KR Zi-O 49 released

It's pronounced Ji Oh. AKA Kamen Rider Double Decade
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zi-O Wiki Link

< Build | Zi-O | Zero-One >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆☆
11%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
28%
17%

Total votes: 36
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Re: KR Zi-O 49 released

Post by Dengar »

He never actually obtained the Drive watch. I mean come on at least receive the damn thing from Chase or something.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Well, if nothing else, the ending makes my fanfic look canon af.
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Deadrider50 »

Image[/s]
Dengar wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm He never actually obtained the Drive watch. I mean come on at least receive the damn thing from Chase or something.
Spoiler
Dude, Sougo Obtained the Drive watch in Over Quartzer Movie. Have you watch movie preview yet ???
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Deadrider50 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:42 pm Image[/s]
Dengar wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm He never actually obtained the Drive watch. I mean come on at least receive the damn thing from Chase or something.
Spoiler
Dude, Sougo Obtained the Drive watch in Over Quartzer Movie. Have you watch movie preview yet ???
Spoiler
Plus they even referenced having met Go when Chase turned up. Zi-O's beyond awful when it comes to writing, but at least they didn't end up THAT bad.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Deadrider50
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ghost
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Shijima Kiriko
Favorite Actor?: Sano Gaku
Favorite Band: DA PUMP
My boom: Download all Tokusatsu and Anime Series
Quote: I'll do it in my way. Don't butt in

Post by Deadrider50 »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:49 pm
Spoiler
Spoiler
Plus they even referenced having met Go when Chase turned up. Zi-O's beyond awful when it comes to writing, but at least they didn't end up THAT bad.
Yeah, you're right about that point in Drive Arc....but still, we can't say that Zi-O series is better. Zi-O's storyline are such rushed things in the entire franchise. I can also say the same thing in Ryuusolger
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

That ending. I just have to ask.....

WHY DIDN'T WE HAVE THESE CHARACTERS FROM THE START???? It's like Toei was all "Hey fans! See these characters? See how full of life they are? Wouldn't a show be interesting with them?? Well, too bad. It's the end of the series! Bye!" They seriously showed more personality in five minutes than they did the entire season.

The plot made no damn sense. Combining Rider Worlds? Zi-O is a TIME BASED SHOW. I said it last episode and I'll say it again. This endgame is what Decade should have gotten, not Zi-O.

That being said. I'll give credit where credit is due. Oma Zi-O is freaking badass. In fact, Oma Zi-O is the one thing they've gotten right all year. He has personality and he's powerful AF. They didn't ruin him by trying to explain him in explicit detail because no matter what, SOMEONE would have been disappointed. He arrived on top and went out on top. Sougo's anguish was believable, even if his supporting cast was boring as hell. Maybe it's because I can relate to not having friends growing up. His anger was beautiful as well.

All in all though...this episode wasn't bad....if the story actually made sense as a whole and the characters weren't so boring. Also, Kamen Rider Tsukoyomi exists only to die. REAL original.

Now for the series as a whole.

Zi-O suffers from a lot of "Writers have no clue what they want." It seems that when it comes to anniversary series, Toei does the bare minimum. Which is annoying because Gokaiger exists. I honestly feel that the tribute episodes hurt the show. They spent too much time on the tributes and not enough time on the Zi-O cast and story. Which is a shame because it has a ton of potential. However even a broken clock is right twice a day. The Blade and Agito tributes were amazing and show what the rest of the series could have been. As it stands, Zi-O isn't terrible. It's just disappointing.

Ten years ago on this very board, I remember having hope for Decade's finale but being overall disappointed. However Double was absolutely amazing. So I'm hoping that we see the same thing with Zero-One.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

The ending may not be the best but Oma Zio asking Woz to "IWAE!" was the best part of the episode.

After 20 years we have saw it all and it was nothing that they could pull out to make this ending different or something above the level of previews series IMO.

I liked it for the fan service and its a good way to pay a respectful tribute say thanks and good bye to the heisei era of kamen riders.

Tsukuyomi and Ora con schools uniforms are just lovely and the ending was "ok" in my opinion.

I'm just glad that I was able to watch all these shows thanks to you guys!.
Final Vent!
NightdyneMesa
Quote: Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be.

