My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 04 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Episode 2's ratings: 3.73 /5 stars (30 votes)
Last Week's rating: Waiting for more votes /5 stars ( votes)

Fan Sub-title:
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: KR Saber 04 released

Post by VerusMaya II »

Man, Dad Rider has anger issues.

Touma: "I promise I will keep my promise." bruh

Mei doin' more work here than the actual Riders. I really like her so far...

What the heck was with Buster's sword prop at ~11:25!? And for all the rest of his fight with Desast too... It's paper-thin and looks awful! I can only guess this scene was a victim of their new filming rules that limit the number of takes they're allowed to do now... :/

Just realized the Wonder Ride Book seiyuu is Akio Ohtsuka. That explains why it talks forever. If you had Ohtsuka-san doing work for you, you'd milk it too!

CLOTHESLINED BY A SWOLE FAIRY. Saber good actually.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Bit of trivia, the monster is named Hanzaki because in Japanese that means "ripped in half", due to the belief that it can regenerate itself even from such a state
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Did anyone else think the ending seemed a bit strange? It felt like they should have ended the episode with Calibur approaching, but the editing of the rest of it felt out of place.
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Alright, which one of you is responsible for the travesty of having to hear Tassel call Buster Dad THICC?! @___@;

Mei actually got a useful role in the plot, but that aside, the whole thing felt oddly rushed. We're on a fast track to Form Replacement Fatigue again already too, sprinting through the tiers of power this fast. The bit with Calibur feels like it should have been the cliffhanger instead of such a rushed encounter wrapped up as fast as it began. That and now we have a new mid-tier level rival appear with Desast, I expect he'll be showing up to challenge Touma any minute now because that's what always happens to Reds in a Sentai with these kinds of characters.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Was the fairy Saiki Reika, one half of Deadlift Lolita (with Ladybeard)? (Come to think of it, why hasn't Ladybeard been a Kamen Rider villain?)

Now that Mei has proven that she has a clue, how long before she becomes Literary Sentai Logosger Pink?

If this show was a Kamen Rider, then the Mei character would turn out to be someone's sister, but there doesn't seem to be any threat of that since she only knew Red before the start of the show and she is his regular job boss.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Dante ShadowRoadz wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:57 pm Alright, which one of you is responsible for the travesty of having to hear Tassel call Buster Dad THICC?! @___@;
That's all me man. It's really the most fitting phrasing for what he's saying though. If it's any consolation, luna tried very hard to talk me out of it
resop2 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:31 pm Was the fairy Saiki Reika, one half of Deadlift Lolita (with Ladybeard)? (Come to think of it, why hasn't Ladybeard been a Kamen Rider villain?)
Bingo! If you're ever curious about a guest, just check our wiki. I link it at the top of each thread:
https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Rid ... _04#Guests
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

Much better that the first 3 episodes. In this episode, the sequence of the show is finally established. The way Touma would do research among his books to find answer how to defeat the monster of the week kind of reminds my favorite American tv show, Grimm, where Nick Burkhardt, when he encounter Wesens in his job as cop and identity as a Grimm will rely to the records of his ancestors for answers. With this feature alone I'm already more hooked onto this show than before. Hopefully, they'll keep that.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Still a lot of huge flaws due to the limits on filming... and Tassel, but I thing this one earned the first 5 out of me.

Takenoko's usage of THICC feel very dated a this point (a lot of Millennial-speak is finally becoming niche), but the cringe factor of having Tassel say it fit extremely well. I wouldn't be surprised if Tassel later calls someone "bae" and acts like it's a compliment. Pure nightmare fuel between the creepy predator look of the character and usage of kids' terminology, so I have to side with Taka on this one.

Mei-chan is really starting to prove herself. The "silly girl" gags seem to be toning down into "she just has ADHD" or something similar, and her actions this episode prove she's more than just a beautiful face. Thinking to bring fireworks as a distress flare and use the book to find the missing people wasn't simply brave, it was a stroke of genius most characters (especially female ones) in KR wouldn't have come up with. I really hope she continues to evolve into a strong support role for the Riders.

The faerie was a nice touch.

