< Ryuki | Faiz | Blade >
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Would this make the series better? [Spoilers]

Post by Jehal »

I think this series is great. Faiz is one of my favorite riders in design, style and gear. And Takumi as the user is an amazing character that has trouble talking about how he's feeling or what he's thinking. All of the subplots are what make this series worth watching, especially Kiba Yuuji. But then there's Smart Brain.

Smart Brain is the most unorganised evil group that i have ever seen, to the point where I never felt like they were actually a threat. At the end of the series when they're shut down, I felt like nothing changed because they never made any influence. Everytime the Lucky Clover got a scene inside their private bar I was just disappointed that I was watching these guys.
And then I watched Paradise Lost, which made Smart Brain one of the better villain groups. By having already won, they just need to exist to drive the story forward, and I feel that maybe this should've been the setting of the main series the entire time.

I get to the point starting here
We can't remake 555, but we can work with the footage we have. I got the random idea of "What if we just cut all of Smart Brain's scenes out?" All of those meetings inside the bar? Get rid of them, and now look at what you have. Turn Smart Brain into a more mysterious organization, where we don't see behind the curtains and we don't know what they're thinking.

Mr. J - A member of the Lucky Clover who can regenerate from death twice, and was threatened by Murakami to take out Faiz or be taken out. We get a look into his weak spot for his dog, Chaco, and a great show of this guy who should be a final boss getting punked three times in a row.
But now take out those meeting scenes: What do we know of Mr J? He doesn't have a name anymore, he's just another Orphenoch that shows up, but instead of killing people he's one of the first to specifically hunt down Faiz, AND he regenerates TWICE! Chaco? We still have the scene we he thinks he lost Chaco, and nearly has a heart attack, so that little character development still exists unnecessary of Murakami threatening him.

Itsuru - Itsuru was given the job of going out and eliminating "traitorous" Orphenoch, starting with Kiba Yuuji, and after he thinks he did it has a celebratory drink, only t ofreak out when he realises he fucked up and didn't confirm the kill. Later down the road, he see what a crybaby this guys actually is, being afraid of Kitazaki to the point of actually crying, and his entire character of a calm and collected cool guy being dumped down the drain. He was actually annoying.
Take out the bar scenes, and he just shows up out of nowhere one day to take out Kiba for not killing humans, and tells Yuka that she's safe. And then later down the road he reappears to steal the Faiz belt a few times. Makes him seem like a more interesting character, imo.

Saeko - What does she even do besides mix drinks? She has the one montage of her going around killing "traitorous" Orphenoch, which was actually a great moment, and her appearances to steal the Kaixa belt. Her character doesn't change much, but it removes the scene of her asking specifically to have that elimination job, and just cuts to her doing it and getting things done, making Smart Brain seem more like they know what they're doing.

Kitazaki - You keep his first appearance scene where he kills those punks who tried messing with him, and dump the pointless scenes of him bullying Itsuru. We don't need those moments to understand that this guy is an asshole; his actions when he steals the Delta belt are enough. But then when he gives the Delta belt to Sawada, don't show it at that time, just wait until Sawada give sit to his classmates, and when they question him do two quick flashbacks of Kitazaki saying he got tired of using it, and giving it to Sawada.

Sawada - He does nothing during any of the bar scenes he's apart of anyways, other than receiving the Delta belt.

Finding J's replacement - Gone. Unknown to the audience until Sawada is chosen. The idea that one of the four strongest was already killed, and everyone they attempt to replace him with is default weaker except maybe Sawada just destroys their thinking process, especially considering Yuka for the Lucky Clover near the end. It also helps flow the audience's thinking process with Takumi's as we learn that the Lucky Clover is taking in new members through Sawada.

Murakami - The idiot behind it all who was doomed to fail with his poor management skills and even worse people skills. This guy thought he was scarier than he actually was, and since he barely has any scenes outside of teh bar until near the end of the series where he actually becomes active; taking out all of those bar scenes and making his methods more mysterious takes away the arguments that he doesn't know what he's doing, because the audience doesn't know what he's thinking.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Would this make the series better? [Spoilers]

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I can agree with removing the b-plot of finding J's replacement, that really dragged the show down imo.
But you don't have to cut out every scene of the villains ~plotting~ to make them mysterious. That, I think, would cause an inverse effect of people wondering why they should care and the villains would seem boring. In short, it just needed to find an balance between the two factions of ~mysterious villains~ and ~developed characters~.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

So you basically took out all of the Lucky Clover bar scenes not Smart Brain. If you wanted to remove all of Smart Brain, you needed to take out all the corporate Smart Brain scenes as well. I think the problem you will have by doing this is the same problem that some people have with Drive with the Roidmude which is motivation. It's not enough just have monsters killing humans. You need to have them to give a reason for the killing.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

You're right, I thought I was thinking Smart Brain, but in the end it was just Lucky Clover I was thinking about. I guess going too hard in one direction would also just be a problem. I haven't seen Drive yet, but I'll keep this in mind when I get to it.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger

Return to “Kamen Rider 555”