Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Densha Otoko: The Movie

Post by takenoko »

So last night I finally watched the Densha Otoko movie. It was pretty good, I liked it.

I think that thing that made it work was the fact that it was nothing like the TV series. The pace is a lot more easygoing and there's only one real major conflict in the movie. It was a relaxing watch

I liked the Net people in this. I kind of wish they had done more with their back story, like I kind of wonder what the nurse's story was? I thought the couple that went from being in separate rooms to eating at the same table was nice

I was kind of worried that Densha in this would be some super handsome guy like in the @deep movie, but he did a good job at being Densha. You can see the guy speak better and become more confident as the movie progresses. Plus there's one scene great scene at the end where he's chasing Hermes, and he's stripping off the facade that he created for himself. He drops his magic phone that he relies on throughout the movie. He takes off the nice clothes to reveal some geeky t-shirt. Then he falls down and his contacts falls out, forcing him to wear glasses. When Hermes finds him, he's on the ground looking for his glasses. He takes them and puts them on, then sees himself with Hermes in the store TV, and he just kind of shirks away. It just seemed really well thought out

Another thing that made me hesitate about the movie was that I thought Hermes looked too old, like she was Densha's mother. I don't find the TV Hermes that attractive, but I feel nothing when I see the movie version. That said, I guess Hermes is the kind of girl who is kind of nurturing and tolerant, so maybe that was fitting? For most of the film she's the calm one, the one reassuring Densha.

For some reason, I feel like this Hermes had more of a reason to want to be with the movie Densha than the TV version, even though I'm not really sure what either saw in their respective Denshas attractionwise. Like Densha is so nervous at the beginning that I'm surprised they don't find that exhausting. That said, I think movie Densha does a better job at proving that he cares about Hermes, although the PC guide doesn't hold a candle to the anti-stalker manual

Another funny thing, look who's one of the otaku:
Gee, good thing that guy isn't typecast (he's the otaku Fangire in Kiva)

I'm pretty sure the guy on the right is Knight. I recognized his voice before seeing his face. It's funny that he keeps asking people to go out on dating parties with him
IijumiSoukai
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Tenchi Muyo
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Fire
Dreamy: Yoko Mitsuya <3
Favorite Actor?: Should I have one?
Favorite Band: Ask above
My boom: Drawing

Re: Densha Otoko: The Movie

Post by IijumiSoukai »

I think that both Miki Nakatani and Masaki Itoh are beautiful, but I'd give the slight edge to Masaki.

I did like the way that married couple was separate because as I was watching the first half, I was thinking, "Why does that door look familiar in those two panels?" :lol: Also the ota dying in battle was hilarious.

I felt that drama had more meat to it than the movie in reference to all the major moments of the novel. Then again, the drama was longer so that's more than likely expected.

I thought that it was a smart move to have the movie Hermes explained why she'd fallen for Densha by emphasizing all the little things that he did, thus reaffirming that...that's something, which really matters in love. My only problem is that the subs were a little off at times. When Densha got the cups, he clearly said "Cupuu", but the subs showed "Present" instead. Other than that, it's a good movie that I keep in the dvd player.

Btw Take, did you happen to visit those message boards during the whole "Densha Otoko Occurance"?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Nah. I'm sure the messages boards are archived somewhere where people can see them though

I was watching the Japanese DVD, so I can't comment on the subs. I assume they're the usual lazy commercial industry standard though
IijumiSoukai
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Tenchi Muyo
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Fire
Dreamy: Yoko Mitsuya <3
Favorite Actor?: Should I have one?
Favorite Band: Ask above
My boom: Drawing

Post by IijumiSoukai »

Pretty much. Then again, if I couldn't speak or understand any of the language at all, I wouldn't notice a thing.

Ahhh, catering to the "casual market". Not that it's a bad thing.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I just netflixed this movie. It was very enjoyable. Takenoko's comments are very good, I can't really add anything there.

Trivia note though, looking at the cast bios, it said the woman cast as Hermes was picked because in the original book Hermes was described as looking like that actress.

Return to “Densha Otoko”