Hopefully, we'll get to see the weakness from using three books have some consequences beyond simply stumbling. All the way back to Kuuga with the third instance of changing forms (Black's gloves TECHNICALLY count as the first), there has been a consequence to using alternate forms. Kuuga did it best because they tried for realism, but it's always a welcome trope when a Rider pushes too hard too fast and it tears him up. Of course, they like to "forget" these inconveniences a few episodes later, but it's still better than unlimited power.

I love the detective work done this episode. A writer who loves books digging through his library to identify the monster is such an obvious touch, which is why I'm surprised the actually did it. It works well for introducing the viewer to new books as well as providing logical clues that someone might figure out in real life. It kind of makes me wonder how many people will actually go try to figure out the MotW on their own between multi-part episodes. If that's the writers' intent, that really earns some bonus points from me.

Papa didn't die, but I'm wondering if perhaps we'll have something of a rotating staff this season to help reduce exposure. You have a couple major players present every episode, but supporting Riders pop in for a few episodes, then move on to their own missions, popping back here and there to remind us they exist. I could easily see us having half a dozen Riders if only three are main cast and the rest appear sporadically.

I'm beginning to think a large number of shots with our Boy Band Baddies were done all in one go. They only appear for a minute or two each episode, always in the same room, and while they obviously have a purpose, it was probably safest to film all of their scenes for a dozen or so episodes at one go. The extended henshin scenes and Tassel could all be done in an afternoon with one actor available at a time. And the suit actors have the best protection, so despite limits on retakes to protect the crew, these guys can fight for long periods at minimal risk.

This would be an interesting series to get a Making Of video for, since a lot of what we see (and complain about) probably has to do with a lot of behind-the-scenes negotiating due to the pandemic. The sudden restrictions really cut into Zero-One and Kiramager, but they went into this show knowing there'd be limitations. I think we'd all have a lot more appreciation for the show if there was an accompanying documentary to explain to people watching both now and in future why this show had to be done so differently.

As I said, there were flaws, so I'd give it probably a 4.8, MAYBE a 4.9, rounded up for the poll options.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Takenoko's usage of THICC feel very dated a this point (a lot of Millennial-speak is finally becoming niche), but the cringe factor of having Tassel say it fit extremely well. I wouldn't be surprised if Tassel later calls someone "bae" and acts like it's a compliment. Pure nightmare fuel between the creepy predator look of the character and usage of kids' terminology, so I have to side with Taka on this one.

Thanks!

>I love the detective work done this episode. A writer who loves books digging through his library to identify the monster is such an obvious touch

I'm up for it too. Any time a hero uses knowledge to overcome a problem or to supplement their physical prowess is a bonus. And also let's show off the power of books!
bluegreen
Infinity

Post by bluegreen »

Are you sure they are saying "Peter Fan"? "Peter Pan" seems more apt.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

bluegreen wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:09 am Are you sure they are saying "Peter Fan"? "Peter Pan" seems more apt.
Peter Pan is licensed. It's Peter Fan because it's short for Peter Fantasista
WannaFantaMan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Legends of Tomorrow
2nd Favorite Series: Boku no Hero Academia
Dreamy: I have too many to list xD
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Conroy
Favorite Band: Hanson
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Fallout 4 and Elden Ring
Quote: AH, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!! My mortal enemy!
Type: ESFJ Provider

Post by WannaFantaMan »

Anyone else notice what I think is part of the production crew or something along those lines at 13:44? I had to slow the playback speed a bit to be sure but you can CLEARLY see something in the background that maybe wasn't suppose to be there. As for the episode itself, I'm giving it a perfect score because that finisher with buff kawaii Tinker Bell was so "WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?!?!?!?" that it made Kiramager look tame IMO xD
YuushaEX
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Shinobi
Favorite Actor?: guy who plays dan kuroto
Favorite Band: The Primals
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Final Fantasy
Quote: See you next game
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by YuushaEX »

i'm not really too keen on the this series maybe because covid was going on around during production time of the series and it feels a bit less lack luster than zero-one. i feel it's a bit more gimicky as the wonder ride tools just say too much stuff. that female lead really annoys the hell out of me just way to over the top. still i'll watch it through since i've gone off super sentai. still at least we can count on shinobi next year right?
Transform your life into the best it can be!
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

I think it was pretty much retconned when Oma Zi-O rewrote the timeline in the final. But Shougo also created Zero-One during the movie, so before the retcon, soit's not really impossible.

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”