Ryusoulger 01 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 pm

★★★★★
29%
★★★★
13%
★★★
42%
★★
4%
13%

Total votes: 24
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Ryusoulger 01 released

Post by takenoko »

resop2 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:17 am Random question that is probably super subjective: As a general rule does a Super Sentai that is friendly to older audiences sell fewer toys?
The two examples that I can think of, TimeRanger and Go-Busters, yes? Kids have no taste!
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Don't forget Gekiranger, although with that one I can more easily see why the merchandise didn't sell. I mean, the changers just looked like regular gloves, the first additional ranger's mecha was just a leg, and what parent was going to let their child buy straight-up nunchaku and batons.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

so.... i have a question!
What are they protecting us from exactly? Like i know thew Druidons ... ok, and the minosaurs? and ok this is where i need my answer, are the Druidons on control of the minsaurs...? or do our would be somewhat displaced from the rest of the world heroes has 2 foes?

Super would have prefered the mentors as the heroes over the ACTUAL team. my only issue is blue haired Melto. And to ask another question are we to believe that these knights have lived secluded within the hidden city, and now must go out into our modern worlds hence WHY we need the Ui girl and his father(?) to house them?

FINAL question: when was the last time we had heroes who werent part of our society? sure Gokaiger were 5/6 aliens, but they were still functional within our world.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>What are they protecting us from exactly? Like i know thew Druidons ... ok, and the minosaurs? and ok this is where i need my answer, are the Druidons on control of the minsaurs...? or do our would be somewhat displaced from the rest of the world heroes has 2 foes?

They're Minusaurs, since they come from the "minus" energy of humans or something. Nothing to do with minotaurs

>FINAL question: when was the last time we had heroes who werent part of our society? sure Gokaiger were 5/6 aliens, but they were still functional within our world.

Jyuohgers were from another world count?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:45 am >What are they protecting us from exactly? Like i know thew Druidons ... ok, and the minosaurs? and ok this is where i need my answer, are the Druidons on control of the minsaurs...? or do our would be somewhat displaced from the rest of the world heroes has 2 foes?

They're Minusaurs, since they come from the "minus" energy of humans or something. Nothing to do with minotaurs
Actually I ended up using Minosaur cause https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ryusoul/character/
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>人間のマイナスな感情から生まれるモンスター

"A monster born from humans and minus energy."

Am I missing something?
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:53 pm >人間のマイナスな感情から生まれるモンスター

"A monster born from humans and minus energy."

Am I missing something?
From spoiler on magazine last month
Spoiler
They are created by Kureon from ordinary humans by absorbing their negative emotions and are based on mythical creatures.
Last edited by kangchan on Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I mean it's still from minus + dinosaur, it's just minus + dinosaur as opposed to minus + dinosaur
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:22 pm I mean it's still from minus + dinosaur, it's just minus + dinosaur as opposed to minus + dinosaur
I still feel like people will look at it and go "oh it's from minotaur". What would the point of it being from the word minus if you're not going to represent it in a way people would recognize?

マイナス
MAINASU/Minus

ダイナソー
DAINASOU/Dinosaur

マイナソー
MAINA-SOU
(MAINA/Minu) + (SOU/saur)
Minusaur
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Well that was an interesting start to things. I'm still trying to digest this first episode, but there was definitely a mix of good and bad.

As everyone else has noted, it's definitely rushed. Which is unfortunate because it does the series no favors beyond perhaps blasting the viewer with everything they need to know/buy right away. This, of course, isn't unusual for a Sentai. But other series have managed to avoid it.

On the flip side however, it's interesting how straight this episode was played. Maybe it's just me, but it didn't feel especially Sentai-like, and I mean that in a good way. It definitely leaned on a number of the usual Sentai tropes. But it didn't feel like yet another episode of Super Sentai. We'll see how long that feeling lasts, though.

As far as the villains go, I'm less sure what to make of them. The castle guy is so very clearly not the series' big-bad. So who is? And I cannot take the mushroom seriously at all. That's just a hideous design; it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see in a Sentai parody.

