I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: 555,Kiva,DenO,W,OOO+
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Go Busters
Dreamy: Ankh
My boom: Lupin Vs Pat

Re: Oga versus Orga

Post by Dark-Black-Wings »

This somehow reminds me of how the first wave of S.h.Figuarts Kamen Rider OOO TaToBa combo came with an "Unkh" Figure as opposed to the newer release of "Ankh".
Also, sometimes they put "Masked" Rider instead of "Kamen" Rider <<But not sure what that has to do with anything haha)
scrent
Number 6
Number 6

Post by scrent »

I disagree with you, takenoko. Simply because I don't think it's a matter of better/worst or right/wrong, but a matter of preference. (Unless the creator itself states a right way to do it - you can't go against the creator even if he's being a douche). So I DO believe that if someone have lots of friends that share the same opinion that should be the 'right way'.

That being said, by the looks of the posts here and the poll itself Oga is the preference of majority and that should be. I personally don't like it because I think it loses the emphasis of the O. So I would pick Orga, Ouga or even Ohga over Oga, but that's just me.

Peace.
droolboy
Sentai Senshi

Post by droolboy »

It's only kind of related but how come any time there's a dash / - in a name, some people assume that there's supposed to be an R there? I know in some cases they do that but seriously, it's not the case every time... D;
fujiko
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by fujiko »

I haven't watched faiz so I guess I don't really have any knowledge about the character but, I just wanted to give my input for spelling japanese words in english.

I think the reason why when changed into english, it becomes Orga is because that way when people pronounce the word without any knowledge about the japanese language, they'll say Or-ga (as in the word 'or') which is how it's pronounced in Japanese. If they had only written it as Oga, it would end up being pronounced as 'o' (like the letter o) followed by ga. Which is not how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Of course, this is assuming the translation was made for the english audience which it isn't.... but that reasoning may have been the reason why 'r' has had a history of being added into romanised words.

I however prefer Ouga cause I like to see the long sound written out when you can't use a hyphen.

Just my 2 cents.
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

What, no one thought of Ooga? (^.^;)

Seriously though, the mispelling of Faiz is a good counter point. If you don't mind me saying, it would seem that many translators (not only you guys) follow the official English romanisations given by the companies unless it sounds dumb, whereby one then decides to create a new, better sounding/spelling name (or vice versa). Phis and Oga or Faiz and Orga. Heck, what about Kaixa? Why Kaixa and not Kaiza? Perhaps I'm just asking for some consistency. If the English name is not given, then I can see some point in arguing. But it is clearly provided. Yes, I do agree that translators need to convey meaning, but as translators, one also needs to respect the source material and be as accurate to it as possible.

As for Faiz Axel/Accel, I personally, I do prefer Faiz Axel. To me, it seems to be a far cooler rendition of the word and it differentiates itself from Kamen Rider Accel. Not to mention, sometimes, English words may be officially mispelled to add some flavor to it or if it is a specific naming term such as Greeed, etc...

Meh, cultural differences, you gotta love 'em.
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog
Masaki Andou
Number 6
Number 6
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Me, Masaki Andou!
Favorite Actor?: Your face
Favorite Band: Symphony X
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Super Robutts!

Post by Masaki Andou »

Actar wrote:As for Faiz Axel/Accel, I personally, I do prefer Faiz Axel. To me, it seems to be a far cooler rendition of the word and it differentiates itself from Kamen Rider Accel. Not to mention, sometimes, English words may be officially mispelled to add some flavor to it or if it is a specific naming term such as Greeed, etc...

Meh, cultural differences, you gotta love 'em.
You do realize Faiz came before, right? >_> Why would you differentiate something that came out 6 years before.. with something that didn't exist when it was subbed? On top of that, changing romanizations midway is even more confusing for people already set in one style.
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!

