Ryusoulger 01 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:43 pm

★★★★★
29%
★★★★
13%
★★★
42%
★★
4%
13%

Total votes: 24
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ryusoulger 01 released

Post by Lunagel »

Hanarka wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:19 am
Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 am

I dunno, I think I'd want a French or Portuguese speaker weighing in, I don't trust google translate
I'm French and "Que bon" makes no sense in French. "It's good" translates as "C'est bon". I think the Portuguese option "que bom" is better here.
Thanks for that, I'll be changing it to bom in future episodes
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

ViRGE wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:09 am
takenoko wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:25 am I mean, just from a reasonable person perspective, if you were going to go "let's combine Minus and Dinosaur". No one would go "let's take the min and the osaur and combine those". You don't need to be a linguist to see that's a ridiculous way of splitting those words up.

Everyone would go "let's add saur to minus".
You're not wrong. But then minusaur doesn't rhyme with dinosaur. And Toei is not about to let the English language get in the way of bad rhymes. :P
Sure it does, they both end in saur!
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Ehh, the action choreography is good but the rest just feels rushed and slap dash. Only thing we know about any of the team members is that Pink is super strong (again), Blue is good with a sword (again) and Red is super driven in a pinch (again). I honestly would have preferred something more along the lines of the mentors doing most of the fighting, make their defeat more dynamic and the passing of the power more vital to the actual episode. The insta-glam wannabe girl is already looking to be super annoying, I get that a lot of Japanese comedy can be ham-handed but they don't need to push it that far for kids to get comedy material out of it.

They really could have gone with anything else other than the knock off LEGO/Megablox connector design they used, it literally looks like a giant toy and even going back to classic Toku practical effects didn't save it from how much faker that makes it look.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I enjoyed the mini Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon reunion we got here. They all got substantial screen time with close-up shots before they all sacrificed themselves. So much stuff happened in this episode though so it was hard to take everything in. I thought that roll call to end the episode was random as hell too. And I was wondering where are the Green and Black Rangers. They are operating on their own. Cool premise. I am intrigued....
Mxylv
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Well, this certainly felt like a mixed bag. First of all, I felt the concept was really on point. The swords-and-sworcery approach felt fresh, having a mentor team and a rookie team worked really well (though it looks like we aren't going to get more of that :|), the world has its own lore that it isn't afraid to mess with or shake up (even if it does so rather early) and a lot of the episode is willing to take itself more seriously than I'd have expected. With that said, several elements of the episode seem not to add up. Does the Red knight being able to pilot the mech on his own mean the other rangers won't do anything when the mech is assembled in future episodes? What does the temple exploding mean for the village-sized group of people shown near the episode's beginning? Furthermore, a ton of the exposition and worldbuilding we're given becoming irrelevant by the end of the episode doesn't feel like a good sign.

All and all, this looks like it could've been absolutely amazing as a 3- to 5-part series opening. The world is great, but the worldbuilding feels forced. The team have great character motivations (their stakes being both professional/"save Earth" and personal/emotional), but I'm not sure how to define their characters beyond maybe the Red knight. It feels like Toei want Ryuusoulger to feel like a living, atmospheric legend, but maybe all they need to do for now is to slow down a bit and let its characters process events more.

Despite the episode's flaws, however, I'd say I liked the episode. I'm hoping future episodes will keep the shadow of the masters' deaths around, but the show certainly has potential. I'm thinking of sticking around a bit longer than usual (embarrassingly enough, I've stopped after one and a half episodes for two separate Sentai series before); the premise's atmosphere seems to have worked, even if it rushed things early on. Looking forward to where things are going from here!
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, HwTM, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

Okay, I see so many people complaining about this show when it's just started, so let me tell you something. when Gaim first started, I wasn't so sure about it because... well, the armor is based on fruits and nuts. and Orange Samurai, a Banana Knight, a Grape Monk, a Melon... whatever Zangetsu is. but I ended up really liking it.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I get your point but depending on who you ask, Gaim either ended strong or fell on its face during the last quarter and it still seems pretty divisive. I wouldn't really use it as a good boundary to mark how everyone's going to react to a toku show.
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:05 pm I get your point but depending on who you ask, Gaim either ended strong or fell on its face during the last quarter and it still seems pretty divisive. I wouldn't really use it as a good boundary to mark how everyone's going to react to a toku show.
well what I mean is it's just the first episode. you can't cook a good steak in two minutes. or in Gaim's case, grow a tree in a day. at first it was just a bunch of people dancing and guys fighting for dance spots, and a bald homo saying that the kids should stop having fun. then the tree grew bigger and bigger. by the way, what's that anime your icon is from?
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Hanarka wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:19 am
Lunagel wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:04 am

I dunno, I think I'd want a French or Portuguese speaker weighing in, I don't trust google translate
I'm French and "Que bon" makes no sense in French. "It's good" translates as "C'est bon". I think the Portuguese option "que bom" is better here.
Wouldn't "qu'est bon" work? It's pronounced the same, at any rate.

e: wait, I think I goofed that. It's uncomfortably close to "what is" when I was going for "that is"
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

hamn8rjr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:17 pmby the way, what's that anime your icon is from?
It's Luka Urushibara from Steins;Gate.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

But he's a guy.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

"The sun dips low in a rosy sky… cicadas buzz… but Luka is a guy.”
hamn8rjr
Infinity

Post by hamn8rjr »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:50 pm
hamn8rjr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:17 pmby the way, what's that anime your icon is from?
It's Luka Urushibara from Steins;Gate.
okay, cool.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”