Ryusoulger 16 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:07 pm

★★★★★
50%
★★★★
10%
★★★
20%
★★
20%
No votes

Total votes: 10
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 16 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.57 / 5 (7 votes)

Alt Title: Poor RyusoulAquaman, so wet.

Oh, Crayon is a slime? I see, I see!

This episode sponsored by KFC. Wasn't there another Sentai episode recently that was fried chicken focused?

/me looks at the episode number. Oh okay, 16 episodes in let's explain Melto's blue hair. Or maybe not???

Oh, good of you to join us, green and black. Is this seriously how the team balance is going to work now

Couldn't get into this one. Just not enough interesting things happen. I don't find the gags funny and the characters and their stories are kind of boring.

Like the conflict is about Mosa Rex, right? We can't find his side of the argument relatable. Maybe if we saw some of that conflict that was mentioned (y'know, show not tell) we'd at least get where he's coming from, but as it is, it's just the big water dinosaur from Jurassic World is being stubborn until he needs to save the day.
VTMarik
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kyoryuuger
Dreamy: Right
Favorite Actor?: Mitsuomi Takahashi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Any society that has gone so far out of it's head that it requires instructions for use on a packet of toothpicks is no longer a society in which I can live and stay sane." - Douglas Adams

Re: Ryusoulger 16 released

Post by VTMarik »

"Um, why does he keep saying he thinks I'm 'yummy'? Is he hitting on me?"
AkaRed is my Co-Pilot!
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

this just confirms that Galcherius (or whatever the hell his name was) was just a pawn. Tank was a rook, wiseru is a bishop. no way in hell was that putz king or queen level.

waiting to see who comes in at knight.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Aren't the Ryusoulgers the knights?
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

Honestly speaking, I don't even know what is going on with Ryusoulger story, starting from episode one till now. Not only the villains aren't organised, having no spaceship of their own (because if they go outer space, surely they need a spaceship or something to gather together in one place while moving. Not to mention it is already millions/billions of years before they return to present time) or a special facility underground in the mountains or a floating castle in the sky but RATHER a place where thugs and gangsters hangout like abandoned buildings and such. I can see some logic about sending Creon and Tankjou first for reconnaissance and if possible eliminate their main threats before the main forces arrived and conquered the world in one go. But, just how many enemy generals in their rank before the leader, 10 of them and why all of them started as nomad during the early episodes?

Like Takenoko from his previous post in the Ryusoulger forum episodes, I don't like Koh either, especially when all episodes focused on him doing something worth spotting while the rest are there to complete the combination of Three and Five Knights. Its a bit of shame that Dime Volcano combination does not even involved all 5 of them. I think Kyoryuger is better than this, even if Gabutyra only can combine with two arms from Blue and Pink, Black and Green can be in the cockpit to give them more power.

But as of now, I am questioning about Ryusoulgers' way of doing things, is this a one-man show like Kamen Rider or a five to six people team show? Apart from the filler episodes of Asuna and Melto (which I have no problem with because we are learning in dept about their personally), the other episodes just somehow feel not Sentai like but rather Kamen Rider sort of style.

Because as of now, Koh is acting rather immature for a leader. I mean, if you are not knowledgable or wise to make decisions which can affect everyone, you should consult your teammates for opinion before making a decision. I think Magirangers did discuss this kind of thing from the early episodes when Makito and Kai are arguing about who is the leader. Takeru from Shinkenger is a mature and full-fledge leader who knows how to guide his teammates and I think he still ask for opinion when dealing with some cases involving Gedoushuu that he is not good at or such.

I have no problems with a leader being immature by personality but I cannot accept that he/she often acted rashly without asking opinions from others, which not only does make the situation even worse but burden others to clean up your mistakes. Mistakes is normal for anyone to commit but keep doing the same mistakes over and over means you learn nothing and everyone had to clean up your mess again. That's annoying. As of now, I don't see any development of that sort.