Post by NightdyneMesa »

I kinda felt like we needed at least 1 more episode for that and it felt too rushed. But I guess that's a wrap for the series. For an anniversary series, this one felt like Kamen Rider Decade Season 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h95rr6pcUJA) :lol: I'm kind of guessing the issues with the writing is due to the availability of some of the returning casts, some talent agencies in Japan probably still look down on Kamen Rider despite the popularity surge of superhero movies/series, if Toei didn't have this issues maybe the writing would have been better.

Until the end, they were like pulling plot twists from out of nowhere, but who cares? The show was a trainwreck in a fun way for me. A few years from now, maybe we'll all fondly look back at Zi-O. I remember people were shitting so much on Decade way back then as well, and then now their views on it have changed. I guess some of us can be suckers for nostalgia. Maybe it's just me but I thought the cast was actually likeable, the suit designs (at least for the main ones) were at least good for me, except for Trinity which I don't like much. Most of the problems I see stemmed from inconsistent writing and lack of backstory for the characters, especially the Time Jackers. I wonder if the show was more than 30 minutes long, would they have achieved better story-telling? Oma Zi-O was consistent to say the least til the very end who's fucking badass, I now regret not pre-ordering his S.H. Figuarts. :(

As for closing remarks, Thank you TV-Nihon for subbing this.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

That reminds me of that scene in Tokusatsu GAGAGA where one of the co-workers is guessing that actors don't put their tokusatsu history on their list of achievements because it's kind of a black mark on their career.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Spoiler
Spoiler
How am I supposed to know these things? Referencing Go I just thought was Zi-O being weird again as usual. Like maybe Geiz watched Drive when he was a kid or something. I don't know I wouldn't put it past them.

They did the same bull with the other movie and the W watch. Like it's dumb. Really dumb. Den-O was never this stupid about crossing its main plot into its movies.

There was the Ryuki watch too.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The Drive one is the most egregious example, because it's a huge plot point that it is one of the stolen ones and means Grand can't fight Oma on equal footing.

Which is something that never happens so I guess it doesn't matter?
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Things I liked:

Diend getting in on the action again
Uncle fixing the watches
Oma Zi-O's debut
Sougo finding an option that does not involve destroying the world or becoming the demon

Things I did not like:

another timeline reset (though it kinda fixes the wrecking of other seasons they did over the course of the show)
little explanation about how all the other characters are now Sougo's schoolmates
that the fixed watches were not more pivotal

Overall, a meh finale for a meh season. The best parts were Decade. But I liked the original Decade, though that was probably in part due to not having any stake in the previous riders yet.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Dengar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:35 am
Spoiler
How am I supposed to know these things? Referencing Go I just thought was Zi-O being weird again as usual. Like maybe Geiz watched Drive when he was a kid or something. I don't know I wouldn't put it past them.

They did the same bull with the other movie and the W watch. Like it's dumb. Really dumb. Den-O was never this stupid about crossing its main plot into its movies.
You're supposed to know it because of the months of marketing of Go being in the summer movie. Also the fact that you're expected to have gone to see the movie in cinemas. Same with the Double and Kuuga Watches in Heisei Generations Forever. It's not Toei's fault you've chosen to ignore all marketing. The expectation is that people will go and see the movies when they're out. Don't expect them to cater to you just because you're unable to do so.

Also, Den-O was the first series to massively feature it's movie in the main series. They had several episodes leading up to it with scenes that served no purpose other than to set the movie up. I'm also not sure why you're specifically bringing up Den-O, but LOADS of series, both in Rider and Sentai, have done things like this. Did you start whining when Kyoryuger flashed back to its movie? Did you do so when Kougane turned up in the Gaim finale?

Zi-O has done a lot of things wrong, but right here the blame lies squarely with your inability to pay attention.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Yeah its easy to nitpick the past couple episodes. But all things considered I think this arc was one of the strongest Zi-O arcs that couldn't heavily rely on nostalgia, so I think this was a good final episode by this series's standards.

Still unsure of what I think about the series as a whole, but it was at least worth it for the Agito arc.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

takenoko wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:29 am That reminds me of that scene in Tokusatsu GAGAGA where one of the co-workers is guessing that actors don't put their tokusatsu history on their list of achievements because it's kind of a black mark on their career.
To ask, are there other actors like Odagiri or Hosokawa who don't want to associate themselves with the franchise?
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zi-O”