KR Zero-One 10 released

Everything starts at 0. I mean 1.
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Zero-One Wiki Link

< Zi-O | Zero-One |

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:12 am

☆☆☆☆☆
68%
☆☆☆☆
24%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 25
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: KR Zero-One 10 released

Post by takenoko »

To be fair, Takahashi didn't write this one. It's written by the new writer Kakehi Masaya, who wrote 5-7 (the manga one, the voice actor one, and the PE teacher one)
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

eeeeh, the mangaka episode
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Malika
Favorite Actor?: Nao Nagasawa
Favorite Band: Uverworld
My boom: Garo
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?
"Nobody's Perfect," until you fall in love with them.

Post by Kamen_Rider_Shiki »

And now we've officially entered military counting.
Favorites:
Kamen Rider - Black, Agito, W, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid
Super Sentai - Jetman, Megaranger, GoGo-V, Shinkenger, ToQger
Other - Garo, Ryukendo, Rescue Force
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Man, a wham right out of the cold open. And then the two talk about it later on, only for Yua to confess it straight to Fuwa.

Man, Aruto sucks at being an extra. That said, Owada shouldn’t be near droids.

Fuwa pulls the big damn heroes moment! And makes the declaration that he’ll overcome any/all of Yua’s deceptions.

Looking good there, Mr. ZAIA.

Nice episode. Good that Shinya Owada's in Kamen Rider.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

This wasn't the series' strongest episode, but it was still quite enjoyable. As everyone else has noted, after coming off of a very intense two-parter, it's a nice break that gets to focus more on the characters and to ratchet down the intensity a bit.

The idea they're setting up with the bot actor is an interesting one, but I'm not sure it's nuanced in quite the right way? The problem with the bot, as this episode plainly lays out, is that he can't (yet) improvise. Which I can completely buy, since it requires a very specific kind of creativity that would be hard for AI as we know it to replicate. However improv is a critical aspect of modern acting; while an an actor doesn't need to be able to go to the extremes as say a comedian, any good actor does at least need to be able to do it at a basic level. It would be like a handyman that couldn't use a wrench: it's not a core skill you use every second, but it's an important part of the skill set expected for every handyman. So it's hard to suspend my disbelief here and go with the story, because this feels like something that should have been recognized long before they ever started on their project.

At any rate, even if the core issue is kind of messy, I do like what they've built on top of it. Oowada being completely fooled by the assassin bot both sets up the latter's arc (more on that in a second), and it exposes Oowada's own prejudices. He can in fact work with a Humagear, he just doesn't know it yet.

As for assassin bot, he's become an interesting recurring character. I do think some of the other posts here are right in that it risks taking valuable development time away from the regulars. None the less, being able to see how an evil bot is trying to improve himself (like any other Humagear) is proving very interesting. It'll ultimately end up a tragedy, I'm sure, but I have a soft spot for series where both sides grow over time.

Meanwhile, the CGI/SFX continues to surprise me at points in this show. When Yua is switching forms in the first fight, it's basically perfectly done. They have the CGI and compositing down to the point where until they actually swap suits (and lose the continuity of the pose), it looks just like the physical suit. Everything is perfectly aligned and none of the assembled pieces look fake. Doing that is hard, as evidenced by years of these kinds of transformations being messy, so I'm impressed what they're pulling off on a TV show budget. (The air fight with all the CGI looks less good, but oh well)

I do however find it a bit lame that Fuwa's fight was immediately solved with a new power-up. In previous episodes they've worked these things in a bit more organically; here he just immediately shot everything and won the day. So if anyone has forgotten that we're still in the first quarter and Toei has toys to sell, here's your reminder.
takenoko wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:12 am So I dunno if they messed up, but the silly title from the preview isn't in this one. It looks like it got overwritten by the text for the ZAIA location.
I have to imagine they did. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets fixed for the Blu-Ray release.
I wish Yaiba were more of an equal Rider with Fuwa. It's just kind of painfully obvious who the second and tertiary riders are and it's kind of a pity since it sets up some unnatural feeling scenarios.
Agreed. The show isn't even pretending to give her and Fuwa equal billing in terms of importance right now. Both get plenty of screen time (and she's clearly very important to the story), but she hasn't been getting the big damn hero moments like Fuwa has. Then again, I suppose for at least right now, she's not really a hero...
Kamen_Rider_Shiki wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:02 am And now we've officially entered military counting.
Military counting? I'm not sure I follow.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Wow; I'd listed wanting to see more of the public's reactions to Hiden's decisions in the series discussion poll and two days later (or fiveish days beforehand) it's brought up directly. This show may not always do everything perfectly the first try, but it sure knows how to fix itself.

Having a small bit of acting background, I quite enjoyed little details like the actor Humagear stretching his mouth before a shoot and the human actor emphasizing acting's focus on interaction, but a lot of the episode felt somewhat up-and-down--it felt like some of the humor landed and some of it didn't, and similarly some of the human interactions worked better than other ones (mainly, Fuwa saving Yaiba and their discussion about fighting for what they believe in felt like it needed more setup, whereas Yaiba's warning to Fuwa gave the ominous-foreshadowing effect that I presume it wanted to give). Nicely done overall; the HumaGear-job motif is starting to get a little repetitive for me, but MJ didn't corrupt any HumaGears this episode, so it does seem to already be on track towards fixing (or at least shaking up) its formulaic-leaning issues so far.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado
Quote: "Living by supporting eachother is the game called life," so why can't I get a girlfriend?

ViRGE wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:58 am
Kamen_Rider_Shiki wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:02 am And now we've officially entered military counting.
Military counting? I'm not sure I follow.
Military counting; it's when soldiers count by separating the numbers and saying them. For example, 38 is Three-Eight and 4 is Zero-Four.
Favorites:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Are you talking about my front page comment on how it's episode one-zero?
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

I don't understand why people keep saying this is a filler episode... dodochan is obviously gonna play a big role later on as every time he gets defeated he grows stronger, and that yua-fuwa moment ... -snip-... so many development there in one episode
Last edited by Lunagel on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not talk about unreleased episodes
Kamen_Rider_Shiki
Douza Uru Zazaado

Pretty much, Takenoko. Pretty much.
Favorites:
NightdyneMesa
Quote: Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by NightdyneMesa »

Starting to feel a bit suspicious of Izu XD

The Dodo guy reminds me of that character in Drive where he's gonna be there for a very long time feuding with Zero-One, would be funny if he somehow evolves further and decides to defect from MetsubouJinrai.net.

So ZAIA boss is apparently another developer like Hiden, no wonder they have been sketchy from the beginning. Despite this being a filler I don't mind this episode and I'm looking forward to the next. I think it is available now and I'm gonna be downloading it after this. :D
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

It's a good set up episode towards the second part of the two-parter, but I wish this was more of a character piece that later reveals itself as the first of a two parter. Actor bot friend would have been perceived better had it an actual personality and able to act as well as a human. Otherwise it feels just thrown in that he'll be turned eventually while the episode focuses on other things. Izu was awesome trying to get Aruto's attention. As others have mentioned, there's no way she hasn't already achieved singularity and/or will achieve it.

Return to “Kamen Rider Zero-One”