Anyway, I had yet to watch this week episode so I will comment again later after watching.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Sinkuu wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:19 pm this just confirms that Galcherius (or whatever the hell his name was) was just a pawn. Tank was a rook, wiseru is a bishop. no way in hell was that putz king or queen level.

waiting to see who comes in at knight.
There are 2 rook, 2 bishop, 2 knight, 1 queen, 1 king in chessboard. So I think Tankjoh is rook 1 and Gachireus is rook 2.

The Pawn is foot soldier.

But Gachireus is disappoint, weak and not much spotlight.
Last edited by kangchan on Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Gachileus' name comes from gachinko がちんこ (to compete in earnest) plus Achilleus (Greek warrior Achilles alternative spelling). So maybe the "weak point" was his Achilles' heel? Maybe I'm expecting too much from this writer?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

This is probably my favourite episode in the show so far. After episode 14 being such a underwhelming debut for the new ranger, these last two episodes have really brought me around to liking him and his story.

I really liked that he decided early on in the episode, both due to his sister and his own experience, that he would give the other Ryusoulgers his trust regardless of what Mosa Rex has been telling him his whole life, and I liked the argument he has where he puts his foot down even if he respects his mentor/father-figure/fish-buddy so much.

It's also nice that Mosa Rex with his century-long grudge, hasn't immediately decided the land tribe are good guys. Yeah it'll probably still happen too fast later, but I at least like that by the end of this episode, he's only offering a chance for his student's wishes.

Back in episode 14, I disliked how the Ryusoulgers got reduced to looking like wimps for the sake of Gold looking good, but in this case they actually weren't doing too bad until the fight moved to the water and their opponent turned into a submarine (gotta love sentai). From there, it made sense that the aquatic mecha would save the day.

Said mecha is awesome by the way, and that underwater fight with Neptune rocked. The mix of lighting and fake bubbles completely sold me that they were at sea level. The only other time I remember seeing something like this were old episodes of Ultraman, though this was a lot flashier, in a good way. Add in an energetic insert song and you've got a winner of a mecha debut.

Only weird thing is that I'm sure we all expected this general to last longer, not that I think it's impossible for him to come back later, but I guess he served fine as just a big physical threat.
hiro9796 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm Because as of now, Koh is acting rather immature for a leader. I mean, if you are not knowledgable or wise to make decisions which can affect everyone, you should consult your teammates for opinion before making a decision. I think Magirangers did discuss this kind of thing from the early episodes when Makito and Kai are arguing about who is the leader. Takeru from Shinkenger is a mature and full-fledge leader who knows how to guide his teammates and I think he still ask for opinion when dealing with some cases involving Gedoushuu that he is not good at or such.

I have no problems with a leader being immature by personality but I cannot accept that he/she often acted rashly without asking opinions from others, which not only does make the situation even worse but burden others to clean up your mistakes. Mistakes is normal for anyone to commit but keep doing the same mistakes over and over means you learn nothing and everyone had to clean up your mess again. That's annoying. As of now, I don't see any development of that sort. 
Koh has never been framed as the leader of the group at all. Yeah, he's the Red so he gets the spotlight the most of course, but the other Ryusoulgers do not defer to him in any way, nor does he ever 'command' them. They are, in-universe anyway, all equals.

And while I don't think he's much of an interesting character, I don't think he's ever made more 'mistakes' than anyone else, nor has his headstrong attitude have him going out against his team's wishes other than the one instance where his rage against Tankjoh got the better of him (for ten minutes anyway).
Last edited by BreadToku on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

Oto wanting to get into Melto's pants deserves like a 2 or 3 star deduction, tbh.

