My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Saber 27 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Last Week's rating: 4.67 /5 stars (18 votes)

Just an okay episode for me. There's nothing bad about it, but it just didn't have that extra something that made the last two episodes feel especially good

For one thing, the resolution with the child isn't very interesting. With all the build up, I was hoping for more than a hug and "Sorry you and your family are dead, kid. But the wind and sky can be your friends." Also, Touma is an empathetic character. He shouldn't need to find another kid without his parents to figure out "Oh, you're lonely. Duh"

Also, now Saber has all the elemental powers of the swordsmen because of that. What??? Not a fan of power-ups that make whole other characters become redundant. That said, the fight was pretty cool

...but not cool enough to kill off one of the main antagonists of the series. To be fair, this is what happens when you spend over half the series not giving ANY characterization to the bad guys. So at this point, all you can do is try to cram it all in this episode, which of course comes off as half-hearted. But I've seen other series pull a last minute one-episode character redemptions, so it is possible...

/me slaps his head. Why didn't they do super hero time this week now that they finally introduced the Elemental Dragon form?

Anyway, this is just a list of nitpicks. The episode is decent and the scene of Rintarou defending Touma is probably the best (maybe only?) character moment in this one

Did you notice that there was no narration the last episode or this one? Looks like Tassel is a full character now. In fact, his last narration was two episodes at the beginning. He doesn't say anything after Kento returns
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: KR Saber 27 released

Post by Mighty Action X »

takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:41 pm For one thing, the resolution with the child isn't very interesting. With all the build up, I was hoping for more than a hug and "Sorry you and your family are dead, kid. But the wind and sky can be your friends." Also, Touma is an empathetic character. He shouldn't need to find another kid without his parents to figure out "Oh, you're lonely. Duh"
Actually, it's not just that. It foreshadowed here that Touma seems to have the power to rewrite a story and by extension, reality.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

This episode smells of "Okay, let's get the new form out the way."

First thing that came to mind when Primitive Dragon told it's back story was Fire Emblem (at least it made me think of The Sacred Stones opening anyway.)

Second, much like Takenoko, I was expecting something more from Touma when it came to resolving the book's loneliness. If they had gone more in depth on the nature aspect ("Your friends bodies may have perished, but their spirits live on in nature/the world around you,") then both the resolution and the power up would make more sense.

Then we have Elemental Dragon as a power up.
I'm just gonna say it; out of all the form changes I've seen in Kamen Rider, this one was the most disappointing. It feels like the writers wrote themselves into a corner when deciding how to handle this one. Again, there just wasn't a clear enough connection between nature and Touma to drive the point home. If Primitive Dragon had taken the other WonderRide book's from Ren and drew power from Ikazuchi, then the sudden use of water, wind, and lighting would've made more sense. Instead it...well it just feels 'there for the sake of it,' you know?

Last minor nitpick, the fight with Legeiel. I realize how dumb this is going to sound, especially as someone who has spent years watching tokusatsu and loves high flying wrestlers like Ricochet and Will Osprey, but the flips just took me out of the fight. It just made 0 sense as to why an energy attack would cause Legeiel to spin vertically like that.

Overall lackluster episode, especially when compared to the previous two.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Mighty Action X wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:26 am
takenoko wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:41 pm For one thing, the resolution with the child isn't very interesting. With all the build up, I was hoping for more than a hug and "Sorry you and your family are dead, kid. But the wind and sky can be your friends." Also, Touma is an empathetic character. He shouldn't need to find another kid without his parents to figure out "Oh, you're lonely. Duh"
Actually, it's not just that. It foreshadowed here that Touma seems to have the power to rewrite a story and by extension, reality.
What if... now here me out... what if this series ends with the hero rewriting the world or merging it, or some other nonsensical thing with parallel worlds

Or what if this series ended with the story just being a dream in a child's mind the whole time... and Touma is that child!
Hero99
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Zero-One
Favorite Band: Veltpunch
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by Hero99 »

I agree that this episode felt a little worse than the last one, but I really only had like one problem with it and that was the thing with the lost kid lol. The way they showed Touma brute forcing his way towards the dragon, I thought it would've been something like him showing that he would be there for the dragon no matter how many times he's pushed away. But a lost child is all it took.

