Ryusoulger 32 released

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 am

★★★★★
7%
★★★★
50%
★★★
29%
★★
7%
7%

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ryusoulger 32 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Previous episode rating: 2.75 / 5 (12 votes)

Alt Title: This is Halloween

More soybean milk. Feels like we've been seeing those a lot this year. Maybe they sponsor the show?

Huh... feels like them deciding to kill Nada flies counter to everything that happened in the previous episode.

Why can't Nada take the power of Dosshin soul? You used it to punch a microbe out of Asuna, clearly you can adjust where the impact lands.

Why is Gaisorg's hatred possessing Koh? It was Towa who was beating on Gaisorg up to this point...

Oh man, the Minusaur is both Halloween themed and has a pumpkin umbrella? Pretty good

Ugh, the fight in the cloud is pretty good, despite it being a Koh mecha sequence. Why doesn't he have to wear the sky armor though? God, seeing all the Ryusoulgers just standing around cheer leading for Koh fills me with hatred. Clearly I've learned nothing from this episode. Let's end this episode focusing on Koh's gormless face instead of the group. What a perfect embodiment of this Sentai.

Gave the episode a 4. Sadly, this is probably as good as this series will get, but because of all the meta stuff and stuff I bring into the episode, I can't fully enjoy it because I resent it too much.

What I enjoyed were the little moments like Oto making Melto feel bad. Or Towa trying to kill Nada or Melto trying to figure out a way to save Nada. Or Bamba goading Nada with his history of running away from stuff.

The moment it became the Koh one-man-show, I was out. I mean, even the thing he says doesn't fucking make sense. If Nada was such a good Ryusoulger, why did he get kicked out of knight school and turn to relying on a hatred armor? You're an idiot, Koh. Go fuck off for another episode so that other people can stand in the spotlight.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: Ryusoulger 32 released

Post by Slowking »

I am really annoyed with this one-man-show and I wouldn't be annoyed if the series had no good points about it - there are actually quite a few things which are good or even great. It's a shame because they just get overshadowed 90% of the time.

The Bamba talk was nice and I liked how Towa charged in with the pachygaroo upgrade; he should do it more often. The Melto/Oto moment was cute.

The pumpkin minusaur was the best bit, his umbrella and later beach umbrella is cool, I want one. The rain/hate idea was interesting, as was massive hate cloud inside Gaisorg. Just not convinced how they were tied together; it felt a bit rushed.

I guess the Gaisorg armour went for Koh as he is always the most accepting, open-minded one. The armour doesn't only choose strong people, it also chooses people who have a strong will for something. And Koh was portrayed as having the strongest desire to save Nada from the rest.

One thing which I'm still confused about; wasn't Gaisorg implied/shown to have contact or co-operate with the Druidons? Was that ever explained?

It's really a shame how 1) bad pacing 2) bad story-telling 3) criminally side-lined characters have not made me care as much about the Gaisorg plot. It just feels like they introduced him briefly around ep. 12, forgot about him, remembered him around ep. 25 and then had to somehow conclude it all in ep. 32.

Where's Wiseru?

4/5 from me too just for the bits which I actually liked.
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Slowking wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:31 pm One thing which I'm still confused about; wasn't Gaisorg implied/shown to have contact or co-operate with the Druidons? Was that ever explained?
Not that I recall? It was built by the Ryusoul Tribe to fight the Druidons, but it became a berserker armor in the end? I don't remember it ever collaborating with the Druidons...

Speaking of which, why does Nada work with the Druidons earlier in the series? How does that make any sense?
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

all I know is I agree, this series is TOO red-centric... and ffs, the preview.... I'll wait 2 weeks to discuss. >.>
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

a bubble filter will give me all teh nudez i need
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I can say the positives of this episode outweighed the negatives for me in the end, though the negatives feel like they really could have been avoided.

For the third time in a row, we're mixing in a superfluous monster with the Gaisorg plot, except the writers chose to actually 'tie it in' by having them use the monster's powers to remove the hatred from the armour. I really do not like this. I don't like at all that this long-running arc regarding this evil armour was resolved thanks to what was essentially pure coincidence. I would have much preferred if they went the more straightforward option of the hatred being pushed out thanks to the combined willpower of all the Ryusoulgers or something.

Anyhow, as for the story itself, I found it decent. It's undeniable that the show really should have used more of the time Nada was around to give more peeks into his backstory and making him feel more like a real ally, instead of doing it all at once in this episode, but I did get into it. All of the characters felt like they were putting their all into it, especially Banba, and it's only natural that after watching Gaisorg be such a menace for so long, that it felt really special when he came around to the heroes' side for real in the end.

Now, regarding all the red-focus... Obviously the last few episodes (and it looks like the next few...) have been consistently putting Koh in the center of the action, and he is basically mandatory in all the mecha fights even when nobody else is not (they really should have made it so you need at least three of them to pilot KishiryuOh at all times or something). But with all that said, I don't find myself nearly as irritated as when the Lupinrangers literally stole toys, mechs and screentime from the Patrangers (and I liked the Lupins a lot). I really do feel like the show and story as a whole hasn't been going out of it's way to paint Koh as the absolute best or the only one who can do anything... even if the merchandise keeps happening to fly to him.

I don't blame anyone for being sick of him being the one to highlight all the toys though, and the show could have very easily remedied this by just rotating out who gets to use the toys. There's no reason why on any random episode that Melto or Asuna or whoever can't just jump into Tyramigo or use the power-up souls more than once, yet it doesn't happen.

