Kamen Rider Revice 02 Discussion Thread

All that exists in my heart is cholesterol...

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:57 pm

★★★★★
25%
★★★★
50%
★★★
25%
★★
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 8
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Kamen Rider Revice 02 Discussion Thread

Post by Lunagel »

< Previous
Wiki
Next >

Rating for Revice Ep 1: 4.61 / 5 stars (18 votes)

hoooooly fuck that OP slaps so hard

lol I love that he struggles with his bicycle, I know that feeling

yeah that text appears too fast to read it all, no way little kids can read everything, especially with all that kanji. It's a nice extra for people who can pause the video but other than that I doubt we'll see any real characterization through that.

Is the Driver voice the same person from Ex-Aid? It sounds very familiar, especially Buddy Up/Level Up

Hello form clearly based on W, I guess this is gonna be a thing.

Whooo good thing we're not translating, two puns in 5 minutes. Puns are the worst.

Did they have extra Zombie suits around cause I swear all the mooks are based off that

I hope they didn't mess upt the ground of this golf course too badly, poor groundskeepers.

Noooot a fan of the remix form. Too much cgi

Not really buying the make up between the golfer/caddie.

Good points - The interaction between Ikki and Vice is very believable and natural. I like how Ikki is totally ready to do whatever it takes to make sure Vice doesn't try and like, eat people or whatever. It's hard to fight but it's even harder to not fight sometimes, and the show really highlighted that.

Bad points - CGI is lackluster at best. On the other hand, it's not full CGI environments like the first two episodes of Saber, which clearly blew the entire budget very quickly.

Notes - The normal Rider "team" is main+girl+secondary+extra cast (with some variation), but the main+girl is pretty much a staple. We seem to be throwing that out the window here because the sister at this point is apparently a secondary role. The "girl" role apparently is fulfilled by the younger brother? I mean, I'm glad they're trying to shake things up, but can we PLEASE GET MORE GIRL CHARACTERS. I promise they don't have cooties!

It seems like recently we're getting more new locations and I have to wonder if this is a minor side effect of COVID. Usually a big golf area would be hard to reserve for filming, but with the state of emergency and fewer customers, perhaps we're seeing more places that would otherwise be inaccessible.

I'm honestly really looking forward to episode 3, I'm enjoying this way more than I thought I would.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Kamen Rider Revice 02 Discussion Thread

Post by takenoko »

>Notes - The normal Rider "team" is main+girl+secondary+extra cast (with some variation), but the main+girl is pretty much a staple. We seem to be throwing that out the window here because the sister at this point is apparently a secondary role. The "girl" role apparently is fulfilled by the younger brother? I mean, I'm glad they're trying to shake things up, but can we PLEASE GET MORE GIRL CHARACTERS. I promise they don't have cooties!

Are you sure you're not overthinking it?

Live reaction:
So much pink

I think I forgot to mention how much I hate the creepy clown t-shirts last week

Not loving the weird combination forms. That eagle form is definitely an homage to W

Why is this guy working for such a jerk

Well, let's see how long Ikki can keep Vice under control

Okay, catching the axe and finding out it's a gun was funny

Finding the stamp controls for the belt are a little confusing. Not sure what stamp presses and what flips do what

Great, the caddy is b ack with his toxic golfer guy. A happy ending?

Overall, still a pretty solid episode, although I think I liked episode 1 better. Not a fan of the remix forms, they're CGI monstrosities that are lame. Glad Ikki tamed Vice, but it just reminded me of Den-O when Ryoutarou had to get Momo under control
MaxHazard
Infinity

Post by MaxHazard »

we will see more of this remix form in future episodes... more pink to go...lol
so that means Revice driver doesn't helps to control Vice as mentioned in the previous episode by the creator, Vice still can do whatever he wants

in the Opening Theme, ikki has a evil smile, looking forward to see that in the future episode
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

My main takeaway from the episode was the bit in the opening where they seem to be holding Ichigou, Kuuga and possibly Black hostage. Is that how they're developing the Rider-themed Vistamps?

Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Looks more like V3 than Black to me but yeah that's definitely Ichigou and Kuuga
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I don't know which forms there'll be beyond the list of stamps they showed in episode 1 that were stolen from Fenix, or which riders they'll match up to, with a few exceptions like who we're getting next week, but I knew this was gonna be a thing because I'd seen some scans of the stamps and behind the images of the animals the stamps were was the helmet of whichever rider they matched up to. if you get a good look at the Rex stamp, for example, it's got Revi's head behind it, and Eagle has W's.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm Overall, still a pretty solid episode, although I think I liked episode 1 better. Not a fan of the remix forms, they're CGI monstrosities that are lame. Glad Ikki tamed Vice, but it just reminded me of Den-O when Ryoutarou had to get Momo under control
I haven't seen Den-O in long enough that I forgot about that, but it definitely reminded me of early OOO with stuff like Eiji threatening to be such an idiot that "oops, I dropped this belt in the river. boy, I'm so clumsy and dumb." or falling from the building and refusing to transform unless Ankh agreed to his terms.
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Igarashi Ikki yells Henshin in the OP as he transforms into Revi is a direct homage to OOO's OP where Eiji also yelled Henshin.