Post by Therm_Kitty »

Dark-Black-Wings wrote:Also, sometimes they put "Masked" Rider instead of "Kamen" Rider <<But not sure what that has to do with anything haha)
Anything before and including Decade is Masked Rider. Anything from W on is Kamen Rider. It's a way for them to turn Kamen Rider into an international term while still holding their old international copyrights (they own 'MASKED RIDER FAIZ' but not 'KAMEN RIDER FAIZ', so a new Faiz Figuart or DVD release would have the romanization of 'MASKED RIDER FAIZ.')
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Actar wrote:Heck, what about Kaixa? Why Kaixa and not Kaiza? Perhaps I'm just asking for some consistency.
Well Kaixa's design has X's on it in key areas; His lightsaber/gun thing, his helmet, the Mission Memory... Plus it helps distance his name from the word "Kaiser."

Actar wrote:As for Faiz Axel/Accel, I personally, I do prefer Faiz Axel. To me, it seems to be a far cooler rendition of the word...
If I had my way it'd be called Faiz XL.
whitehelm

Post by whitehelm »

I'm a bit lazy to check, but did Di-end ever summon Oga/Orga in the show? If so, the name would've appeared onscreen next to the driver.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

whitehelm wrote:I'm a bit lazy to check, but did Di-end ever summon Oga/Orga in the show? If so, the name would've appeared onscreen next to the driver.
I've watched Decade a few times over, and I can honestly say that that he never did.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Dark-Black-Wings wrote:This somehow reminds me of how the first wave of S.h.Figuarts Kamen Rider OOO TaToBa combo came with an "Unkh" Figure as opposed to the newer release of "Ankh".
Also, sometimes they put "Masked" Rider instead of "Kamen" Rider <<But not sure what that has to do with anything haha)
English on toy packages is notorious for having wildly inaccurate spellings at times, going back to the days of (the original) Gundam.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

ReversedSentai wrote:
whitehelm wrote:I'm a bit lazy to check, but did Di-end ever summon Oga/Orga in the show? If so, the name would've appeared onscreen next to the driver.
I've watched Decade a few times over, and I can honestly say that that he never did.
I think it was Chou Den-O's Episode Yellow where DiEnd got his K-Touch, and he summoned Orga along with one Movie Rider from each Heisei series for an overkill finishing move. So it wasn't in the series-proper, but it happened.
crazybus
Favorite series: Ryuki/Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto/Dekaranger
Favorite Band: Cradle of Filth
Quote: "Obaa-chan said this, 'Make the world revolve around you. It's more fun to think that way.'"

Post by crazybus »

Lunagel wrote:Partially because it looks weird, like you said, but aside from phi, you have to remember the 555 thing, so if you take 'five' and 'phi' and put them in the blender and hit 'frappe' you kinda get 'faiz'
Good point. I forgot about "555" for some reason.
takenoko wrote:You can look at the bad English on a lot of other toys and claim they're official because they're on official products...
For example, I've seen Go-Busters T-Shirts etc. that say "Buddyloid" on them. I'd be surprised if you didn't get complaints from people about you using "Buddyroid."
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I think most people kinda figured it was from "buddy" and "droid"

Also, the Japanese are absolutely terrible at discerning l from r. You can show them how to spell a word 2 minutes before you ask them to spell it and they will still spell eraser with an l. Any words they spell with an r/l you kinda have to take with a grain of salt and use your own judgement as to which letter should be used.
Solidus
UNKNOWN HARD ERROR!
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Blade
Dreamy: Mika, Ran
Favorite Actor?: Cobb
Favorite Band: LCD Soundsystem
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: shiny objects

Post by Solidus »

He's always been Orga to me. Granted, he never got the wide variety of merchandise the other Riders did (he was afterall a movie-only guy), all the few pieces of merchandise I've ever seen of his over the years spells it "Orga". Not just the Souchaku Henshin figure, even the $43453243 adult belts.

KR's Bandai's thing, the chief purpose of the show is to sell toys. So typically I go by what they say on the boxes. I do, however, understand the logic of the opposing argument. He's still Orga to me, call him what you will.

Return to “Kamen Rider 555”