Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Versus Road- 11 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last week's rating: 4.27 / 5 (15 votes)

Alt Title: The big fight

I dunno, kind of predictable? I figured they'd try to redeem Kouzuki with some trauma in the past. Still, scene felt pretty brutal out of context. I feel like Nagumo got taken out pretty unceremoniously, although I wasn't expecting Azami to just be inside him. Just what exactly are her powers exactly?

Gee, I wonder if good guy Koun is going to kill a guy to satisfy the blood sport?

That cut to commercial break 6 minutesish in is how it was broadcast. I don't know if a dummy is editing these things or not, but they've been putting the cm breaks in the middle of the episode instead of after the opening sequence.
Xirix
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger

Re: Garo -Versus Road- 11 released

Post by Xirix »

Yeah I'm super bummed Nagusuke is dead, interestingly a viewer did suggest last episode that Azami had possessed him (something I didn't really think at all when I watched), so, good catch there!

Ah, the acting in this, christ. I cried when timing and I cried while QCing. So well done Versus Road. I still dunno 'exactly' how this is going to end, but I keep getting Jinga-esque vibes from this show, so I imagine probably not well, I'm sure Kuon will beat Amou, but then what... is this Veil thing going to awaken and just murder everyone?
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

I'm not sure what you mean by how Kouzuki was 'redeemed'?

He died a pitiful death against an opponent he could never defeat while crying for his mom to stop hitting him.

But yeah maybe what I like most about this episode might just be the fact that I honestly have not a clue what's going to happen next.
NPCEnergy
Favorite series: Fay-voo-ret? ....OOO?
2nd Favorite Series: I really liked Gekiranger?
Dreamy: My previous joke here didn't work with just the dreamy tag. Shame

Post by NPCEnergy »

I honestly was shocked to see I was right about Azami possessing him. I only thought that because at the very end of 10 the smirk he gave was very similar to hers. It was just a total shot in the dark with no precedence to support it.
lincolnmon
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: Love is like a candle in the darkness

Post by lincolnmon »

i always thought that it will turn out to be a zen thing in the end.

like the last two guys fighting each other but with no negative emotions.

and it frustrates the bad guys endlessly because Inga is not being formed.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

I think I understand now why no one among the original batch was able to wield Garo and that is because they struck a fellow human being and above all, their comrade. This goes back to the first Garo when Kouga says to the father of the serial killer turned horror that he will never struck him since a Makai Knight will only vanquish horrors and never humans.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Post by VerusMaya II »

Still... not sure what Kouzuki's deal is? I feel like I missed something. And the child abuse was completely out of nowhere. Honestly, it felt gratuitous for how long it went on. Episode should come with a trigger warning.

I like Amou more than Kuon, but Kuon's the protag so he'll win. Sad about Nagusuke too, he's definitely been the most heroic and proactive of the group. Kuon hasn't done much besides follow Hoshiai, then cry about Hoshiai. Secretly hoping that when Kuon wins, he uses le epic garo powerz to revive everyone :) :) :)

I don't think this can be satisfactorily resolved in one episode's time. They dawdled too long on the battle royale part, and we only just got any kind of backstory or plot in episode 9. Shame.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Kuon finally turns it on again and it turns out his friend wasn't overhyping him at all.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Still... not sure what Kouzuki's deal is? I feel like I missed something. And the child abuse was completely out of nowhere. Honestly, it felt gratuitous for how long it went on. Episode should come with a trigger warning.

Yeah for sure. It's like watching a serial killer bio and going "Oh, he's screwed up because he was abused as a kid... but that doesn't really excuse the messed up stuff he did as an adult sooooo..."

>I like Amou more than Kuon, but Kuon's the protag so he'll win. Sad about Nagusuke too, he's definitely been the most heroic and proactive of the group.

Haha, fair. Although, I don't think Kuon will kill Amou. They're probably going to team up and beat everyone else!

>I don't think this can be satisfactorily resolved in one episode's time. They dawdled too long on the battle royale part, and we only just got any kind of backstory or plot in episode 9. Shame.

