My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 03 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Episode 1's ratings: 3.24 /5 stars (42 votes)
Last Week's rating: 3.73 /5 stars (30 votes)

Fan Sub-title: Lone Wolf and Cub wants their book back

Felt like this episode slid back a bit in quality for me. Instead of focusing on the relationship between Touma, Rintarou, and Mei, we've got a new knight who's a dad, and a childhood friend. Neither of which we get to know very well before we get into a story about needing to save the kid
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Saber 03 released

Post by VerusMaya II »

This does feel like the wrong time to introduce Dad Rider. This should've either focused on Touma, Mei, and Rintarou, or focused on Kento who has a clear connection to Touma.

But, for what it was, it wasn't a bad episode. I dig Buster's suit and sword a lot. I hate kids so I hope he's not tagging along at Buster's heels for the rest of the show. Kinda makes situations difficult anyway. Is Toei going to repeatedly endanger a child? Hmm.

Noticed the excuse that "once an alter book is made, the monster can be brought back" - great for suit reusage lmao
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Buster Dads kid isn't going to tag along because the Dad is clearly going to die early.

This episode was a bit messy. They introduce the friend, who I assume is the Yellow Rider in the credits, but Buster is the new one introduced this episode. He's introduced as being jolly, but is an ass to Saber before his kid goes missing.

Also, who was that other random dude in the book base? He just turns up, has a line without a proper introduction and then just fucks off.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

It's like they'd cut the original episode 3 and 4 to half and swapped it so that it will look less episodic.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I hope this doesn't mean that this is going to be another sausage fest super sentai season. Not only have they not allowed Mei to Book Up yet into Kamen Rider Pink, they introduce a weird sentai that doesn't seem to have a clear color. The line on his visor is orange, the eyes are gold, but the book is yellow? What a mess. Also, why wasn't he added to the closing theme dance? And, clearly magic carpet ride guy is going to be a rider, why is he not in the ending dance as well?

Also, is this sentai support team in the magic library supposed to be a reverse harem for the lady in white? Does she sit around writing yaoi fan fics all day?

Will Blue and Orange/Gold/Yellow have an episode where they get stuck together?

Finally, they need to have some sort of restaurant or sweets place where they can chill and team bond. If everyone just does their own thing without team work people will confuse this show with Kamen Rider.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The obvious reason he isn't in the dance is because he's going to go early. I don't follow pre-release stuff, but I do remember hearing that Saber was going to have a lot of riders. He's my obvious pick for Christmas time slaughter.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I was tempted to give this episode a 5 because a lot of things improved, but I'm holding to 4 because a lot of the flaws are still there *cough*Tassel*cough*

For the 16 or so minutes of show we had, I'm glad this is a two-parter. True, we have two new Riders we know nothing about, but I agree that King Dad is going to die early in the show, perhaps when Calibur finally makes his first move. In fact, it now seems apparent that Calibur's motive is to flush out all the other Riders so he can take them out quickly, while letting his minions build their library of Alter Books if the Riders fail. Enter he's not, but I can go along with that plan.

I think the big reason they introduced the friend this episode was simply to bring a little more weight to the disappearance of the girl when Saver saved young Toma.

My girl was on point this episode. The acting was much calmer and her reactions fit the scenes. About the most over-the-top moment was with the eclaires, and I still felt it believable, since it was hinted last episode she bought them for a purpose.

I love the excuse for reusing suits. It's been a while since we had a logical recurring MotW, and it adds lore to the show, which we're still sorely lacking much of.

Tassel was annoying like only Tassel can be, but at least the effects were toned down this episode (with the exception of book usage... did anyone time how much of he show was just them using their wonder books?) and I liked how the monster stole a piece of forest, then kidnapped people to populate it, matching his animal theme as opposed to the stone golem themed monster stealing a piece of city. Hopefully this means the third monster type will target regions matching its design as well.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
BreadToku
Gabu

Post by BreadToku »

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing death flags all around Buster.

