Poll: What's your opinion of Ryusoulger?

Another dinosaur Sentai???
Forum rules

Ryusoulger Wiki Link

< LVSP | Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger | Kiramager >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:08 pm

☆☆☆☆☆ What a valiant knight!
8%
☆☆☆☆ Second to red
17%
☆☆☆ Background regular
25%
☆☆ Second worst dinosaur
28%
☆ This is really not my knight
22%

Total votes: 36
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Poll: What's your opinion of Ryusoulger?

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Images
Master Poll List

So the series is 3/5s over and its entering the dire 30s block of a yearlong show. How are people liking Ryusoulger? Are you digging it? Is it a bit on the meh side? Do you hate it?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Ryusoulger?

Post by Catastrophe »

Pros: Bamba

Cons: Everything else.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole thing. Middling plot. No real overarching antagonistic organisation structure. Most of the characters are uninteresting. The older mechs are disused at this point. Someone needs to tell the Sentai bosses that just putting Dinosaurs on something doesn't make it great. Comparing this to the last Dinosaur series (which is possibly one of the best Sentai series of all time) just shows how glaring the flaws are.

I always struggle to rate a show like this. I feel like 2 is harsh, but 3 is too good? It's a little worse than average.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I'd say this show is 'average' in the sense that it feels like it is just ticking off a check-list of an average Super Sentai season rather trying to do or be anything special in of itself. The production quality is as good as ever, so it is at least always nice to look at.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah I gave it a 3 myself. I don't think it's bad, but it's all stuff we've seen before. And it does suffer from the lack of real teamwork, turning into the red and gold show at times. Also Ui and her father feel superfluous most of the time.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The other thing I forgot to mention that I think is really important is that the villains suck. The best sentai seasons have villains that have characterisation of their own. The Deboss Legion and Shadow Line should be the gold standard reference point for how to do it. We never have any ranger and general rivalries anymore either.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

Catastrophe wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:37 pm The other thing I forgot to mention that I think is really important is that the villains suck. The best sentai seasons have villains that have characterisation of their own. The Deboss Legion and Shadow Line should be the gold standard reference point for how to do it. We never have any ranger and general rivalries anymore either.
Well, we did have a 'rivalry' with Zamigo last year which was... almost good. Yeah, I miss the Shadow Line too.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

BreadToku wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:12 pm Well, we did have a 'rivalry' with Zamigo last year which was... almost good. Yeah, I miss the Shadow Line too.
I know my memory is terrible, but what rivalry? Didn't Zamigo show up like 3 times?
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

takenoko wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:46 pm I know my memory is terrible, but what rivalry? Didn't Zamigo show up like 3 times?
That he only showed up like 3 times was part of the problem, yeah. The show tried to play him up as the thieves' (mostly just Kairi's) arch-enemy, but it was rather half-baked.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I mean, if he had appeared more it he would have worked better.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Catastrophe wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:11 am Pros: Bamba

Cons: Everything else.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole thing. Middling plot. No real overarching antagonistic organisation structure. Most of the characters are uninteresting. The older mechs are disused at this point. Someone needs to tell the Sentai bosses that just putting Dinosaurs on something doesn't make it great. Comparing this to the last Dinosaur series (which is possibly one of the best Sentai series of all time) just shows how glaring the flaws are.

I always struggle to rate a show like this. I feel like 2 is harsh, but 3 is too good? It's a little worse than average.
Mediocre, I'd say. It's pulling a Jyuohger right now; it's (generally) inoffensive, but it's also not successfully doing much to hold my attention.

Very broadly speaking here, perhaps the problem is that Sentais that are first and foremost character-driven sitcoms just aren't very good? Or at least, they aren't very good by the expectations of westerners? The highest rated series here all had stronger serialization and bigger plot arcs. Not to mention a much stronger sense of conflict between the heroes and villains.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Is Ryusoulger character driven? I just think it's badly written. If this were character driven, I'd hope I'd like the characters more than this. As it is, I find Koh annoying, I like the core four for the most part, but they never feel like they get enough screen time. Canalo I think is too one-note.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

It definitely isn't. The characters don't drive shit.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:45 am Is Ryusoulger character driven? I just think it's badly written. If this were character driven, I'd hope I'd like the characters more than this. As it is, I find Koh annoying, I like the core four for the most part, but they never feel like they get enough screen time. Canalo I think is too one-note.
Well it's certainly not plot-driven, given the lack of any meaty plots until relatively recently. So if not a character-driven quasi-sitcom, I'm not sure what else it could be if we're following traditional narrative styles.

None of this precludes the characters being written badly, I should add. Character-driven is only that for better or worse, their antics and relationships are driving the show.
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

By the online poll I give a 2 but in actuality I’ll give Ryusoulger a 2.5. It’s Kyoryuuger but without any of the charisma Kyoryuuger had
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Week of episode 41 and the vote average is 2.31 (13 votes).

Return to “Kishiryuu Sentai Ryusoulger”