes oma zi-o. It seems a bit interesting. Shame we won't be seeing more of Shinobi. It should keep me interested, probably not by much but enough to keep me interested
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”