But I'll still give this one a 5 since it was a pretty great introduction to Mosa Rex and Kishiryu Neptune. The underwater mecha battle was awesome. And it was a good character ep for Canalo.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I just watched that scene. Uhhh, if Melto were human and she said "I'm 123 years old" maybe that'd make sense. But they're all Ryusoul Tribe, and she's clearly prepubescent. Sooo... your world building excuse doesn't hold up, you're just a creepy writer.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Yeah, if your species is naturally long-lived then you're gonna need longer to reach maturity. Let's assume the Ryusoul tribe ages 1 year for every 10 Earth years, based on Koh being 209 (actor is 22) and Oto being 123 (actress is 12). Even if in years they're far older than any normal human, that doesn't mean they're not still immature.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

3 episodes in, and I still can't conjure up enough interest to give a damn about Gold. I don't know what it is at this point, but his presence and character arc just aren't holding my attention in any way. I don't know if it's Sentai or me.

But that's okay, because where this episode was soft on plot, it absolutely killed it on the action side of matters, in true Sakamoto style. The ground battle was fantastic, from the mid-fighting henshin right up to the fight choreography between Red and Gachileus. And then they took things up another notch with the mecha fight. I don't know if it's going to be my favorite, but in terms of technical execution, that may very well be one of the show's most intensive fights. They hit all the buttons, from the physical squib packs to the water jets; they even got some Five Knights wire-fu in there. Coupled with a great insert song for Neptune, and it's easily one of the best robo introductions in Sentai history.

How long has it been since an underwater robo fight, anyhow? I flat-out can't recall the last one, and I especially don't remember JyuOh doing one.

Sidenote: With a civilization as ancient as the RyuSole Tribe, a small part of me is disappointed they went with Neptune instead of Poseidon. Poseidon is cooler.:P

Sidenote 2: One other thing that caught my attention was the music at the close of the episode. Has Sentai ever closed on an acoustic guitar before? It feels very different; very western

Caption: "When I said I wanted a cool, forked weapon, I didn't mean I wanted a fork as a weapon!"
kangchan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:30 pm There are 2 rook, 2 bishop, 2 knight, 1 queen, 1 king in chessboard. So I think Tankjoh is rook 1 and Gachireus is rook 2.

The Pawn is foot soldier.
This is going to sound stupid, but until now I've never put two and two together. The mooks were clearly pawns from day 1. But I never stopped to think think about the generals. Someone obviously wanted to do a play on the knight theme of the heroes, and it's actually kind of clever. It doesn't excuse all the other stupid stuff the Druidons do, but in terms of design that theming is rather smart.
takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:32 am Oh, I just watched that scene. Uhhh, if Melto were human and she said "I'm 123 years old" maybe that'd make sense. But they're all Ryusoul Tribe, and she's clearly prepubescent. Sooo... your world building excuse doesn't hold up, you're just a creepy writer.
Yeah, that ending got weird fast. It was creepy as all hell when Ninninger did it with their blue, and it's not any better here. The worst part is that since she's going to be a recurring character, it'll probably become a bad running gag.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

God I hope they don't waste Oto on that, but I'm looking at Ui and she's not doing any better either.

In case I forgot to mention it earlier, I totally think they're going to do a Knight Boat and reuse that underwater set as much as they can.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:46 am God I hope they don't waste Oto on that, but I'm looking at Ui and she's not doing any better either.
None of the women are doing well at this point. Not that Sentai has ever given a damn, but there seems to be a distinct lack of effort this year.
In case I forgot to mention it earlier, I totally think they're going to do a Knight Boat and reuse that underwater set as much as they can.
You're likely right. Though almost all of the "magic" in that set was lighting, post-effects (bubbles & color grading), and wire-fu. In terms of physical assets, I'm not sure it's all that more complicated than the forest/mountain set?
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

I liked that episode a few weeks back where Ui's classmate (kouhai?) was the birther and she took care of him when he was passed out. And when he did wake up, she was a good senpai and almost flirting with him. Basically in a way showing that she's not some total spaz or too socially awkward like she was being portrayed as before her suicide attempt.

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”