KR Zi-O 39 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆☆
60%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zi-O 39 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's Zi-O rating: 3.98 / 5 (16 votes)

Alt Title: Man, Zi-O and Den-O. Surely there'll be time travel hijinks in this episode

A side of Yabe Kenzou I never expected to see

Rejoice, Zeronos and Deneb are here! Two of my favorite characters from Rider history. Can we comment on how much better Yuuto is than Kyousuke?

Pretty fun episode. I think someone predicted that Sougo will completely forget about Ora killing his lady friend and they were right. Imagin got to do their thing.

Uhh... so is this episode in continuity with the Heisei Generations movie or what? I know different writers worked on both, but at least try to make it seem like the worldbuilding matters?

Why does Sougo have the ultimate power already. Doesn't he still need Drive?

Random question, what is the blue stuff in the bowls at the beginning?
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Re: KR Zi-O 39 released

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 pm Random question, what is the blue stuff in the bowls at the beginning?
It looks like the blue ramen that made a restaurant famous on Instagram.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

The Liner crews from Den-O, minus the usual suspects return to the show. Wakana Matsumoto should've returned.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 pmA side of Yabe Kenzou I never expected to see
Give us Season 4 & a movie, Toei!!
Uhh... so is this episode in continuity with the Heisei Generations movie or what? I know different writers worked on both, but at least try to make it seem like the worldbuilding matters?
These writers need to get their heads in the game. Maybe provide something like Schwartz backing up the Another Den-O Watch with a copy? Or Tid wanting to top Schwartz because of what he did to Sougo??

It was inevitable that other actual Riders would want to kill Sougo because of his desire to become a demon king.

Junichirou is awesome. The Taros are alright.

Ok episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Does Toei own Trick/Yabe Kenzou?

I know right? I don't think there was a single reference to Heisei Generations FOREVER despite the fact that there's an ANother Den-O in the movie too.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Rejoice! Chapter six of The Melancholy of Sougo Tokiwa is here, and Sougo actually reacts to the transfer of Sailor-san, for a couple of minutes. Also, the SOS brigade is challenged by the president of the Emo club. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13233129/6 ... ugo-Tokiwa

I am down with the current episode. The imagins were their usual wild and crazy selves, Momogeiz was hilarious, DJ uncle was funny, the rouge imagin shenanigans worked, and Zeronos and Deneb were great. I wonder if the twist to this season is that the main rider is the bad guy? If Sougo is the baby face then he is the worst Kamen Rider baby face that I can remember (although I am sure you guys will bring up a lot of other Riders who were not heroes). A heel turn by Sougo could save the show. They could say that Schwartz hacked into Sougo-chan and implanted evil Sougo when he was 10. Then Geiz, Tsukuyomi, Heure, and Oha have to combine their Time Mazines into a megazord to defeat Oma-Zio and rescue Sougo's soul. After Sougo is rescued he has no more ambition of being the Demon King.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 pm Why does Sougo have the ultimate power already. Doesn't he still need Drive?
That's irking me as well. Mind you, it's not as if following their own rules is a strong point for this series. But when everyone is going on about two watches, then I expect it to take two damn watches. (In practice, this is probably a lazy effort to get around scheduling problems. Grand Zi-O needed to come out now, but they'll still do a Drive arc later)
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

damn this arc is totally messed up... they made it like the movie is non-canon and yet they forgot that kuuga and w watch are from the movie, and looks like they just give up on making drive arc as well
Ridebeat
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Video Game
Quote: The law of victory has been set
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Ridebeat »

Sougo already have the Drive Ridewatch. Before you said it, I know the Drive Ridewatch he had right now was the one that belongs to Oma Zi-O but technically he still "get" the watch, so the ultimate power should be activated when all the Heisei Ridewatch been collected
Ridebeat
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Video Game
Quote: The law of victory has been set
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Ridebeat »

Cross wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 am damn this arc is totally messed up... they made it like the movie is non-canon and yet they forgot that kuuga and w watch are from the movie, and looks like they just give up on making drive arc as well

The "Stupid" Producer Shirakura Shi.... or whatever you call him already said in his twitter account that Heisei Generations forever is non-canon stuff in Zi-O Production
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm working under the impression that the movie wasn't factored into this. Last week, Sougo recognises the Den LIner sound, but this week he doesn't know who any of the imagin are. Classic Zi-O writing.

Trinity was used in this episode mostly to remove riders to advance the plot and it frustrates me. Glad they double dipped on actors and got Zeronos back though.
RangerJustify
Quote: Where there is life, there is the roar of justice.

Post by RangerJustify »

Ridebeat wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:49 am
Cross wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 am damn this arc is totally messed up... they made it like the movie is non-canon and yet they forgot that kuuga and w watch are from the movie, and looks like they just give up on making drive arc as well

The "Stupid" Producer Shirakura Shi.... or whatever you call him already said in his twitter account that Heisei Generations forever is non-canon stuff in Zi-O Production
We ignore what that guy says most of the time cause they rarely hold water when common sense applies. The Kuuga and W watches come from the FOREVER movie and that movie even tilts into the events of Build New World. It's canon. Zi-O's writers have just been bass ackwards when it comes to their jobs this year.
RangerJustify
Quote: Where there is life, there is the roar of justice.

