KR Zero-One 08 released

Everything starts at 0. I mean 1.
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zero-One Wiki Link

< Zi-O | Zero-One |

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:53 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
79%
☆☆☆☆
8%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
4%
No votes

Total votes: 24
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Zero-One 08 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.22 / 5 (18 votes)

Alt Title: Man, it would have been a big balls move to kill off Fuwa this early

But seriously, Fuwa should be dead after that explosion.

Yaiba, are you sure you should be moving that left arm around so much? Feel disappointed that she got beaten so easily this episode.

I'm glad they're finally covering the Singularity stuff. Disappointed that the doctors aren't able to fight off the hacking. I mean, it's not like they have the formal training and discipline of a bus tour guide.

So both Jin and Horobi are Humagear. Is Ark also a Humagear? I'm guessing it'll turn out to be a person.

Guess the Dodo guy is a recurring character now?

Horobi's Rider form is pretty fun. Like the bug theme.

Edit: Whoa, Mashiro-chan is played by Ohgo Suzuka, who was the lead in Sexy Voice and Robo. I don't know if many people have seen this old dorama that we worked on, but I highly recommend it. At least check out the first two episodes, it's a great series.
Xirix
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger

Re: KR Zero-One 08 released

Post by Xirix »

Someone needs to make a gif of Izu's laughter detection head spinning, please, I need it. XD
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Welp, the terrorists win this round while ZAIA/AIMS got screwed over. Hiden really needs to step up on R&D if they truly want to end the menace.

An excellent side kick from Takaiwa. I'm glad he's still on board the franchise.

Excellent episode.

Thinking about Korenosuke... I hope he had notes on singularity because his grandson's not doing a lot about it.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

i'm really surprised AIMS gots fucked so early in the series like that. Fuwa should be dead.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The bad riders being Humagears isn't a surprise. I'm interested as to why Horobi's sensor things on the side of his head look to be forcefully implanted into his head.

Also, that rider kick was bad ass. The designs in this series have all been 10/10 so far.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

This episode really is just our bad guys stomping on AIMS all day, and it rocked. Though someone really should have given those giant robots a security check after the attack.

Horobi no longer reminds me of Shinobi, he's now very much Rogue. While I still think Jin is the cooler design of the two, Horobi absolutely sold himself as a menacing and unstoppable villain (though I'm sure his strength will be pulled back to more reasonable levels within a few episodes). It also feels like to me that he is going to the main focus of Fuwa's rage and this will lead to a fierce one-sided rivalry of sorts. A little more subtle of a possibility I think is setting up Jin and Yaiba as each other's go-to enemy, what with how often they've come to blows in the last few episodes.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 pm So both Jin and Horobi are Humagear. Is Ark also a Humagear? I'm guessing it'll turn out to be a person.
Didn't they already establish that Ark is the satellite at the bottom of Daybreak Town? That said, I can totally see it gaining a humagear body of it's own later down the line so our heroes can physically fight it too.
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:36 pm I'm interested as to why Horobi's sensor things on the side of his head look to be forcefully implanted into his head.
Looked more to me like he ripped out the generic robot ears that used to be there, probably in defiance of the humans who built him or something.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 pmSo both Jin and Horobi are Humagear. Is Ark also a Humagear? I'm guessing it'll turn out to be a person.
the impression I've been getting from the scenes of them talking about the Ark whenever they're in daybreak town is that there's a busted up (and probably prototype) version of the satellite Zero-One's been getting his stuff that was in the town, and now underwater. iirc, episode 1 said that the satellite is the hub that all the humagear link up to when functioning normally, so this "ark" would be Horobi and Jin using the old version of the satellite to highjack all the humagear en-masse.

this is actually giving me another thought: if Horobi is also a humagear, how did he turn evil? was there a flaw in his programming, or should we expect a human villain later down the line who resents humanity and created "MetsubouJinrai.net"? possibly the latter, except that Horobi turned on and killed the human/the human is already dead for other reasons?

