Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Paradise Lost Theatrical Cut Released

Post by XIII »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... adise_Lost

Awaken the saviour within, the saviour to end the war

Its that time in the series to release the movie for Kamen Rider 555, but its not the Directors Cut as some of you might have been expecting, instead with have the Theatrical Cut, this is down to me having the Blu-ray for the film and cause I like HD stuff. I might do the DC at a later point in the series.

Also to clear up confusion before it starts, no Lunagel isnt off the project as translator, we had a script from when takenoko did the DC edit years ago, so I just reverse engineered the script from that with Luna doing a check over to make sure all the names and everything right.

everything from here is a bit disjointed, but it should make sense some what

So, this movies story relates to an alternate ending of the struggle between man and orphenoch, the world is now controlled by Smart Brain and the Orphenoch and only 2000 odd humans survive, Takumi/Faiz has gone missing, everything is in disarray, basically the world has gone to crap. and we go all slightly futurama like with one person (youll understand the reference when you see it)

The overriding style of the movie is very brutal and harsh, you kind of forget its a kids film and think of it more of an adult film, its just over the top of the guns, the body count at times and just general destruction that goes on, you can kind of see why they no long do such brutal films or story lines any more and why its been so softened out in the most recent of movies and series. But this kind of story and style is what drew me to the Kamen Rider series, and one of the reasons 555 ranks so high on the list of KR Series that I enjoy.

We get new riders introduced in the film, Pysga, Orga and RioTroppers, yeap, that first mass produced Rider belt, all of which adds to the greatness of the movie, we also get all the standard characters in the film from the series, we even get Kaido confessing something to Yuka that you just wouldnt have seen coming, given how he was in the episodes preceeding the movie. The only Rider that doesnt appear in the movie is Delta, no real reason is given as to why he is absent from the Movie, unless its just that one gear that has been destroyed in the first war.

We also get a look at the new gear that 555 gains in the Movie, its not specified as to where the gear came from in either edit, its just something they expect you to accept and move on with, the new form is sweet and kick ass at the same time, the new weapon packs a great blast. But at the same time we get a big storyline spoiler for the series in the movie, so I suggest you dont watch the film at this point if you dont want aspects of the series to be spoiled, its a pretty much the only gripe I have with the film.

While working on this movie, I completely forgot that Leo/Pysga spoke perfect English in the movie, caught me off guard, after looking him up, turns out he is the first non-Japanese person to portray a Kamen Rider, quite a feat really given his background. He does seem to be a person that has done near enough everything.

I also forgot that Keitaro does Henshin finally into a Kamen Rider, shame that its Kaixa, but what can you do, it was more enjoyable watching Kuzaka getting his ass kicked midway through the film. at least you have that too look forward to in the movie

One thing that does surprise me with the TC edit is how much they actually did chop out that does go a ways to filling in the gaps, I guess if we do the DC later on we will be able to see the differences,

Hopefully you all enjoy the movie

A small note regarding the naming of a Rider.

Kamen Rider Oga
Alternate spellings are Ouga, Orga.
Based on the Greek letter Omega Ω. The name is probably a shortened version of Omega, O__ga. It's pronunciation is also like the O-Medals from OOO, which would fit in with the O theme of the Rider. His activation code is 000, which also looks like O's.
There is a theory the name should be Ouga, which uses the kanji 王我 which mean "ruler" and "self". Since these are called the Emperor's Belts, there is some credibility to this theory. If this were the case, then Psyga would be "I am Psi" and Oga would be "I am O(mega)" or "I am the king" depending on one's interpretation.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Paradise Lost Theatrical Cut Released

Post by takenoko »

I really liked this movie when I saw it. Considering how serious Faiz's story is, it lends itself to a post-apocalyptic setting. I mean, it's pretty bleak. The Orphs are in control and it looks pretty hopeless for the humans, so it makes that battle more epic. Even the open ending was handled pretty well, since it had a optimistic kind of feel to it.

And just for some context, if you were in Japan watching Faiz on TV at the time, the movie was the first point in which the viewers learn that Takumi is an Orphenoch. I think it was a big surprise at the time.

