☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Super Sentai Saikyou Battle 04 released

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 pm >On a side note, I was thinking to myself "damn, it looks cold there" while everyone was outdoors. Then I saw the photos Takenoko posted. Yep, it was cold.:o

Oh yeah, I saw all those coats but didn't really think about why everyone was wearing them. I guess everyone must have been pretty cold.
I didn't even see that photo until later. I mean in the episode itself: the actors themselves just flat-out looked cold in the scenes that were shot outdoors. Hot pants do not make for good winter wear, despite the name. :shock:
On a tangent, I'm thinking about starting a collection of photos of Sakamoto posing next to a pretty girl with a big thumbs up and a silly grin. I think it'd be fitting
Haha. That would be perfect. Do it! :lol:
>Interesting. It's been quite a while since we've had a DC of anything Sentai-related.

*coughs* http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Category:Director's_Cut
Looks like the only one we had was Go-Busters. Although I could easily have skipped something since we make the wiki ourselves, but DC tends to fall on Rider stuff more than Sentai stuff. (And even then, the last one was years ago, probably around when Toei figured out that the disc industry was dying off)
Now that you mention it, you're right: it's been a while since the last Rider DC as well. I've missed those. Admittedly I didn't have to pay for them, but they were fun to watch. :P

(And at first glance the list is missing the epic Fourze 31-32 DC, but otherwise it looks complete to me)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

On a tangent, I'm thinking about starting a collection of photos of Sakamoto posing next to a pretty girl with a big thumbs up and a silly grin. I think it'd be fitting
Haha. That would be perfect. Do it! :lol:

/me whistles innocently
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Sakamoto_Koichi#Gallery

>Admittedly I didn't have to pay for them, but they were fun to watch. :P

Honestly, they're kind of a mixed bag. I liked seeing them as deleted scenes/cutting room floor stuff for Kiva. Since we got some funny jokes (was there deleted scenes for Den-O). But when they started adding them back and rereleasing them as director's cuts, it became kind of a unfun game of trying to spot what 10-15 minute additions exist to justify rebuying the movie. And from that framework, it became a lot less amusing since the cut scenes rarely added anything.

>(And at first glance the list is missing the epic Fourze 31-32 DC, but otherwise it looks complete to me)

Haha, it's on there. The two-parter was rereleased under the title Climax Episode
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I don't know why they bother to have a giant monster fight if they aren't going to bother having a giant robot fight.
windfall
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by windfall »

takenoko wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 pm
Yeah, it's sad that Rita's backstory has nothing to do with ZyuRangers. It's just a visual homage and a few name drops, but nothing more. Also, it feels like they should have had a fifth episode where the dinosaur warriors come and pass the baton off to the Ryusoulgers. The fact that ALL the dinosaur sentai members were absent felt like they were planning something, BUTTT didn't get around to doing it.
They're probably saving it for the inevitable nostalgia milking vs movie. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't want to pay for the actors twice.
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

windfall wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:10 am They're probably saving it for the inevitable nostalgia milking vs movie. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't want to pay for the actors twice.
Are they going to do it again though? I doubt it, since not all the actors are available, a couple of them have retired too.
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

The last Director's Cut was the Kyoryuger Brave Prelude, which was episodes 1-4.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I totally forgot that was a thing, thank you!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

takenoko wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:03 pm I totally forgot that was a thing, thank you!
I watched it for the first time recently, it was alright, but none of the new footage was really worthwhile. The promised scenes of the other 4 getting their Zyudenryu were incredibly short. I'm gonna listen to the audio commentary for it, so that should be fun. The Kyuranger vs Space Squad audio commentary was great too. Take a shot every time they say someone looks like someone more famous.

I don't expect much from the Saikyou Battle DC. We don't have a run time yet, but I bet it's not much. At best I'm hoping for some more Gokai Changes. Anything else I don't expect at all. There's also no sign of audio commentary for it, which is a shame. As I said, those are often fun.
Seen:
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I think Luna looked at Brave Prelude and was like "Nah".
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

DCs are almost never worth it.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I recall asking you at the time and you said no, and having since watched it, I can see why. Aside from a few little bits, I could barely even tell what was new.
Seen:
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

For movies at least you only have to edit one script but for the Kyouryuuger DC we were looking at 4 separate scripts and sometimes an added 2-5 seconds a scene, which doesn't sound like much but it throws everything off. Ultimately I decided that it was just not worth the effort.

tl;dr I am lazy bum
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Honestly if you wanted to do that or the Saikyou Battle DC I'd probably be up for doing the timing for you.
Seen:
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I actually really enjoyed this miniseries! Lots of fun little moments, and I remember thinking in episode one "oh huh, she's named Rita and has a little staff, so it's a cute nod to Power Rangers, neat!" and then The Explicit References happened in this episode and I was extremely happy.

I'm also far more interested in Ryusoulger than before, because Gaisorg is not just a cool costume, but a haunted suit of armour who could contain anyone, but specifically going to certainly be character-important people to drive drama clear into the stratosphere? Hell yes. It's another neat permutation on the Evil Ranger theme, like Wolzard who he openly evokes with colours, armour construction, and a beefy-boi shield.

I also enjoyed the various super forms hitting Ultimate Dai-Santa to absolutely no effect, so Marvelous just slams GokaiGalleon into the guy. It's the most Gokaiger "this is extremely effective, so we're doing it" thing.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I'm also far more interested in Ryusoulger than before, because Gaisorg is not just a cool costume, but a haunted suit of armour who could contain anyone, but specifically going to certainly be character-important people to drive drama clear into the stratosphere?

Isn't the haunted armor thing literally from Abaranger though?
HowlingSnail wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 am Honestly if you wanted to do that or the Saikyou Battle DC I'd probably be up for doing the timing for you.
Thanks, but the thing would probably need to literally be completely retimed, so we can take care of that.

Return to “Super Sentai Saikyou Battle”