also, here's a thought: what if the currently operating satellite isn't HIDEN's. in episode 4, when they were showing the names of the companies that worked together to create daybreak town, ZAIA was the other BIG name. back in episode 1 we said the satellite's name was ZEA, but I forget: did we ever see that spelled out anywhere? or is ZAIA pronounced "zay-uh"? my theory: ZAIA made the satellite, as well as Zero-One's sword, but HIDEN was the one making the progrise keys. any that A.I.M.S. has are ones that were already made, and they haven't been able to reverse engineer them yet, so Zero-One's the first one getting new keys in years.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Ooh, a big two parter only 8 episodes in. Toei, you spoil us.

This is a major plot episode backed by some really good stuntwork. That's often a recipe for a fantastic episode, and that's certainly what we got here. It's a treat from start to end.

Amidst all the chaos, I like how grounded the series is in some ways. Ignoring for the moment the fact that Humagear are perfect human-like robots that can be turned into killing machines with a simple hack, and what you have is a fairly reasonable portrayal of how AI is being used in the world. It makes perfect sense that Humagear started as a healthcare AI project, because that's exactly what's happening in the real world right now. We're not up to robots walking around (yet), but we're already at the point where computer vision systems are being used for radiology diagnostics, fixed robotic instruments are doing surgery, etc. And Japan, of course, is seriously looking at what's necessary to get robots that can help with the physical labor of health care as well. Even though the series is ultimately fantasy, having this kind of hard sci-fi underpinning it really helps to sell the series and its world, I feel.

Speaking of which, we finally get an in-show explanation for the singularity. Rather than just being Humagear gaining sentience, as we first assumed, it's actually the point where they become smarter than a human. Which is much closer to the real-world definition of the singularity than I was expecting the show to go. I'll save the sci-fi navel gazing, but having characters afraid of AI exceeding humanity's intelligence, for all the problems that could bring, is a really good character motivation.

I also like how one of AIMS' solutions to the MJnet problem is to hack back the rouge Humagear to stop them. It's a very reasonable solution to regaining control. Of course, the fact that they built a giant, even more killer autonomous robot to do it is incredibly stupid precisely because of what would happen if the hackers got a hold of that too. So minus one point for AIMS, and minus two points for Yua in particular, as she's smart enough that she should have thought of that.

The action in this episode was also befitting a major plot episode. I actually had to stop and make sure Sakamoto wasn't doing this one. They did a great job on the wire-fu for the flying fight, and the on-the-ground stunt choreography was a step above as well. Also, lots of things blew up, which is always fun.:lol:

And hello Kamen Rider Horobi. I'm not sure his first Rider fight is especially special - it's the usual mini-boss introductory fight where he kicks the heroes asses - but he sure does it in style. I really like the methodical way he moves; it sells that he's a machine (a smart one, at that), and that he has a purpose in mind for every action he takes.
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 pm Alt Title: Man, it would have been a big balls move to kill off Fuwa this early

But seriously, Fuwa should be dead after that explosion.
Eh. We've seen Riders survive worse. The suit is meant to protect you from such things, after all. But it was definitely a beat down that he's not going to quickly get back up from. A fitting way to introduce KR Horobi.
Feel disappointed that she got beaten so easily this episode.
Ditto. Admittedly, everyone lost this episode (Aruto may have won his fight, but he lost the Nurse-bot), but she already has the least screen time of the three leads, so it would have been nice to see her do better.
Catastrophe wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:36 pm I'm interested as to why Horobi's sensor things on the side of his head look to be forcefully implanted into his head.
I second this. Thus far the show hasn't been glossing over details like this, giving us good, thoughtful reasons behind those details, so I'm hopeful that it'll be the same here.
BreadToku wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:08 pm
takenoko wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:53 pm So both Jin and Horobi are Humagear. Is Ark also a Humagear? I'm guessing it'll turn out to be a person.
Didn't they already establish that Ark is the satellite at the bottom of Daybreak Town? That said, I can totally see it gaining a humagear body of it's own later down the line so our heroes can physically fight it too.
Correct. The Ark is the satellite at the bottom of the lake. But so far the show has tactically avoided the subject of just how Zea works. So as things stand right now, there's nothing that precludes the two satellites from being sentient themselves; but there's also nothing that precludes a human being the real force behind all of this. For now, all we know for sure is that MJnet isn't acting on its own; whoever or whatever controls the Ark is the bigger bad calling the shots.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:06 pm also, here's a thought: what if the currently operating satellite isn't HIDEN's. in episode 4, when they were showing the names of the companies that worked together to create daybreak town, ZAIA was the other BIG name. back in episode 1 we said the satellite's name was ZEA, but I forget: did we ever see that spelled out anywhere?
It's not spelled out in English. I still think ZEA should be There and that the other Humagears like Is and Siesta have dumb English names, but that's just me lol. Actually, since I'm taking over as translator for the time being, I think I will change Siesta's name to that, since what the heck is a Shesta

