Kiramaaa? Kirameh? Kirameki! Poll

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

What you do?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:28 am

Kiramager because mage
28%
Kirameiger because phonetic
30%
Waste third option here
2%
Kiramager but KirameiRed since it sounds weird without the -ge at the end
40%

Total votes: 47
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramaaa? Kirameh? Kirameki! Poll

Post by takenoko »

Time to vote!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Kiramaaa? Kirameh? Kirameki! Poll

Post by Lunagel »

Please note that xiiliea and I will be translating the series and have mostly settled on just using Kirama- for everything since it's derived from "mage"
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The that's what I'll use because I don't know any better. Realistically, it probably doesn't matter on account of the fact that there is guaranteed to be some Japanese language genius who will complain about it in every episode release thread anyway.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Lunagel wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:58 am Please note that xiiliea and I will be translating the series and have mostly settled on just using Kirama- for everything since it's derived from "mage"
My argument against this is that it sounds weird for it to be KiramaRed when it's not a "mah" sound, it's a "mei" sound. It's find for "mage" in Kiramager, but every other instance has it as Kiramei by itself. So it'll be translated as Kirama Stone, but sound like Kiramei Stone. It probably won't bother many people, but I dislike that sort of discordance.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

I personally hate the cognitive dissonance between hearing ki-ra-me-i and reading kirama. Even if you use English vowel sounds and not Japanese, your first instinct is mah (like map) not meh (like mage).

But it's just for their personal titles and the Stones that it doesn't work. The full Kiramager solves the dissonance problem, and preserves the mage as Toei intended. So which do you sacrifice? KirameiRed and Kirameiger for audial consistency? Or KiramaRed and Kiramager for the intended reference?

I'm not happy with it, but if you forced me to choose, I'd go with Kirama. It's clear what Toei is aiming for, and my argument otherwise "well it sounds bad and reads weird" doesn't hold that much water in the greater scheme.

Comedy answer: KiramageRed preserves the pun and the audial consistency. 8)

...I think the real discussion amongst the wider toku fandom is gonna be Mashin vs Machine. That's a slightly less clear pun, and harder to easily relate 1:1.

(Also can we talk about the "carat" pun too!? Gaaah!)
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Why not both? Kiramager for the title and Kiramei for when there's no g, like KirameiRed or Kiramei Stone? Fourth option~
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

They're clearly going for "mage", so I'm fine with "Kiramager". But "Kirama" is pronounced "Kiramei" because ... well, it is.

VerusMaya II wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 am
...I think the real discussion amongst the wider toku fandom is gonna be Mashin vs Machine. That's a slightly less clear pun, and harder to easily relate 1:1.
This reminds me of Go-onger, where we see "Engine" in English, but the title and mecha names all use "炎神". Ah, the wondrous world of translation and romanization
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Officially the shortened version is "Kiramai Red" etc. That's what they've been using on merch, with Kiramager for the team. I figure go with that, as it makes sense.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

HowlingSnail wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 am Officially the shortened version is "Kiramai Red" etc. That's what they've been using on merch, with Kiramager for the team. I figure go with that, as it makes sense.
Can I see pics of that in English?
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

I really don't have an opinion on this since I'm gonna watch it either way xD
hiro9796
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: TOQger, Kamen Rider Zero One, Keisatsu Sentai PatRanger VS Kaitou Sentai LupinRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Agito, W, Zero One
Dreamy: Sinon (SAO), Megumin (Konosuba)
Favorite Actor?: Endo Aya, Shimono Hiro
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Ah le le!

Now, count up your sins!

By the power vested in us by the Global Police, we will deal with you by force!

There's only one person who can stop you, me!
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by hiro9796 »

This is one of the most absurd topic to discuss in Super Sentai I encountered because the spelling and pronouciation does not match. But I go for the forth option
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

VerusMaya II wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:24 am I personally hate the cognitive dissonance between hearing ki-ra-me-i and reading kirama. Even if you use English vowel sounds and not Japanese, your first instinct is mah (like map) not meh (like mage).

But it's just for their personal titles and the Stones that it doesn't work. The full Kiramager solves the dissonance problem, and preserves the mage as Toei intended. So which do you sacrifice? KirameiRed and Kirameiger for audial consistency? Or KiramaRed and Kiramager for the intended reference?

I'm not happy with it, but if you forced me to choose, I'd go with Kirama. It's clear what Toei is aiming for, and my argument otherwise "well it sounds bad and reads weird" doesn't hold that much water in the greater scheme.
VerusMaya II is spot on. If I have to choose, it's Kirama, but the inconsistency antagonizes the language center of my brain. Which is why I voted for option #4.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:16 am
Lunagel wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:58 am Please note that xiiliea and I will be translating the series and have mostly settled on just using Kirama- for everything since it's derived from "mage"
My argument against this is that it sounds weird for it to be KiramaRed when it's not a "mah" sound, it's a "mei" sound. It's find for "mage" in Kiramager, but every other instance has it as Kiramei by itself. So it'll be translated as Kirama Stone, but sound like Kiramei Stone. It probably won't bother many people, but I dislike that sort of discordance.
I’m with take on this. If I hear Kirameiger and I see Kiramager then I pause for an instant as something does not feel right - then I recall the derivation from “mage”. Going with Kirameiger avoids this problem while the Kiramager spelling doesn’t add much anyway.
Behold the Emperor!
KRMonkey
Go Go!
Quote: ...dynamic chop!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by KRMonkey »

Looks like the poll's closed, but I'm in the Kiramei- camp. I'd only want "kirama" if I was actually hearing "kirama" and not "kiramei."

What's the official Romanized title? Kiramager or Kirameiger?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Official is Kiramager

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”