On the other hand, I loved the Minosaur design. Sentai monsters have a certain human-like look to them for obvious reasons, and instead this one was a straight-up classic kaiju. It looked absolutely fantastic! I can't imagine we're going to keep getting these kinds of designs, which is a shame. But it left a good first impression, particularly with that mecha fight.

Speaking of which, that mecha fight was the other awesome bit of this first episode. Just as we speculated based on the trailers, this year's primary robo is a very light design. And that means the fight choreography doesn't need to be big, slow swings. But instead we can get some fast, nimble action the likes of which we haven't really seen since Go-Busters. This fight in particular had some very interesting wire-fu folded into it, and I honestly cannot recall the last time that's been in a mecha fight; for obvious reasons, CGI is normally used here.

The first mecha fight of the show is always the flashiest, and I know they'll have to tone things down for the rest of the series. But if they can keep up even a fraction of that energy, we're in for a treat! :D

On the other hand, the fact that Red started out with a fully combined robo is a bit lame. An awesome fight for sure, but it did come at the cost of the story.

Finally, I really, really hope they're not going to be playing the same quasi-European bagpipe/flute music all season long as the BGM. I am already tired of it after one episode, and I just might go crazy if they keep it up. It is incredibly annoying.
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:33 pm
Lunagel wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:22 pm I mean it's still from minus + dinosaur, it's just minus + dinosaur as opposed to minus + dinosaur
I still feel like people will look at it and go "oh it's from minotaur". What would the point of it being from the word minus if you're not going to represent it in a way people would recognize?

マイナス
MAINASU/Minus

ダイナソー
DAINASOU/Dinosaur

マイナソー
MAINA-SOU
(MAINA/Minu) + (SOU/saur)
Minusaur
FWIW, Minotaur didn't even cross my mind when watching this. When I saw "minosaur" and heard it pronounced mine-o-saur (rather than min-o-saur), it was clear to me that it was supposed to be minus + dinosaur. But I'm also genre savvy, so I don't necessarily expect that everyone read it in the same way.
Dragg
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Gym!

Post by Dragg »

I like how the guy who plays Red can actually act, and not turning out to be annoying.

And the initial mech is pretty cool, it's not the usual big and clunky ones that we tend to get. I hope the choreography for the mecha fights are like this for the rest of the series.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Well, I'm not going to judge this first episode on story, since there basically was none. So I'm have to go by presentation... Which was also no more than "okay".

Lupat had me hooked from day 1. I'll give them a few more episodes to get my attention but I might just go back to my habit of not watching Sentai before long.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:55 pm FWIW, Minotaur didn't even cross my mind when watching this. When I saw "minosaur" and heard it pronounced mine-o-saur (rather than min-o-saur), it was clear to me that it was supposed to be minus + dinosaur. But I'm also genre savvy, so I don't necessarily expect that everyone read it in the same way.
That's good and all, but other people, myself included, definitely thought it was minotaur when we saw minosaur.

I mean, just from a reasonable person perspective, if you were going to go "let's combine Minus and Dinosaur". No one would go "let's take the min and the osaur and combine those". You don't need to be a linguist to see that's a ridiculous way of splitting those words up.

Everyone would go "let's add saur to minus".
Hanarka
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Hanarka »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 am
takenoko wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:48 am

I like that. It's closer to "boom" which is its pun. What do you think Luna?

Que bon is "It's good" versus que bom "it's nice". Hmm, that might be a stretch though
I dunno, I think I'd want a French or Portuguese speaker weighing in, I don't trust google translate
I'm French and "Que bon" makes no sense in French. "It's good" translates as "C'est bon". I think the Portuguese option "que bom" is better here.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:25 am I mean, just from a reasonable person perspective, if you were going to go "let's combine Minus and Dinosaur". No one would go "let's take the min and the osaur and combine those". You don't need to be a linguist to see that's a ridiculous way of splitting those words up.

Everyone would go "let's add saur to minus".
You're not wrong. But then minusaur doesn't rhyme with dinosaur. And Toei is not about to let the English language get in the way of bad rhymes. :P

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”