Agreed that it's cool that they're applying real life applications to the story. I think it is true that machines are better at diagnosing people than human doctors already even?

>Rather than just being Humagear gaining sentience, as we first assumed, it's actually the point where they become smarter than a human

It's kind of funny because that's what I thought a singularity meant too. But luckily I did my research this time.

Poor Yaiba, so smart, but not a good showing this time around.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 amAgreed that it's cool that they're applying real life applications to the story. I think it is true that machines are better at diagnosing people than human doctors already even?
In incredibly limited circumstances. They're getting better as they gain experience, but it's still the very early days.
takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 am Actually, since I'm taking over as translator for the time being,
I had been meaning to ask about that. I noticed you did this week's (and Luna last week's). Did the new translator not work out? :(
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

... *cough* uuh, hey Fuwa *squatting next to the partly exploded 2nd Rider* Fuwa, buddy? ... I really hope it turns out you are either an advanced experimental humagear or brainwashed human to explain why despite being proven wrong several times through the past 8 episodes that you are still certain that humagears are, by nature, weapons meant to kill humans... cause this is getting old. Like, it was old in the previous episode where it was established that the humagears aren't simply going rogue but only go rogue when physically hacked by the terrorists... You listening? *pokes the body* ... well fair you rest that off that was a rough hit you took... damn.

Gotta say I am, not hugely crazy bout this episode, but mostly cause I want to see how they handle the fallout of what happened here. Not just how Fuwa comes out of this but like, if Aims get into any trouble for MAKING GIANT HUMAGEAR CONTROLLING ROBOTS, that were then taken over by terrorists and caused damage to a hospital and it's property (including the humeagears that were mass hacked by them because they aren't people yet so I imagine they are considered property legally). I do like that they can just naturally bring back the Dodo assassin. He's a fun sidekick for Jin so far.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 amAgreed that it's cool that they're applying real life applications to the story. I think it is true that machines are better at diagnosing people than human doctors already even?
In incredibly limited circumstances. They're getting better as they gain experience, but it's still the very early days.

Sounds like they're doing pretty well to me:
https://www.marsdd.com/magazine/compute ... -diseases/
https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... e-doctors/
takenoko wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:01 am Actually, since I'm taking over as translator for the time being,
I had been meaning to ask about that. I noticed you did this week's (and Luna last week's). Did the new translator not work out? :(

Ah yeah. He took on a new job the same week he started working on Zero-One, and has just been getting busier. I think Luna might have even done the translation for last week's episode? Hopefully he can help out with other stuff when he has more free time
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Eight episodes in, and, well, it is just me, or has this series been hitting it out of the ballpark?
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's got some fresh ideas for sure. It's hard to say at this stage because you'll probably be directly comparing it to its predecessor, which wasn't great. I'm definitely more optimistic.

I feel like not making everything a 2 parter helps out a lot.
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

This episode is good and all, but how come no one appreciates Jin being excited during Horobi henshin sequence? I think small gestures like he did made the scene even more exciting for me.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zero-One”