Re: KR Saber 03 released

Post by takenoko »

Tassel is Touma from the future recollecting his life at the end
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I'd hated to think what happens in the story to make him into an Alice in Wonderland character knockoff.
Zerato
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger
Favorite Band: Starset
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: The guy who will bring about the end of the world...unless you give me a sandwich.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Zerato »

Seeing that Galactic Railroad fantasy at the beginning just reminded me that Act-Age was cancelled. And now I feel sad again.
CaptainTalon449 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm I do have to say one thing. Watching Saber is like going to book club but your book club also LARPs in their spare time
That sounds like something I'd enjoy immensely.
KR
Seen: Kuuga, Agito, 555-Ex-Aid; Amazons
Dropped: Build, Saber
Now: Ryuki, Gotchard
Fave: Drive

SS
Seen: Jetman, Dekaranger, Boukenger-Zyuohger; Akibaranger
Dropped:: Kyuranger, Kiramager
Now: King-Ohger
Fave: Kyoryuger
Cross
Go Go!

Post by Cross »

Buster's head kinda reminds me of one of den-o form I think
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Yeah, this is turning into Kamen Sentai really fast. The new guy having the childhood friend angle being pushed was another flag for that, though throwing in the "old veteran doesn't like strange new guy" trope in right away too makes the whole episode feel like halves of two other episodes stitched together. The pacing is all over the place and that creepy narrator is still hogging so much time in the episodes with recapping things that it definitely feels padded and aimed more towards younger kids with shorter attention spans.

Seeing Rentarou's use of the book forms shows at least a slightly creative aspect in that the book placement on the belt represents even how the base form will manifest, making me wonder whether the placement of the books will affect anything for the mixed forms. Like if Touma uses Brave Dragon in the middle slot rather than the right slot, does it affect anything in his abilities? And then adding other books in different orders, does it give different powers? I highly doubt they'll do anything that deep, but it's a creative idea if nothing else.

I'm trying to avoid judging the whole season early, but it's already feeling weaker than Zero One at least, even without taking into account all the Sentai-fication they're heaping onto it.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:09 am The pacing is all over the place.
I don't even think that this is the problem. I think the pacing is good. The problem was putting Touma and the childhood friend to interact in an episode that was clearly aimed elsewhere. So, like you said, feels like two episodes stitched together.
Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:09 am that creepy narrator
Boy, I wonder how can someone put such a creepy androgynous guy in a kid's show. This would never fly in western media. Japan is really another world (maybe that's why we love it so much).
Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:09 am this is turning into Kamen Sentai really fast
People keep on saying this. What exactly do you see that is inspired by Sentai? I can see the ending dance, and maybe a more collective work. Other than that, I don't see much of it, but maybe I'm being blind.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Because they're leaning into the different coloured protagonists vs a cabal of antagonists that all have a turn making a monster of the week with a relatively light tone.

If that doesn't scream sentai-like to you, I don't know what will.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

Catastrophe wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:52 pm Because they're leaning into the different coloured protagonists vs a cabal of antagonists that all have a turn making a monster of the week with a relatively light tone.

If that doesn't scream sentai-like to you, I don't know what will.
The colors, the team work and the bad guys taking turns into creating the week's monster. I see, I see... I guess it makes sense...
sdsichero

Post by sdsichero »

Catastrophe wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:31 pm Buster Dads kid isn't going to tag along because the Dad is clearly going to die early.

This episode was a bit messy. They introduce the friend, who I assume is the Yellow Rider in the credits, but Buster is the new one introduced this episode. He's introduced as being jolly, but is an ass to Saber before his kid goes missing.
Yeah I found that weird too. Thought that they would focus on his friend, or if not, at least have a cleaner transition to a different focus.

I thought the dad rider would be cool, and his costume looks pretty good, but I found him to be kind of an unlikable asshole.

Still, not a terrible episode. The fight with Touma and Rintaro was kind of fun.
Aeikozz
Faiz
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Smart Brain Lady
Favorite Band: Bennie K
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Aeikozz »

Ya'll are having way to much fun with these fonts this season.
that's not nesscerally a bad thing.

^_^
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

Catastrophe wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:25 pm I'd hated to think what happens in the story to make him into an Alice in Wonderland character knockoff.
Too many nights of bad decisions and sake?
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

Tokyo wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:51 pm Boy, I wonder how can someone put such a creepy androgynous guy in a kid's show. This would never fly in western media. Japan is really another world (maybe that's why we love it so much).
I dunno, seems par for the course... KR Bravo in Gaim, and the donut truck owner in Wizard (haven't watched it, so I dont know her name) come to mind.

But yes, those types of characters would never fly in the West. Even if kids didn't mind some parents would be outraged. My son thought Bravo was a hilarious badass and got the joke.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, it's hard to talk about. I don't want to make fun of the guy too hard for having an aesthetic that goes against the norm (Apparently he goes by Les Romanesquestobi), but it feels like the character is written in a way to be annoying to the viewer?

Bravo is awesome and an amazing badass and Donut Lady felt fine to me, but I don't feel qualified to quantify what makes them different
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown

Post by Kurokage X »

We get some glimmer of intrigue from Kento about his relation with more purple genm AKA Calibur and we get the big man Ryo whose also a dad. I don't see this ending well for Ryo.

I got nothing else for this episode aside from maybe it's a bit too fast on we get a new character and then suddenly we get two more
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown

Post by Kurokage X »

As for the Tassel manner, I don't think they wanted him to be an annoyance. He's certainly colorful compared to everyone in this series. I guess that he's suppose to be part child audience surrogate and part narrator but I got nothing else on what seems off with him.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”