The Riders in that screenshot are Ichigou, Kuuga, and J.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Second episode and I'm a little more into it this time. The OP is something that falls shy of Chosen Solder but has some pretty great lyrics and a decent flow all the same. And I really do love the Deadman generals' costumes.

One thing that sort of bugs me is how this is yet another series with a copy of Momotaros. In Saber (which I finally finished), you had Desast, who turned out to be almost a photocopy of Momotaros, from the passion for fighting just to fight, to the way he reacted when someone called him out. And now, in the very next season, we have Vice, who's a cross between Momotaros and Ryuk. I'm not saying Vice is necessarily a bad character, but I feel like they should try and figure out how to make characters that kids like which aren't copied from Den-O. I'm pretty sure the fart joke in Saber was merely because someone remembered Momotaros having similar embarassing moments and trying to convey that this black and blue demon was just like that red and black oni. It's only a small improvement that he's doing old man jokes out of the fourth wall now.

The Fenix uniforms are reminding me more and more of ZECT, which doesn't bode well for the organisation's future. I also get a little hint of TLT, but I have a feeling they won't have the same competence in battle, especially after the two disasters in the first episode.

The bike thing was actually kind of fun, I'll admit, but then we end up with the text message convos again. I REALLY hope they pull a Megaranger and drop that by the 5th episode.

Still not a fan of the Rider outfits, and the MotW (both of them, actually) look like they're made of pepakura.

We get yet another "I will fight on my own" moment, but thankfully this time we have a Rider who's actually thinking ahead instead of simply reacting. That was a decent enough touch, although I hope they don't just dismiss things here. A devil should be fighting with its own nature, not simply giving in to fight "for love, peace, dreams, hope, the future, and the people" just because he's told he has to. I'd like to see him actually find a purpose of his own for protecting people at some point. Like Ikki, I just don't buy it like this.

Loved the little Zenkaiger moment with the axe.

All in all, a much better episode than last week, but still with a lot of flaws. The Remix thing is going to be annoying, and I'm not a huge fan of people suddenly being all friendly and loving when their inner demon's defeated, but at least it makes sense and could be interesting if they do some sort of followup to it (do they develop a new demon? will the Deadmans somehow make use of their lack of evil down the road somehow?).

4/5 this time and hopefully the silliness will give way to more of the positive stuff we're seeing. There's some good potential here if they're not afraid to explore it.

On a side note: Genm must really be rough in their subbing crew to get such fast releases. Pretty good QC as well despite the quick turnaround. I'll be paying more attention to them in future for anything TV-N doesn't do, which would make them my 5th go-to group for toku subs (and only the second for modern toku).
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

Lunagel wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:57 pm
hoooooly fuck that OP slaps so hard
I would KILL for you guys to karaoke this. the group I watch doesn't do the karaoke. if any of the others do, I haven't a clue. I'm watching a group with avg subtitles, but I'm grateful they're consistent.
Lunagel wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:57 pm
Noooot a fan of the remix form. Too much cgi
TOTALLY agreed here. the cgi is full of pain and cringe.
takenoko wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm Okay, catching the axe and finding out it's a gun was funny
it's GOTTA be a thing, considering the gags in zenkaiger about shooting the mooks...... it's funny as fuck, though. they were all "wait, what???"

Lunagel wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:57 pm Good points - The interaction between Ikki and Vice is very believable and natural. I like how Ikki is totally ready to do whatever it takes to make sure Vice doesn't try and like, eat people or whatever. It's hard to fight but it's even harder to not fight sometimes, and the show really highlighted that.
I am SERIOUSLY impressed with the writing/acting for Ikki. they gave him some conviction, and that kid is NAILING it. definitely getting OOO vibes from the relationship.
Ashki wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:16 pm and the MotW (both of them, actually) look like they're made of pepakura.
yeah, I'm getting an origami vibe. the 3 headed crane was a nice touch, and now that I know pepakura is the exact thing I was thinking of, I agree wholeheartedly.

I DID NOT think Revice was gonna be so good at the start.... but I'm being won over. Kentaro Maeda is gonna carry this show, for sure. I honestly think the best Riders have been the most believable actors.... and he's one of them, so far.
TajadorCombo
Infinity
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Favorite Band: Band-Maid, BABYMETAL
My boom: Fighting games
Quote: I'm just a passing-through Kamen Rider, remember that
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by TajadorCombo »

Pretty solid episode, I think all have mentioned the main points already so I just wanted to add something that came to me as I was watching the episode. Ikki likes soccer and Vice seems to be doing wrestling, both are the most beloved sports in Mexico, so it seems the Mexican motif is not exclusive to the villains.

Return to “Kamen Rider Revice”