Kiramager Episode 02 released

MagiRanger Deux
Forum rules

Kiramager Wiki Link

< Ryusoul | Mashin Sentai Kiramager | Zenkai >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:09 pm

★★★★★
53%
★★★★
41%
★★★
6%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 17
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kiramager Episode 02 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Kiramager's rating: 4.12 / 5 (26 votes)

Alt Title: What, how did green not blow her hand off

I enjoyed this episode, but I have some issues with it. Let's start with the good stuff.

Loved the little details. Like the LupinRangers being made into a manga by LupinYellow's friend. Nice to see that callback.

The robo fight scene during the city night landscape looked really good! It really reminded me of DekaRanger Robo. The monster running around and tearing shit up was cool too.

I think yellow acting like a jealous bastard undermining Jyuuru as a leader was pretty effective. I mean, he had some good points

Which is why I don't like the solution to the Sena problem. It feels like the duplicate solution should have been a concept for a whole episode. Having it fill in for the like two minutes of transformation it takes Sena to run her race is ridiculous. If she can run that fast then why didn't she make it the first time?!

It also feels like a bad moral to teach kids? It's not necessarily good to teach them that you can have your cake and eat it too. Life is about making choices and giving up one thing or another, after all.

And I dislike how blue and pink run off for the mech fight. Is this how we're going to explain certain members being missing during this year's series?

I'm hoping for some good stories with the rangers feeling conflicted between their civilian life and ranger life though. So I'm pleased with that. Maybe the doll will show up again and have an arc of it being abused.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Kiramager Episode 02 released

Post by Catastrophe »

As someone who grew up in New Zealand, I did appreciate the Rugby Kajin. That early Heisei costume look is on point.

Pretty good episode. Have to agree that I don't really get the moral of the story with Green.

I wasn't overly miffed about Pink and Blue leaving. I mean, at the time they haven't experience the big monster comes after thing, I don't feel like it was a super hamfisted way to get Land Mage into a battle on its own. Also Sky Mage is tiny!

I do enjoy the Red/Yellow dynamic.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I think the excuse fits these are not just some random doctor, actor, runner, player or even some hidden ones lime M was they are literal face of their field and being that face is what empowers them as Kiramegers as yollowe pointed out noone can replace them in their field and as red pointed out if they are not the face of their field they wouldn't be able to pull out their true power.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

It's kind of a twisted moral but within the rules it is the desirable outcome since sparkling is what fuels their powers isn't it?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Is it? We know red has a kind of broken Green Lanternesque power. What about the others? Will green start shooting sparkles out of her butt when she runs if she feels more motivated? Guess we'll just have to see!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Wow, this series is so similar to a shoujo manga that they use a shoujo manga as plot device! Nice to see that they are doing their best to keep Umika relevant.

Sorry that I am such a horrible tokusatsu fan, but megazords are still bad style.

This is an odd series since only red really gets to blow off his day job.

I am still waiting for Red to do something that only a male character would do.
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I liked this episode a lot. Both the first episode and this one are very standard Sentai experiences, but they've been very enjoyable. This one has a leg up over the first due to giving our Red some moments to show that he has some wisdom along with all his sparkling inspiration (which he should, now that they've thrown the leader role to him!) and it was a dual-focus with Sena too.

I actually quite like the moral and how it subverted the typical expectation of having to make a sacrifice for the greater good. Obviously saving the world and whatnot is important, but having a group and watching each other's backs lets each of them still have the chance to follow their dream. Supporting one another's dreams is a better lesson than always being willing to give up said dreams, if you ask me.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

The lesson is a huge miss for me. What are they supposed to do if the villains manage to destroy the things that make them happy? I feel like this episode will haunt the rest of the series as the writers try to reconcile this with future plot developments.

I wonder if Japanese parents will complain about this. It is basically teaching little kids to prioritize what makes them happy at the expense of their responsibilities.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

BreadToku wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:38 pm I actually quite like the moral and how it subverted the typical expectation of having to make a sacrifice for the greater good.
I think the moral would be better if it had been implemented differently. If you can do both the things and they don't actually conflict with each other, it's not really that much of a choice to say "I'll just do both". I guess the problem is she chooses her racing career, but isn't punished or lose anything for making that decision.

Also, sloppy inferior doppelganger that doesn't technically do anything besides fool your friends is weird
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

the opening is SUPER MAGICAL GIRL! and really paints Red as the main character since its about his talent of drawing well.

semi disappointed, no kiramei ranger ball was used. Though be really hard to top the strongest battle one.

Glad we got Green in first spotlight episode, as i like her best. And while i DID see the whole, "they have to do what they do in order to sparkle because when you dont fulfill your dreams you become dull" thing coming, i didnt dislike it either because its the theme. i hope we see more of Daiyu Kun, the idea was pretty neat. predicting that the blue daimonds will make a team bazoka later on, and by predicting im hoping.

nice call back to Lupins, and we had Gekiranger throw back, so im curious if this will be a thing. but! its a good thing becuase it shows continuity within the world. maybe theyll have take out from genta's restaurant next time, and all like the curry but think the sushi is just ok. cant blame her friend for making LupinYellow the main in her manga, Umika was an instant in my female yellow harem. Chisato, Natsume, Luca, Jasmine, and Umika. yes. Ran and Yoko are ok too, but a bit too young looking especially Yoko. but the top 5, all had killer smiles and undeniable good looks, and all out shined their teams pinks. good job girls!

to make Kiramager at home just mix equal parts of Carranger, Magiranger and Sailormoon (can sub Cardcaptor Sakura if moon isnt your thing, and Sakura is more likable IMHO) and youll have insta-Kiramager!
HyouRetsuzan
Adventure

Post by HyouRetsuzan »

not episode related but, did they change their suit actors on dancing video? yellow is more energetic than red while red is uhhh.. dull? non-suit version dancing was more character fitting than the suit ver.
Vim Crony
7X
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mio
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: Polaris
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kiva and Comix

Post by Vim Crony »

I totally loved this episode! I see your points made here about Sena, but I think the moral that most resonates with me (especially since I do illustration as well) is that you're not going to truly "sparkle" unless you're fully able to be yourself without regret. Yes, in life we have to make difficult choices and maybe even some give up the dream in order to do the thing that is potentially more important. In this case it's saving the world. I do think that Sena (all of us) lose a step if we choose to not truly be ourselves. If she were just a vessel to protect the planet, something would be lost. Possibly even more lives than if she had just stayed with the group.

P.S. That transformation sequence and end pose were AMAZING.
relax23456
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gobus,Gaim,Deka,Geki
2nd Favorite Series: W,MagiGokai,Blade
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Stay hungry, stay foolish
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by relax23456 »

Yellow's reaction during the entire scene from when blue drawing the sword right in front of him and hime crying are hilarious.

And the end pose of the henshin, how long did the suit actors prep just to make that pose?!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It was a pretty sweet pose. I hope it's either the normal one or they just do outlandish ones every time.
Hanarka
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Hanarka »

Am I the only one seeing a lot of past Sentaï references ? I mean :
  • The rugby theme made me think of Goranger Hurricane
  • We already avec SCRTC going with Gekiranger
  • The Lupin manga
  • Sena going "Case complete" remind me of Deka and Shinken...
Is it me ?

Return to “Mashin Sentai Kiramager”