If the whole "rewriting" thing does become a big thing, I feel like it would just steal the ending from Build (but with less science).
AlternateTrigger
7X

Post by AlternateTrigger »

OMG Touma finally met Tassel. I've been waiting for this moment. Also, I'm secretly hoping Tassel gets the Mist blade at some point and transforms. Drag Queen Kamen Rider. I love it.
CheetahLynx
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Engine Sentai Go-Onger

Post by CheetahLynx »

Somehow Tassel is way less annoying as a character than as a narrator, so that's good. Also, I can't believe Tassel is a character now.
CheetahLynx
I was gonna list all the series I've watched but there's a 255 character limit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well.
deuxcolors
Adventure
Favorite series: KR Build
2nd Favorite Series: Zero One
Dreamy: Almost everyone is too damned pretty
My boom: Tokusatsu, Voice Acting
Quote: We are all fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
Type: INTP Architect
Instagram: deuxcolors

Post by deuxcolors »

Damn... And here I am really liking this episode.
It worked for me I guess, flaws and all.

I've said before, the basic premise of this season is great "Knights get powers from magic books" at least we are getting story that works and isn't boring.
Yes, there are going to be way too many forms and toys, that's for certain, but at least they look really cool.

All and all I'm happy, and this is much better than how it started.

EDIT: Did Tassel do a 4th wall break when Legend had the flashback?
msf232
Faiz
Dreamy: 민지여신
Favorite Band: Dreamcatcher
My boom: Nothing definite, changes from time to time
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by msf232 »

Interesting how one of the main villains got destroyed so early in the series. Makes me wonder if the same thing is going to happen to Zooous very soon.
Finished:
Dairanger, Shinkenger, Kyoryuger–キングオージャー
Kuuga–Geats
Nexus, R/B
Ryukendo, Rescue Force
スパイダーマン
CH THE LIVE
Akibaranger, Akiba S痛
Wakusaver S2, Jyuukaizar
CPH GandD
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

Like most, I thought the whole "hug the boy" thing was lame and extremely cliche. That was probably the biggest flaw in the episode.

Kamen Sentai Red is now Kamen Big One. Yay, I guess.

I was also annoyed that they hinted that Tooma redeemed Legiel when he killed him. A single attack shouldn't negate thousands of years of soul corruption and a powerup that supposedly there's no return from.

One thing I did find kind of interesting: It's true Tassel hasn't narrated for a couple episodes, but he actually stopped when Master Logos made him vanish. I have this feeling Tassel's trapped in another dimension and that's why we saw him in a vision but he's been pretty much absent otherwise. It also seems very possible his narrations were relaying information to Master Logos or will otherwise be explained away pretty soon.
takenoko wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 am What if... now here me out... what if this series ends with the hero rewriting the world or merging it, or some other nonsensical thing with parallel worlds
That didn't work out very well for Ryuki. I could see them doing it Gaim-style, though (if I'm not giving too much credit).
takenoko wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:39 am Or what if this series ended with the story just being a dream in a child's mind the whole time... and Touma is that child!
Sadly, the ToQger route is very possible considering the writer. However, I could also see it being a Build ending where this is all actually Tooma's new book and he's reading it to an audience. They did mention earlier in the show that he wanted to write a book about their adventures, after all.
msf232 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:56 pm Interesting how one of the main villains got destroyed so early in the series. Makes me wonder if the same thing is going to happen to Zooous very soon.
Actually, it's not that early at all. A lot of generals die around episode 12 in Kamen Rider. Fourze had a general sucked into another dimension around episode 10, and I think it was Wizard where an immortal phoenix general was defeated by literally throwing him into the sun about episode 12. I'm pretty sure one of the main baddies in Drive was also killed off by episode 15, and a general in W died off early on. Oh, and one of the Clovers from Faiz also bit the dust pretty early on. It's been a while since I went back and rewatched a lot of the older Heisei stuff, so I might not be precise on the episode numbers.