Anyhow, that mecha fight was surprisingly great? It doesn't feel right that this haphazard combination of KishiRyuOh with wings and boxing gloves had a more impressive debut than YokuRyuOh on his own did last week. I loved that backdrop of the clouds they had (and it actually made sense as opposed to last week's frozen city), and the CGI involved while flying through the evil thunderstorm was actually quite good too.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

Just don't know how Bandai and Toei think that focus on Red will make the good toy sales? Or they want to try make Sentai is another Rider show, which only focus on main Rider (in this case is Red). It's happen in recent years, although 90s, 00s... Red still get important role, but do not steal spotlight in recent series.

Koh is better than Takaharu and Lucky (not big mouth with idiot thinking), but compare to Kairi and Yamato, he didn't have any development on his personality. Moreover, his actor show bad acting.
Kamen Rider Blade
Go Go!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Blade »

I know Red is supposed to be the Leader/Focus of a group, but I wish the writers would remember that they are writing for a Sentai and not Kamen Rider.

Like why did the swords that they all use have to have a red accent?

Why couldn't it have a Orange Paint job?

Why did the heads all have to be T-Rex heads?

Why couldn't they get the respective heads of their dino's?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

BreadToku wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 pm I can say the positives of this episode outweighed the negatives for me in the end, though the negatives feel like they really could have been avoided.
That's as good a way as any to put this episode.

The show sort of blunders its way through things at times, for stupid reasons that don't need to happen. But at the end of the day it's a fitting capstone to the Gaisorg saga; there are some good, heartfelt moments, and while there's some comic relief at points, the episode otherwise plays things straight and seriously. By and large it does a good job of setting up an delivering the kind of beats needed to drive a good story.

I just wish the build-up was there. This arc had the potential to be up there with Dragon Caesar, Time Fire, etc - an engrossing multi-parter that ultimately ends in an evil ranger flipping sides. But the Gaisorg story kept getting sidetracked by MOTW shenanigans, and Nada's backstory was pretty much force-fed to us. Up to now, I don't remember us being shown that he had run away from the Ryusoul tribe, for example.

Now the billion won question: will Nada be sticking around as the 7th ranger? Or will they find a way to throw him out (or reduce him to recurring) after the next couple of episodes?

And yeah, Koh hogging everything is a problem. I have nothing new to add to the subject, but it's dragging the show down, and one way or another it needs corrected.

On a technical note, the aspect ratio switch for the recap at the beginning of the episode was an odd choice. Sentai has done recaps a number of times, but I don't recall them ever shifting the aspect ratio to cinematic widescreen as part of the process. This leaves one to ponder whether it will be something they do from now on, or if it was just an experiment.
Anyhow, that mecha fight was surprisingly great? It doesn't feel right that this haphazard combination of KishiRyuOh with wings and boxing gloves had a more impressive debut than YokuRyuOh on his own did last week. I loved that backdrop of the clouds they had (and it actually made sense as opposed to last week's frozen city), and the CGI involved while flying through the evil thunderstorm was actually quite good too.
The cloud set was pretty darn silly (we're standing on clouds like they're the ground?), but I will give the set designers credit there. it really did look nice. They did a great job of layering in set pieces, smoke, and the horizon beyond that.

In fact, whoever is doing the smoke/cloud effects was on top of their game this week. The cloud of hate looked fantastic! Stylistically, they went with something that's best described as not quite real, but as a result it looks unnatural an ominous, which really sells it once it takes the shape of Gaisorg's mask.

And yeah, the CGI turned out well, too. That was a bit of an editing trick on Toei's part since it's easier to hide the imperfections of CGI in a dark scene, but it was used to good effect here.
Lunagel wrote: Asuna's actress has put out her own calendar for 2020 if you really want it. (Sorry pervs, no nudes)
Ouch. Do you really think that little of us, Luna? :( :lol:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:26 am
Lunagel wrote: Asuna's actress has put out her own calendar for 2020 if you really want it. (Sorry pervs, no nudes)
Ouch. Do you really think that little of us, Luna? :( :lol:
Let's just say I know most of you XD
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'd feel a little more about this episode if I cared at all.

Nada isn't interesting and doesn't come across as tragic. Gaisorg is now the extra ranger? I just feel like the set up and pay off is kind of underwhelming.

Robot combination looked great as always though.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I felt this was a pretty good episode and not a bad resolution to the Gaisorg plot overall (with the exception of the minosaur draining hatred essentially by coincidence), but why didn't they wait another 10 episodes? I thought Ghost really suffered after dumping their most interesting villain, so the fact that I'd particularly liked Gaisorg and that we only really know who he is for around 3 or 4 episodes before he's done doesn't seem to bode well.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
FishFaceL
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus/Kamen Rider Build

Post by FishFaceL »

I’m pretty torn on this episode because on one hand I thought the episode itself was pretty good and resolved the Gaisoulg stuff quite nicely, but at the same time I’m kinda disappointed his storyline is already over. I mean technically he’s been around since episode 12 but his actual story barely even started until like 3 episodes ago. This would’ve been so much more effective if Gaisoulg hadn’t spent most of the show so far creeping around not contributing anything to the season.
Gekko
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gekko »

It's just an extremely minor error, but...

There's a missing line at around 17:51, but it's just a repeat of the "Kishiryu Jet!" line, anyway...

And if this even matters, in 19:13, the "Blizzard" is missing a single "z".

But otherwise, still a great episode! Thanks for the hard work, TV-Nihon. As always...

If the last line at the preview says anything, I don't think Nada would be a permanent Ryusoulger member. But who knows?

(This is why I sometimes hate my OCD.)
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I always find it weird when people buy calendars like that. Like, are you gonna hang it up on your wall? Cause people will come to visit and it'll be awkward when they see it because they know damn well why you bought a sexy calendar of an actress. At least with photobooks you don't generally put them on display.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”