3%

Total votes: 31
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Saber 02 released

Post by Lunagel »

midorininger wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm while the ant and grasshopper IS about working hard, perhaps in their world the tale is different? just for legal reasons. remember it was "Peter Fantasia" on the other book. so when they mention a book or story itll likely have elements from that book, but, will be different that what we know.
Aesop is all in public domain though. Peter Pan is not.
satoman
Gao
Favorite series: Danger 5
2nd Favorite Series: Zero-One
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: pumpkin seeds

Post by satoman »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43 amRaise hands everyone who wants to punch that fucking narrator.
Me me me \( •_•)_

"According to this book..." Doubt this amount of CGI will continue for the long run. Blue reminds me of Kiramager blue. Ok ep, better than first but still the 2nd one. Still don't have an opinion.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The narrator is a bit of an odd point. Woz worked because he was a character that was important. Who is this guy?
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:43 am In "The Ant(s) and the Grasshopper" the ants worked hard all summer while the grasshopper played and sang but then the ants were fine during the winter while the grasshopper went hungry. It's a parable to teach children that you shouldn't put off hard work because it will help you in the future. So where the FUCK were they getting shit about the grasshopper protecting the ants and then the queen making more ants and the queen glowing? Did we read different books? Were they in fact watching a bootleg A Bug's Life? For a show about loving books, they certainly don't know much about them.

The episode wasn't bad, but it sure was a plot dump. Not thrilled with everything happening so far, reminds me far too much of Ghost and I hated translating that series.

Raise hands everyone who wants to punch that fucking narrator.
Where do you live?
If you're from a western country then you won't really know that there are a lot of variation here in Asia about that story from country to country.
There's a version of the Grasshopper and the Ant where the Ant helped the Grasshopper to also teach kids the virtue of charity alongside hardwork.
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

MOAR bubbles FTW!!!!! Also, Rintaro's vehicle is literally the Gungoose from Halo 2 Anniversary with a wheel removed in the back and the remaining one is put in the middle to compensate xD
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Mighty Action X wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:50 pm Where do you live?
If you're from a western country then you won't really know that there are a lot of variation here in Asia about that story from country to country.
There's a version of the Grasshopper and the Ant where the Ant helped the Grasshopper to also teach kids the virtue of charity alongside hardwork.
Yes, but the OG version attributed to Aesop would be what they should be referencing, given it's a show about books.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Toei made a mistake at 18:09 of the show. In the Jack-kun book behind Saber, the right page is not Jack-kun's but Lion Senki's. Oops.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Episode number two certainly wasn't number two, but it still had a lot of flaws.

I kind of like the fact that Rintaro addressed the "Rider for a day, master in a minute" trope. Writers just don't have the guts to make the hero figure everything out like Kuuga did. The monsters had me looking around for Kabuto to show up, but no such luck. Mei was toned down a LOT this episode, but I can see where she's still way too much for a lot of people.

Hey, Lunagel, if you decide to play kill the messenger with that stupid narrator, I think pretty much all of us are on board. We've had so many great narrators over the years, why do we need a clown on an acid trip this year?

While the CGI was definitely toned down and the story done better (for some reason the first battle felt a lot like Ex-Aid with Mei there), it still was far too cartoony. The vehicle scene was meh, although the concept itself wasn't too bad. They just went overboard on the cartooniness. And this is the first year since at least Gain (with the exception of Drive) where I didn't love the opening theme. The tempo really felt like it was telling me not to bother watching. And we had another Super Sentai end credits dance to suck up even more story time. I'm thankful vomit-san pointed out that was supposed to be a flying carpet, because I could swear it was a leftover prop from this week's Star Trek: Lower Decks episode.

