Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Tokusatsu GAGAGA 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: N/A

Alt Title: Did Toei help make this?

I didn't really know what to expect from this series, but it's pretty fun. From the promotional images, it sort of seemed like the main characters were going to become heroes like in AkibaRanger. I'm pleased that it's more grounded so far and is actually more focused on the fandom and the people involved in it.

Like, I'm into portrayals of being an otaku is being something you selectively share with people you know well. Although it's pretty funny when it's compared to oppressed Christians too. But yeah, trying to find someone else who likes what you likes is pretty important!

The other thing I wanted to say is that the quality of the toku stuff is pretty spot on. Also, if Toei isn't involved on this, seems borderline copyright infringey? Like the Jyushouwan logo really looks like the GaoRanger font, for example.

Takeda Rena from Amazons is here too! <3

So if you're a toku fan, trying to introduce a friend to the genre. Would you ever show your friend Tokusatsu GAGAGA to try to explain the culture of toku fandom to them first, or would you rather just show them a tokusatsu show first?
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Re: Tokusatsu GAGAGA 01 released

Post by SacredCultivator »

Didn't know what to expect going into this but I have to say, it's very entertaining and I feel most people can easily relate to this. Whether it's tokusatsu or anything really, at times you don't want to openly express it unless you find another niche of people that share the same interest.

The back and forth between reality and what she's thinking in her head is done really well here too.

If I had to introduce people to the genre, I'd probably show them a tokusatsu show first and then if they question it refer them to this to sort of explain things.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick

Post by takenoko »

Our (#TV-Nihon) release of Tokusatsu GAGAGA is going to be a bit delayed. There was an earthquake that occurred on the original airing, so the first few minutes had a blue box around it.

Fortunately, they reaired it last night so we’ve got a new raw video to work off of.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I really liked that. Someone should hook her and Akiba Red up, they'd be great together. That said, this show does seem to exist in a weird alternate reality where the main character has never heard of the internet, given she seems unable to find likeminded people.

Nice bit of trivia for anyone who cares, Koshiba Fuka, the leading lady, is good friends with Moritaka Ai (ToQ 5gou), at least going by their Instagram feeds. I'm sure Kano would be very jealous of the girl playing her.
Spoiler
Toraiger lady in the preview seems like the kind of person who posts weird comments on actors' Instagram photos.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

thank you for taking up the show! Even if it’s more drama, a change of pace can be good.
fartboy
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: ToQger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Robert Baldwin
Favorite Actor?: Yosuke Kishi
Favorite Band: Do As Infinity

Post by fartboy »

Does this series get a 720p release?
Eric
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Ex-Aid
Dreamy: Poppy Pipopapo
Favorite Actor?: Iijima Hiroki
Favorite Band: something else
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: music, cheese stuff
Quote: "Hello there." -Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Eric »

I got curious to see this Jdorama but I like it how the series develops. I love that Kano's soft spot on the first episode, Nakamura Kano is the main character right? Also I knew what the Toku Ota means.
Spoiler
I'm started to cringe at Kano so much everytime she had thoughts about toku (also her soft spot).
Probably next episode she will meet "Toraiger lady" to be sure.
[Edited twice because I forgot where I put spoiler code on.]
Discord: Eric the Gaming Guy#2407 | Deviantart | Tumblr

Watching: Zi-O, Saikyou Battle (Miniseries), Tokusatsu GAGAGA (Jdorama)
Completed: Gaim, ToQ, Ghost, Zyuoh, Ex-Aid, Kyuu, Build, Lupin VS Pat
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

I LOOOOOOVE IT! It's so hilarious and smart. Thanks so much for working on this show. Wow, I was not expecting this to be what it is. I love that this feels like a more grounded Akibaranger. WOW. <3
Bayushi-rei
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Build
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuya Iwanaga
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona

Post by Bayushi-rei »

I was interested in this when I first saw some promo images a while ago, but now that I have watched the first episode, I love it, bit cringy at times, but that might just be because of how close to home it hits. :P

Definitely looking forward to the rest of the series.
Currently watching:
Sentai - Dekaranger, Jyuohger, Kyuuranger.
KR - Faiz, Kabuto, OOO, Zi-O.
Other -

Finished:
Sentai - Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Kyouryuuger, Toqger, Lupin vs Pato.
KR - W, Fourze, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid, Build.
Other - Tokusatsu GAGAGA.
JDPenza
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by JDPenza »

Really enjoyed this! Looking forward to the next episode. Nakamura is so damned cute! :)
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

It's a cute concept for sure, especially with a female lead. And I really like the imagine spots basically being toku parodies. But I have to admit I struggled here a bit with some of the cringey moments; at times it was laid on so heavy that it was hard to watch.

I'll probably give the series another episode or two, and see if it mellows a bit. Though I suspect the cringe factor is meant to be one of the defining elements of the series.

Edit: oh, and I can't forget the golf bit. That was hilarious :lol:
takenoko wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:19 am The other thing I wanted to say is that the quality of the toku stuff is pretty spot on. Also, if Toei isn't involved on this, seems borderline copyright infringey?
It really is done well. They don't just have the tropes down, but the Toei styles, some of the basic choreography, etc. Heck, they even filmed the toku sections at 24fps instead of 30fps like the rest of the show. It's a labor of love for someone, that's for sure.
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

P.S. I'm so excited for episode 2!!! Haven't been excited for a show in a while. :-p
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

After I finished it, I realized that this was my first ever non-tokusatsu Japanese drama. And it was probably worth it.

I liked the silliness of the main character, but also enjoyed the parts where she fantasizes about the fictional characters. But there were a few scenes where I felt like they were overdoing the craziness part, so I give it 4 stars.

Don't know if this is relevant, but noticed a small typo during 01:11-01:12: the subtitle says "Fightiing"
ViRGE wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 am Heck, they even filmed the toku sections at 24fps instead of 30fps like the rest of the show. It's a labor of love for someone, that's for sure.
Really? That's why some scenes looked different! How did they get the idea to do this?
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

fartboy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:16 pm Does this series get a 720p release?
It's up there now. I was on vacation when it was initially released and none of the other staff bothered to do the 720p release even though I did say I was going to be gone until today.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick

Post by takenoko »

>Don't know if this is relevant, but noticed a small typo during 01:11-01:12: the subtitle says "Fightiing"

Whoops. Thanks for catching that! Probably not worth a reencode, but I can fix it in the script.
ViRGE wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:19 am Heck, they even filmed the toku sections at 24fps instead of 30fps like the rest of the show. It's a labor of love for someone, that's for sure.
>Really? That's why some scenes looked different! How did they get the idea to do this?

Probably because the channel it's currently on films most of its shows in 24fps.

Return to “Tokusatsu GAGAGA”