Showa was also pretty notorious for killing off generals, often with new generals debuting later on. And a couple KR series even killed off their main boss halfway through and finished out with a second main boss (ex: Amazon).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Dante ShadowRoadz
7X

Post by Dante ShadowRoadz »

Well we haven't dropped back to the previous quality at least, even if this episode wasn't as strong as the last few were. Tassel really does work better as a mysterious side character than a narrator, they actually managed to spark a hint of interest in his role and origins this episode and how it connects back to the sacred blades and the Megiddo. And while it did feel rushed and crammed in, Rintarou getting a moment of determination to help his friend was still more character development than we've seen in ages for the secondary Riders, so at least they're TRYING to do something with them.

They did kind of fumble with the child in the book and how Touma engaged him, but it's still leagues ahead of the junk they did to hand-wave King of Arthur and Draconic Knight as super forms. The form itself is a bit overly cluttered and overwhelms the stand-out elements of Primitive Dragon, which is a shame cause it actually made for a good contrast with the royal red of Brave Dragon rather than the more pastel reds, orange and bronze they went with for Elemental Dragon. I kinda saw the writing on the wall with it being able to wield multiple elements, just because I could tell they're making a push towards what the writers probably think is the end-game stages, they can only cram in so many new things every few episodes. Same with how Legiel was just panned over all at once in the end rather than having any character development.
Mighty Action X
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Quote: "Fast means going slowly without interruptions."
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Mighty Action X »

msf232 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:56 pm Interesting how one of the main villains got destroyed so early in the series. Makes me wonder if the same thing is going to happen to Zooous very soon.
It's episode 27. We're halfway through. There are even general-tier villains that got offed way earlier in previous installments.
PurpleHat
Gao
Quote: If you do not fight, you will not survive.

Post by PurpleHat »

This episode really rides off the coattails of the last few episodes. The resolution with the boy is a bit lackluster even though I don't mind Touma's reasoning since it's a nice contrast to Kento's current mindset of the future unable to be rewritten. It makes me wonder how exactly the future where he seals the swords plays out and if in that future he told Touma why he had to take the actions he took. It's possible that Kento saw a future where he was a lone wolf and didn't explain himself until the very end. If that's the case then he can't account for the future where Touma and the others know why Kento is doing what he's doing and thus the future has already changed. Touma is determination/reckless determination personified in this series and if there's a faint chance he can prevent a terrible future he'll take that chance and run with it. I just hope this doesn't turn into Touma going "deus ex machina" at every point just because we kind of expect it.

Rintarou continues to disappoint me. I really hope there's a satisfying conclusion to his arc because he went way downhill the moment the infighting started. In fact, it's basically over at this point and he's still on the wrong side. It's sad.

I don't mind one of the generals getting offed. Calibur was more interesting and he got offed early so I'm not expecting much from the villains other than Reika. Even then I'm not getting my hopes up.
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I can't believe they killed off Legeiel before even telling us anything about what Desast's deal is.

also, if this is supposed to be setting up Touma having rewrite powers, this affects my theory about the final form he'll get. from day 1 my thought was "ok, so the final form is gonna be some doofy looking "he's wearing a whole bookshelf as armor" thing isn't it?" but now what if it's actually a form based on "you're not the book, but the author." and the first line in the OP "the saber in your hand is a pen" was foreshadowing the entire time.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Connie_Edogawa wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:41 pm I can't believe they killed off Legeiel before even telling us anything about what Desast's deal is.
I forgot that Desast is even a character. Gotta say, out of all the villains, he's the one with the least screen time

Return to “Kamen Rider Saber”