Ryusoulger 26 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:27 pm

★★★★★
8%
★★★★
58%
★★★
8%
★★
25%
No votes

Total votes: 12
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 26 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 3.09 / 5 (11 votes)

Alt Title: When the writing fights itself

So I ended up really coming off positive off this episode. It's a bit all over the place, but it really reaches for those jokes, and it makes an attempt to make Koh a likable/interesting character. I think Asuna comes off as really endearing when she talks with Koh.

Still think Koh kind of sucks as a character. It's a classic situation where they tell you the situation instead of showing it to you. The writing says Koh has rage issues, but in the show he's portrayed as the blandest nice guy. The show says he's lost his kindness, he's literally no different in his portrayal beyond the fight scene.

What do you mean Asuna was brought to the village? Is there another Ryusoul Village? How did a guy in the Ryusoul Village pick up an Osakan accent? How does Koh, who's been with his master since he was a child, like 300 years ago, not know that his master had another pupil? This world building man... I dunno. I keep complaining that the characters and world building are lacking, but something about this backstory is particularly unsatisfying...

Wait, what was with that thing Wiseru did with his eyes? Did he always have that functionality in his costume or did they just add it for this one joke???

Oh right, Gaisorg is in this series.

They found some kids that look freakishly similar to the adult versions of the Ryusoulgers. It kind of freaks me out.

Huh, the monster of the week escaped, but it didn't feel like they were going to continue this story next week? Are we going to find out who that lady was that Canalo met?

Despite all my complaints, I dug the little character moments that the team had with each other. Appreciate the effort, just felt like it tried to do too many things.
BreadToku
Gabu

Re: Ryusoulger 26 released

Post by BreadToku »

I think this is the first actual Koh-focused episode since the episode that introduced Dimevolcano? Either way, it's actually rather nice that our red ranger hasn't been hogging all the story even this late in the show, but at the same time we've gotten so little on him that this whole thing about him having rage issues in the past really feels a lot to take in all at once. That aside, I think it was all done decently.

Also, instead of having the monster hit Koh with a 'you are mean now' beam, wouldn't his little moment of wavering resolve make way more sense if he actually just lost his temper like his backstory showed? Anyhow, I don't expect that monster to be particularly relevant next episode other than being the one they fight. Maybe they just didn't have a new monster suit prepared for next time.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I totally forgot that Gaisorg was a thing. Again.

I don't buy this sudden revelation that Koh used to be a loner and violent. It doesn't come across at all.
Eternal_Winterbane
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Busters
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Eternal_Winterbane »

I think the biggest issue with this story to be the fact our hero's are immortal or atleast long lasting, is that it's hard to show such character development like we got with Koh. But saying that I appreciated this weeks episode, it felt more sentai to me and we got some knowledge of the characters.

My only problem with this episode was more proof that things are being cut, with Wizeru suddenly showing up during the fight, also Takenoko Wizeru has always had that ability with his helmet, it's how he hypnotized the children in his first episode
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Eternal_Winterbane wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:24 am My only problem with this episode was more proof that things are being cut, with Wizeru suddenly showing up during the fight, also Takenoko Wizeru has always had that ability with his helmet, it's how he hypnotized the children in his first episode
Ah, okay. Haha, that's cool that they thought to use it in a joke then.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

Does it count as cheating if I know the answer because I bought that shirt?

So for the past couple of episodes, it really feels like there are some transitional or exposition scenes missing. Like, we go from one beat to another with characters popping in and out haphazardly. I think other posters have mentioned it in the past episode threads as well, but the mech battles have been sorely lacking, and just gone altogether this time around.

But overall I don't mind this episode. The child flashback scenes were surprisingly convincing. I'm not sold on this new character yet. There really hasn't been much plot, so hopefully he'll cause some story progression to happen. Otherwise, I have the same question as Bamba, why are you here???
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

windfall wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:43 pm Does it count as cheating if I know the answer because I bought that shirt?
You could get the same shirt for like 20 bucks at Target!
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

Lunagel wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:49 pm
windfall wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:43 pm Does it count as cheating if I know the answer because I bought that shirt?
You could get the same shirt for like 20 bucks at Target!
While other people probably wouldn't know the difference, I would know and that would drive me crazy. After unsuccessfully hunting for Yamato's clothes for about a year now, I've decided that I'll just bite the bullet on the premium bandai stuff so that I don't end up with incomplete costumes.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Eh, fair. Hats off to you man, p-bandai cosplay stuff is wayyyy overpriced
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Whose shirt is it?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:09 pm Whose shirt is it?
Just to be sure, this is a Ryuusoulger, right? Otherwise if I have to figure it out from over 200 Sentai heroes, I'm in trouble. :shock:
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

If you click the image it takes you to the p-bandai page, but it's Canalo's
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 am If you click the image it takes you to the p-bandai page, but it's Canalo's
Aww. I was trying to figure it out without cheating.:(
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Alright. Seriously, what the sam hell is going on with the mecha fights? It's Super Sentai, and Super Sentai is primarily known for two things: multi-colored spandex, and giant robots beating the stuffing out of giant monsters. This is the fifth episode in a row without a proper mecha fight - hell, it went entirely sans-mecha - meaning we've gone over a month without one at this point. Normally Sentai doesn't go more than a handful of episodes a year without at least a quickie fight.

I know it seems like a trite issue to lead off with, but at this point I am flummoxed at the whole matter. Sentai exists to sell mecha toys; if there are no mecha being shown, then what is even the purpose of all of this? If it wasn't for next week's preview, then I'd be convinced something was very wrong at Toei. But I suppose we're just going to have to wait and see what happens.

Otherwise, this episode was a mixed bag. I really liked what they were trying to do with Koh, and they were clearly aiming for some good character moments. They didn't quite land them however, since as other people have noted, the long-term setup for Angry Koh just hasn't been there. Still, I appreciate the effort, and it's a neat enough idea.

The show still needs to do some general world-building though. As nice as the character backgrounds are, I still don't know what it is the show is building to; what is the win condition for the heroes?
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 pm They found some kids that look freakishly similar to the adult versions of the Ryusoulgers. It kind of freaks me out.
I'm legitimately impressed. Normally they just find kids that vaguely look similar, but these really did look like younger versions of the core 3. :shock:
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:23 am The show still needs to do some general world-building though. As nice as the character backgrounds are, I still don't know what it is the show is building to; what is the win condition for the heroes?
I guess get rid of Creon? Cause he's the one who's got the nasty Minusaur goop and without him the other commanders don't seem like they can actually make Minusaurs. Although judging from the first episode and the weird one with Master Pink, Minusaurs can be born from people spontaneously without the goo? The whole purpose of the Ryusoul tribe is to protect the world from Minusaurs, the Druidons they didn't think would come back ever.

Two things that have been bothering me for a while:

1) If Set is just the dad's weird Yami Yugi thing, then what was that whole scene teasing him at the end of like episode 2 with black and green? So they met him before but didn't mention it? Why? It's seriously so confusing.

2) Is the Elder just never coming back? Like he's gonna fuck off and do kebabs for the rest of the show?

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”