This episode is pretty strangely-paced. I'm used to early episodes going by fast, but usually a way that makes sense. Like how the first several episodes of Ex-Aid each dedicate themselves to introducing and establishing characters one by one. This episode has the strange approach of giving our first glimpse to several different characters at once, presumably with the intent of fleshing them out later. That seems more like an episode 1 thing to do than episode 3!

Weirdness aside, it was alright. Despite being the new toy introduced, Buster is featured fairly lightly in favour of the new Peter Fatansia book. I like Buster's heavy duty design quite a bit though, and his super-sized sword! It's DX toy is almost the size of a regular sword.
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

Something about the acting doesn't sit well with me. Or is it the script? Or both?

And 3 eps in and I realized the opening song is soo bad. Maybe the song genre isn't usually used in rider series?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i kind of didnt mind buster dad, as i figured with other swordsmen theyd come and show up like cameos or something, while focusing on a smaller cast. he reminded me of play maker from YGO Vrains when he appeared as he did a 3 count of reasons he was about to defeat the MotW.

Not sure how i feel about the compatible/non-compatible books. while limits can open new flood gates, its almost suggesting a rock/paper/scissors system, which please leave out of shows NOT based on games.

im guessing Touma using the peter book was a gag to suggest wire flying in plays? and interesting that it uses the villains main weapon, a hook, rather than enabling flight.
Tokyo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dengeki Sentai Changeman
2nd Favorite Series: Juspion
Dreamy: Kiramei Pink (Kiramager)
My boom: The official, yet 100% Brazilian, Juspion manga that came out.

Post by Tokyo »

This series is starting to grow on me. We finally see Touma being through some struggles as a character (wanting to find the kid, wanting to learn how to fight...). This struggle was lacking when he first decided to become a Rider!

I don't think introducing Touma's friend now was a bad ideia per se. The problem was having they meet in this episode. Because there was no time for them to act properly as you would when u find a childhood friend in a just-discovered fantasy world. So the interaction between characters there was weird, and there was not enough time to viewers digest the information.

The big plot is promising, though. We can already see some relationship between Touma's friend and the main villain, also Touma's struggle to fit in the new group, and so on. Lots of tensions to be worked out there.

I JUST LOVE the daddy rider. For several reasons. First and foremost, he's a badass! The fact that he has a child is very cool! I don't remember ever seeing this in a Tokusatsu series before. And nowadays, franchised Tokusatsu are such a 'ready-to-go' recipe that it is good to see something different for a change. His armor is also very cool!
FUN FACT: the suit actor for daddy rider is the same who did the suit action for Kamen Rider Black (1987) and Kamen Rider Black RX (1988).

About Tassel... yeah, he's annoying as f***! How can such a creepy looking guy be portrayed in a kid's show, anyway? If he does not end up being a real character who inhabits the fantasy world and knows everything about Touma for some reason, he'll be not only annoying and creepy, but extremely useless!

I'll give this episode a 4 out of 5.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

midorininger wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:26 am Not sure how i feel about the compatible/non-compatible books. while limits can open new flood gates, its almost suggesting a rock/paper/scissors system, which please leave out of shows NOT based on games.
I don't think it was a case of being non-compatible so much as a poor fit. We do have three different categories/genres of Wonder Book, but at the same time, Peter Pan is about pirates, so it makes sense that it would be more compatible with a water element Rider than a fire-based one.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing characters mix and match books more as time goes by, but for now, it's a great way to emphasese that some people excel in certain things (or prefer certain genres) while not telling kids "you can only do what you're good at". If the PF book was truly incompatible, I would have expected a read error when Tōma tried to use it (a plot device which has been done before in KR series).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
CaptainTalon449
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "This is our stage" -Kazuraba Kouta
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by CaptainTalon449 »

I do have to say one thing. Watching Saber is like going to book club but your book club also LARPs in their spare time
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

CaptainTalon449 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm I do have to say one thing. Watching Saber is like going to book club but your book club also LARPs in their spare time
More like LARPs DURING book club IMO :D

Curious about Tassel... There has to be a point to that character down the road, not just as an odd narrator.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

You'd think so.

He reminds me of a human form of a Sentai monster from the early 90s;

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”