Wiki article:
http://www.wolfinspace.com/wiki/Kamen_R ... adise_Lost

Found some good trivia for this one. Apparently Paradise Lost had a world record at one point
decade368990
Train man
Favorite series: Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Osaki Ichika and Kudo Mio
Quote: Grow a spine, J.A.R.V.I.S. I got a date. -- Tony Stark

Post by decade368990 »

Thanks for the release. For a long time, I have been hoping for you guys to release this film with such beautiful quality. I am excited to watch it on my TV.

When I plug my USB an watch the HD Kamen RIder films on my TV, the quality is amazing.

The Faiz Blaster Weapon in this film is slightly different from the TV series.[/spoiler]

Didn't see how this is a spoiler since you'd have to watch the movie to know about it, so removed the spoiler tags - take
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

Paradise Lost is my favorite KR movie of all time, so i am ultra happy of seeing this release, if only to see the differences between this and the DC. Also, ultra quality.

When it comes to Heise KR movies, if they are going the make an alternate timeline they might as well throw an apocalypse or two, it works wonderfully in here and i see why they decided to try it again in kabuto. Still, the setting for this movie has always been engaging to me and i would love to see a series developed like this.

As for Orga/Ouga, i usually go for Orga since it´s easier to pronnounce and it reminds me of the Space Squid from Godzilla 2000.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

The main reason we changed it was because there's no r sound in it. It probably should have been Oga to begin with, but Orga got popularized as the English spelling because of our old subs. Oops! At least we can fix it with this release
HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

Wow, You've actually finally released PL HD. Got some scanned pics from modxtoy.com which I put them in spoiler tags due to me being lazy resizing it. Apology sent.

Damn, I love Psyga rider design so much.

PSYGA
Spoiler
ImageImageImageImageImage

OGA
Spoiler
ImageImageImage

FAIZ BLASTER
Spoiler
Ryousha
7X
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Kiva, Kamen Ride: Emperor"

Post by Ryousha »

When i watch this movie, it makes me think they had a really high budget for the film. The camera angles are bit wonky, but there were very nice visual effects that are much better than the more recent series that were heavily reliant on green screen (Fourze Mega Max, Movie War Core). So when I watch Paradise Lost, it's like a breath of fresh air again with a dark plot and actually doesn't look cheap.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Visual effect quality is also determined on how many shots are needed. PL didn't have that many complicated ones. So they had more time to devote to those shots. Max was filled with huge shots. Most fully CGI environments. It also didn't help the movie was converted to 3D. Using up time and resources. Causing those really bad shots on the space ship. You don't get worse effect shots, going from a TV budget, to a movie budget for no reason.
Ryousha
7X
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Kiva, Kamen Ride: Emperor"

Post by Ryousha »

archer9234 wrote:Visual effect quality is also determined on how many shots are needed. PL didn't have that many complicated ones. So they had more time to devote to those shots. Max was filled with huge shots. Most fully CGI environments. It also didn't help the movie was converted to 3D. Using up time and resources. Causing those really bad shots on the space ship. You don't get worse effect shots, going from a TV budget, to a movie budget for no reason.
That's true. But personally, I felt that the 3D thing is a complete gimmick and takes away the feel of why people got hooked to Kamen Rider in the first place. Though, then again. Just a personal feel that I think Paradise Lost was an excellent movie compared to Movie War Core and Mega Max
archer9234
Faiz
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Oh yeah. PL is an excellent movie. And had a really good story.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

takenoko wrote:And just for some context, if you were in Japan watching Faiz on TV at the time, the movie was the first point in which the viewers learn that Takumi is an Orphenoch. I think it was a big surprise at the time.
That explains something. When it happens in the series it's less a DUH DUH DAH! moment than I expected. If it was already out there from the movie and it was just confirming it... yeah I can see why they played it the way they did.
archer9234
Faiz

Post by archer9234 »

Which didn't make sense. Because the movie was in a alternate universe. So the the Orphenoch reveal should of still been a big deal, in show. And was. As long as you ignored all info about the movie.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

And, ignored that moment early in the show when the cactus(?) Orphenoch puts the belt on and is all "Not everyone can transform, y'know?"
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I've always liked this movie too. The Director's Cut was much better. I'm glad to be able to see this in HD now. Does anyone here think that this film was influenced by the Battle Royale films which came out a few years before this one? To see everyone fighting for survivors with guns certainly made me think that was the case.

Return to “Kamen Rider 555”