Post by RangerJustify »

Also, remember that Gaiz was first seen with Ghost's and Drive's ride watches. The Ghost one was destroyed but they acquired the one from 2018 to re-add it to their arsenal. The future Drive one is still there, though. All Ride watches are ,therefore, present. So it makes sense that the power manifested. However, there will still be a need (somehow) to obtain the 2019 version of the Drive watch.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

The Imagins coming back to make an appearance in the latest rider media isn't really anything new at this point. In fact, it's not even new for Zi-O, but I admit to still having a soft spot for them. I want to say that their screentime on this episode in particular felt more authentic to how they were in the original Den-O series, though maybe that's just because they weren't all just throwing out their catchphrases left and right. Geiz as Momotaros and the latter getting a spot in Trinity will definitely be a moment to remember after this series is over.

The bigger returning star here is arguably Yuuto and Deneb! How nice in hindsight it was that two years after playing the worst character in Hibiki, the actor got a chance to play one of (in my opinion) the best secondary riders ever? I'm also glad they took a moment to point out the joke about said actor having those two roles. That all said though, this cameo was really more about showing us how cool Kamen Rider Zeronos and his powers are, rather than anything much to do with personalities. I think that's mostly fine, though I do hope we'll get them to have more natural and friendly interactions with the cast or the Den-Liner crew.

I have to admit, I'm not sure how into Zeronos' story I am here. On paper, him wanting to stop Zi-O to save the world is a perfect kind of conflict for a time-travelling rider to have against our heroes. ...But we've long, long since watched that conflict pass with Geiz. And Geiz was somebody who suffered at the hands of Oma Zi-O, while Yuuto here was talking about how Zi-O will destroy the world... while watching Zi-O fighting a bad guy and using the power that symbolises how hard he's worked to fight against his destiny. The end result is that instead of wondering how our cast will convince this rider with a beef with them, I'm just waiting for Zeronos to come around and stop making their lives harder for no good reason.

As for how this episode connects to FOREVER... *throws up hands* I wanted to assume this episode was written in mind that somebody need not watch the movie to understand it, but the W and Kuuga watches showing up before kinda ruins that. I'd be lying if I said I cared enough about this show's continuity to be that bothered by it.

When I saw the preview for this episode, I had assumed that thanks to Geiz still having the Drive Ridewatch from the future, that would count at the moment as collecting all the watches, and in a later episode, Sougo would still go on to collect said ridewatch in the present. It made perfect sense in my head, so of course the episode had to undermine that by having repeatedly keep count of how many watches Sougo needed to get, yet not paying even a second or single line to explain why they went ahead and went around that count. Seriously, one line from anybody would have been enough to not make it look like a gaping plothole...

After all of that, and after having sat on my feelings on the episode for a while, I've realised that I'm more bothered by the very first minute than I realised. This is similar to the Gaim arc when they played on expectations and showed the climax of the arc right away, revealing the new form off the bat. Whereas in that arc, it was kind of a fun surprise and was part of a wacky time travel plot, this instance here of showing Grand Zi-O right away... is really bad. I honestly think it does way more damage to the arc than you'd think at first.

I was hesitant to talk about the form itself until the next episode where it will 'properly debut, but they really just spoiled it completely, and I mean spoil as in 'ruin'. Regardless of how you feel about the design (and I know some people would have hated it no matter what because wow is it audacious-looking), the fact is that by showing it and it's abilities so clear and forefront like that, they have removed a lot of the excitement and flash it's appearance will have next time. This isn't just another Ride Armour, this is the main character's ultimate power, and something that looks as ridiculous as it does needed a big entrance. The first time we see it should have had it wreathed in bright lights, with the camera quickly panning over each of those statues of past riders on the suit's body while the viewer is swept up in a rush of awe, confusion and bafflement over what the heck they are looking at, and end with Woz screaming his head off in utter joy along with Sougo proudly declaring how much of a good king he'll be.

I know all of that can still happen next time, but on top of the week-long break due to golf, we would have already 'gotten used' to the form thanks to the first minute of the episode. I strongly suspect the only reason the showed it off early like that was because they saw ahead of the schedules and realised that the toy for the new ridewatch would debut around the same time as the show going on break for a week, so it needed to be shown off in the show itself at this point and no later. But they could have just written it in a way so that it would be like what happened with Mugen or Genius, having that dramatic and 'grand' reveal at the very end of the episode, which would have been much better.

I know I just wrote three paragraphs gripping about the literal first minute of footage and am aware of how ridiculous that is, but I can't help but feel like they have immediately dropped the ball on what could have rather easily been the main character's most triumphant and spectacular moment. ...Mind you, depending on how they do things in the next episode, I could either end up taking back everything I just said here... or realise there was nothing saving the moment from being underwhelming to begin with.
snowking666
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Geat
Dreamy: Izu
Favorite Actor?: Sato Takeru
Favorite Band: official 髭男dism
Quote: "If you have the motivation, I don't think anything in this world is imposibble. First, you have to start moving. If you move, something will start."
Type: INFP Healer

Post by snowking666 »

Based on what i read, the director said that Sougo went to similar experience as FOREVER but not the exact same. Basically, Toei is saying beside the kamen rider is not real storyline, sougo did went through an alternate heisei forever in my opinion.
snowking666
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Geat
Dreamy: Izu
Favorite Actor?: Sato Takeru
Favorite Band: official 髭男dism
Quote: "If you have the motivation, I don't think anything in this world is imposibble. First, you have to start moving. If you move, something will start."
Type: INFP Healer

Post by snowking666 »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:44 pm
Why does Sougo have the ultimate power already. Doesn't he still need Drive?
They have the Drive Ridewatch from Geiz. Granted, the present ridewatch was not created yet but the future ridewatch still count as the same thing. So, When Sougo receive Den-O ridewatch, all 19 ridewatch is present. They just need to create Drive ridewatch later which i think happen in the movie if Drive arc is not happening in the show.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”