Sticking with the 4/5 on this one. There are way too many Super Sentai hallmarks and still too much cheap CGI for a Kamen Rider series, but there were definite improvements over the pilot. I just hope they change direction and give us more of a Rider feel by episode 10, but I fear they'll instead go down the rabbit hole and this'll end up with Hibiki, Drive, and Ghost as one of the four worst KR series to date. So far, this lack of understanding which toku franchise they're making is extremely off-putting. I can't even blame the fact that we haven't had a proper solo Rider in years, because previous+multiple-Riders-from-the-door series still remembered that multiple Riders work together against common foes but aren't an official team and often have very different goals (Zero-One was just a couple weeks ago!).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Ashki wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 am Hey, Lunagel, if you decide to play kill the messenger with that stupid narrator, I think pretty much all of us are on board. We've had so many great narrators over the years, why do we need a clown on an acid trip this year?
I'm assuming it's because it fills up two minutes of the run time that Toei can save on writing and special effects. Add in an ending sequence and the run time is padded to all heck
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:28 am
Ashki wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:46 am Hey, Lunagel, if you decide to play kill the messenger with that stupid narrator, I think pretty much all of us are on board. We've had so many great narrators over the years, why do we need a clown on an acid trip this year?
I'm assuming it's because it fills up two minutes of the run time that Toei can save on writing and special effects. Add in an ending sequence and the run time is padded to all heck
Therein lies the problem. Minus ed/dumb narrator, there's probably what, 2 or 3 whole minutes less content than Zero One per episode? For a show that's 23 minutes total when you discount the commercials, that's almost 10% of the runtime.

This could just be me/the fact that we're only 2 eps in, but it seems like the fight scenes are longer than normal as well? Anyone else get that feeling?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

oh yeah on the CG note, it did bother me that when Saber slid under the truck, his legs stayed in play and the bike just went back upright while his legs stayed in place. i think for that slide to have worked a foot should have been on the ground? it just looked unnatural to me.
And yes, kill, kill, the narrator. instead replace him with Chu-chu from Revolutionary Girl Utena! because reasons!
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I feel like any attempts at padding could be because of filming restrictions at the moment. Tassel's narration just has him sat in a room on his own, and obviously the ending is a minute of footage every week that they don't need to film.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

I gotta give this one a three, I think I'm letting the CGI get to me too much. I know that they're using Unreal 4, and it looks good by video game standards. Unfortunately, it doesn't look to good from a love action series standpoint.
Mei is still annoying, I really hope she gets better. I like Rentarou, though I felt like he gave up on getting the dragon book too easily. His suit is alright, though the lion head takes points off. The giant CGI lion looked a lot better than the small one.
I like the way the secondary books are used. W is one of my favorite Rider designs, so I'll gladly accept more like it. Here's hoping the rest of the riders look just as good.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

midorininger wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm
so since this is my first KR am i correct in assuming, with KR (from sentai crossovers) that Kr are part of larger organizations but fight more or less solo? and im guessing too that unlike Sentai they dont cheesily wear their respective color or the same outfit daily? or am i wrong?
Not necessarily. There are usually organizations in the series, but the main Riders don't necessarily are a part of it. They tend to fight solo, but teaming up with other riders (the secondary riders, like the lion guy) are very common.

midorininger wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm kinda interesting how only half the costume changes ala Ryusoulger. but their powers leave so much to question, like what does volume 2 do? is it an attack? a new form? will there be a 3? im so intrigued! and what happens if they share a books?
It's a new form. Although, in Sentai we rarely see a power-up/new form during the series, in Kamen Rider, there are many (sometimes too many for me). In Saber's specific case, they gave him a new form in episode 2! This tells me that this will be one of those series in which the main guy gets tons and tons of new forms all the time! So much that you loose track of them! Another similar example was KR Ex-Aid. The just finished Zero-One was a bit more conservative in this desire to sell toys, that's one of the things I liked about the series.

And yeah, that intro guy sucks... I wonder what producer/script writer had that amazing ideia!
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:43 pm
midorininger wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 pm while the ant and grasshopper IS about working hard, perhaps in their world the tale is different? just for legal reasons. remember it was "Peter Fantasia" on the other book. so when they mention a book or story itll likely have elements from that book, but, will be different that what we know.
Aesop is all in public domain though. Peter Pan is not.
I do believe Peter Pan is public domain

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”