I doubt it either. Which is too bad, a little more story and a little less filler would have been nice. Maybe if they had less characters or didn't start with 100? Or maybe combine Amou and Nagumo's character and ditch Kanata, who's a regularly despite us knowing nothing about him.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

This episode's alright.

Hoping the finale's awesome!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I get that they're pushing this as an all-new timeline, but I'm hoping it will turn out to be a bridge between the original timeline and the Ryuga-verse. So many aspects of the show feel like they could tie into the original timeline, and the "ultimate power" frequently alluded to could easily have something to do with the formation of world we see in the Ryuga-verse. After all, we still have that crossover which suggested an unspecified event in the past could have caused the timeline split.

As for this being only 12 episodes, I think the series isn't meant to be a complete story, but rather the backstory for either a movie or next year's series. It's pretty clear that in the VS timeline, the Makai are pretty much extinct, and this is why humans are being used for the new game. The fact that the Makai priests used their powers to create cybernetic implants for captured Horrors was a nice touch, since there's no way a human could survive an unmodified Horror encounter. The explanation in the flashback episode definitely filled in some concerns on that front. And the idea that the armour has somehow been corrupted when the last Garo failed, and that his own daughter is the main antagonist mean they could go in all sorts of new directions in this timeline.

My prediction for next episode is that Kuon will pass the test by refusing to kill and will instead attack the armour itself. The armour will respond and Kuon's noble intentions and he'll become the next Garo, leading to a final showdown with an incomplete Veil (which Azami will take for herself, killing Shosetsu now that he's no longer of use to her). When the battle ends, Kuon and Amo will both somehow gain Makai powers, making them the first of a new line of Makai knights. A movie or the next series will be an almost direct continuation, possibly with them meeting a surviving Makai priest. Their ultimate mission will be to tsomehow stop the recurring disaster that killed the previous Garo and infested Azami, since that's the planet-sized elephant in the room right now.

As mentioned, I'm hoping the new timeline will actually become the missing link in the other two continuities (I like to pretend the anime doesn't exist). If I could be on the writing staff, I'd reveal in a later series that Azami was Raiga's daughter. At some point after Kuon destroys her, a Makai priest sends him far into the past to fight the entity 500 years before Raiga's ill-fated showdown. The goal was to team up with the Garo of that time to put an end to the recurring disaster once and for all. The two armours merge into one during the big battle, and Kuon manages to defeat the entity at the cost of his own life. The armour loses its power, and because Kuon interfered with time, the Seijima family never inherited the armour, resulting in the Ryuga/Seijima timeline split.

Yeah, I know, that's a story that'll never happen. One could dream, though. I really don't want to see Garo become as convoluted as Star Trek or Transformers with almost every series starting a whole new, contradictory timeline, and this is now the fourth continuity in 15 years.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Actually, Ryuuga's story is supposed to happen around 2200.
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

Man, at the end of that episode I was screaming at Kuon to summon the fucking armour. As others have said, i'm getting more and more confident that this is the event that darkens the garo armour for the Ryuugaverse. Especially when you look at this episode showing the Garo armour as all black and corrupted... apart from the head above the mouth. My best guess is kuon summons the armour, fights AkibaBlue and dies heroically in a last ditch effort to defeat her, boom, Ryuugaverse timeline begins.

Also, the scene with Amou and Kouzuki was... intensely upsetting & hard to watch. I think i'm supposed to feel pity for the serial killer who murdered lots of people in front of us in vicious ways? Or that hey, even the "good" guys have to do some fucked up things to survive? i don't know. If it was thrown in purely for shock value, it worked.

Very much looking forward to next week's episode and seeing where they go with it. This show could very easily get dumpstered by it's ending, but if they pull it off it could be great.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.
Xirix
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger

Post by Xirix »

...Huh, she is AkibaBlue isn't she? It's been so long since I saw that I didn't notice.
darkarmorwearer
Gao
Favorite series: Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Yu Takahashi
Favorite Actor?: Cleavant Derricks
Favorite Band: REM
My boom: Tokusatsu Gagaga
Quote: Long, long ago! 20th century!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by darkarmorwearer »

Such a powerful episode! I'm really hyped to see how this all wraps up. If there were/are any more "behind the scenes" videos for this show, I'd love to see them. :-)

Return to “-Versus Road-”