No votes
No votes

Total votes: 12
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Tokusatsu GAGAGA 01 released

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:01 pm
ViRGE wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 am Heck, they even filmed the toku sections at 24fps instead of 30fps like the rest of the show. It's a labor of love for someone, that's for sure.
>Really? That's why some scenes looked different! How did they get the idea to do this?

Probably because the channel it's currently on films most of its shows in 24fps.
For reasons I won't get into, 24fps is the de facto standard for movies. It's sort of the bare minimum for smooth motion, and anything wanting to look "cinematic" tends to be filmed that way. In fact most content is filmed at 24fps, meaning that content filmed at 30/60fps is quite rare. Sports will be at 60fps for maximum motion smoothness, meanwhile dramas will sometimes film at 30fps, leading to the soap opera effect. In the case of Tokusatsu GAGAGA, it's filmed at 30fps like a soap opera.

There's nothing particularly novel about filming the toku sections at 24fps, but it's one of those details that showed someone cared about authenticity. A lesser production would use 30fps throughout (and there's an argument to be had that mixing framerates isn't a good idea to start with, since it leads to juddering on the 24fps sections as frames get duplicated).
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity
Alignment: Neutral

Post by fartboy »

Phoenix512 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:06 pm
fartboy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:16 pm Does this series get a 720p release?
It's up there now. I was on vacation when it was initially released and none of the other staff bothered to do the 720p release even though I did say I was going to be gone until today.
Thanks! :D
BuraddoRun
7X
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Shiraishi Mako
Favorite Actor?: Takeshi Kitano
Favorite Band: Momoiro Clover Z
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MLB
Quote: "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." -Isaiah 1:18

Post by BuraddoRun »

takenoko wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 am So if you're a toku fan, trying to introduce a friend to the genre. Would you ever show your friend Tokusatsu GAGAGA to try to explain the culture of toku fandom to them first, or would you rather just show them a tokusatsu show first?
So I did this on Monday. :lol: I showed it to a friend who is an anime fan, and sometimes J-drama fan, but doesn't much like tokusatsu. He thinks it's too childish. I showed this to him and he didn't really get it like a tokusatsu fan would. He understood the gist of course, but some of the finer details went over his head. I think it's better to just pick a favorite episode of a tokusatsu show if you want to introduce it to someone, and explain to them what you like about it. If they like it, they like it, and if not...it happens. Of course my friend doesn't make fun of me liking it or anything. I mean, he likes anime and video games and comics and stuff so he has his own fandoms. Finding tokusatsu friends in real life is pretty difficult, actually.

But yeah, this show really hits the notes well. I love how Kano explains (partially in her head) how these shows remind her to be a kind adult. Really, all of her reasons for liking tokusatsu hit my heart as well. The innocence, the cool-factor...this show really portrays it well.

I laughed so hard when "Damian" appeared!

That's interesting and pretty amazing, the frame-rate info on the drama VS the toku scenes.

All around this is just a great show. Thanks for subbing it for us TVNihon!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Speaking of which, Damian is going to be Damien in future episodes. I should have double checked before, but the spelling with the e is usually the one associated with the son of the devil.

I have more to say about your anecdote, but I'm going to save it for when ep 3 is out.
ryujin
Gabu
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Zero
Dreamy: Matsuyama Mary
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: SCANDAL
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: PS4
Quote: R/B is just ORB without the O and Tiga is just Taiga without the A ... tabun :P
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ryujin »

I'm glad i checked this one out, i rarely watch drama's but a Toku-inspired one got me interested, and wow, the 1st episode alone was awesome, it reminded me of the anime "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!" sans the outlandish and exaggerated delusions lol!, also, there's this one girl that really caught my eye, she looked very very familiar to me, i was like, is it her?, so i double checked the actors and i was right, it is SKE's Uchiyama Mikoto cause i followed SKE for a while before and she is still one of my faves, being more like a tomboy rather than an idol, she cracks me up, it's great that TV-Nihon decided to do this gem since the real toku show that is KR Zio is a pile of garbage to me.

Honestly though, at first glance of the pic, i mistook the main character actor for Nogizaka46' Nishino Nanase lol!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I'm really liking the way Takeda Rena is voices Yuki-chan.

Though her role is small here, I'm really liking Kurashina Kana as the lady on the train. Her character plays a bigger part as the series progresses and she's great.

It's also bizarre seeing Kinami Haruka play such a hardass in this. It's very different from the other roles that I've seen her in.

Return to “Tokusatsu GAGAGA”