XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Kamen Rider Hibiki & The Seven Senki Theatrical Cut Released

Post by XIII »

Its time for the gathering of 7 Oni's ready to go to war.

Its been quite sometime since we last did anything Hibiki (no Decades world doesnt count), I think the last thing we did was the Movie, but that was the Directors Cut of the movie, this time we have the Theatrical Cut, so why the TC edit, well quite simply its the edit that was released on Blu-Ray, so we can do a HD release of the film, and since its not a version we have released before, we can also put out an SD encode for it, that way everybody can enjoy it.

I guess the first aspect to say is that this movie is set within the same OU as the series, not something that happens often, its quite easy to say this as it mostly takes place in the past and builds on the storylines from the series.

So the film takes place Sengoku Period and deals with mostly with the mystical selection of humans to be sacrificed to Makamou called Orochi and the subsequent quest to find Oni's to help fight Orochi. there is also a couple of betrayal subplots going on along with a couple forgiveness subplots as well, you also get the story of how the takeshi organisation came into being, pretty much everything you want in the movie. Oh and the film is presented as a story that Modern Asumu is reading from a book as he searches for clues to help Modern Hibiki fight Orochi.

While the characters may be nearly the same as their modern day counterparts, some of them do have different rider names and designs, some of them also have different character make ups that just bring a few nice mixups to the table and makes you wonder if they would also work in the series, I guess the movie was a test bed for the new writing crew that took over the production of the series, there is also a couple of new riders to aid in the battle, it just adds to the already massive amount of Oni's that are in Hibiki, at a guess it probably has more riders during its run than Kabuto or Ryuki.

The fight sequences are pretty sweet in this as well, not relying too much on CGI (apart from Orochi), they are your typical over the top fights with plenty of Pyro to keep you amused as the Oni fight against the Makamou

Oh and dont forget the creepy girl singing and playing with a ball, you'll understand when you see it.

The movie may not interest everybody, same as with the series, but I think its worth a watch, its sort of a separate entity to the series that can be watched on its own and you dont need much back knowledge to enjoy this. I enjoyed the movie back when it was first released and now having had the chance to work on the movie, I have enjoyed it in a new light, its not often you really notice edits between the TC and DC, but they are kind of more prevalent in this, also I noticed a couple of different camera angles, below is one of the ones that stuck out the most,

So now we have some notes on this, this basically the break down of the attack names and a couple of other aspects

Onsa Ken
The litteral meaning of this is Tuning Fork Blade, but you can also use Tuning Fork Sword depending on the context of the dialog and scene.

Daimyou
This basically a territorial lord, a term used from the era represented in the film

Ongeki Sou Senppu Issen
Sound Attack Play Whirlwind Flash

Ongeki Hyou Keichou Fubaku
Sound Attack Clap Flippant Deathly Explosion

Ongeki Sha Shippu Issen
Sound Attack Shot Hurricane Flash

Ongeki Kyou Irasshai
Sound Attack Echo Admirable Shot Threat

Ongeki Zan Raiden Gekishin
Sound Attack Slash Thunder and Lightning Great Quake

Ongeki Kiou Ichigeki Dotou
Sound Attack Strike Single Attack Clashing Waves

Ongeki Da Bakuretsu Kyouda
Sound Attack Pound Exploding Strong Blow

Hopefully you enjoy the re-working of this great movie.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Re: Kamen Rider Hibiki & The Seven Senki Theatrical Cut Rele

Post by Dark Ren »

wow, nice! thanks!

uuuh anyway I`d like to ask, it maybe a stupid question though, this theatrical cut is the movie they put on the theatre, right? so basically it is shorter (in the duration time) than director cut, right?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

So hard... to not be sarcastic... Must resist... for Christmas...
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

Dark Ren wrote:uuuh anyway I`d like to ask, it maybe a stupid question though, this theatrical cut is the movie they put on the theatre, right? so basically it is shorter (in the duration time) than director cut, right?
yes, its about 12-14 minutes shorter than the DC edit, I cant remember the exact difference in running times
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

I wasn't excepting this. I really wish toei would stop being idiots and release both versions on one disc.
Devilbat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade/W

Post by Devilbat »

I remember back when I saw Hibiki. I was enjoying it quite a bit but then around the end of the series, including the ending itself, things got really dull (at least for my taste) with the exception of a few things. The things that I really didn't like about Hibiki that still stand out was the ending and the movie. Regardless of my past feelings I'm going to download and watch this anyway because who knows, maybe I'll see something I didn't see in it before that'll help me either like it or understand it more.
"It's... showtime." -Haruto Souma/Kamen Rider Wizard

ChelseaChampion
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Blade
Dreamy: LUKA MILLFY
Favorite Band: 24Herbs
My boom: Happiness
Quote: "Black Wing Sleeping Here Forever"

Post by ChelseaChampion »

I didnt watch any Hibiki episodes before other than the Decade world version of it, but I just thought of watching the movie cause Christmas is a boring time of the year for me.

Anyway, I kind of like it even though there isnt any custom bikes in this series. It didnt really feel like a Kamen Rider movie at all to me cause of the design of their suit I guess... The fighting was not bad but not really that exciting... But I guess the movie was nice for me because of the small twist and the plot was interesting enough for me like the gathering of the other Oni's.

However I kind of hate that when Hibiki picks up the sword at the last part and it turns into a futuristic weapon and his suit changes into a totally uncharacteristic design.
Drop. Fire. Gemini. Burning Divide
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

ChelseaChampion wrote:However I kind of hate that when Hibiki picks up the sword at the last part and it turns into a futuristic weapon and his suit changes into a totally uncharacteristic design.
you can blame the new writing team Toei brought in for the Movie and 2nd half of the series, they turned it from what it was into something more of a traditional rider series. You also have to understand that Hibiki wasn't intended to be a Kamen Rider series at first, which is why it doesnt really resemble a normal Rider series.
Alessar
Salami Commander
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Azazel wrote:you can blame the new writing team Toei brought in for the Movie and 2nd half of the series
This movie is also something of a retcon for the series. Before the movie aired, that technician laydfriend of Hibiki's made the comment one day that her parents invented the device that let them transform. Clearly the movie tosses that for a lineage of more magicky Oni.

In fact, if the movie writers hadn't taken over the series, the movie would probably be an alternate continuity. Because they got the power, they built on it and ignored what they didn't like from the previous part of the series. Hibiki makes me sad now due to all the production shenanigans, plus the tragic young death of one of the actresses in the show. (She had poor health and died just a few years later.)
MonkeyRanger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Hibiki eps1-29
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kuuga
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
My boom: ChocNut, Polvoron

Post by MonkeyRanger »

Azazel wrote: I guess the first aspect to say is that this movie is set within the same OU as the series, not something that happens often, its quite easy to say this as it mostly takes place in the past and builds on the storylines from the series.
not quite.

background story for the Armed Saber and Hibiki's Final Form is different from tv series and movie, thus making the movie AU...

movie's still good on it's own nonetheless( basically a good stand-alone, like Az said you can pretty much pick up on things even if you haven't seen the tv series)...
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

Hibiki is one of my favorite Kamen Rider series, and I can't let it pass to watch this one. Kind of disappointed with the weak plot of betrayal of one Oni. They should have just made him the main antagonist in my opinion, and would have been cooler if he had a Makamou form.

I felt uneasy with the dagger conveniently found again in the very same cave as we saw it fell to the sea in the Sengoku fight. I know, somewhere in the lost pages that they have found it later and replaced it in the cave but I think it's lame not to show how the battle fared with the 7-Oni team-up given it took the whole movie time just to gather its members.
zeldAIS
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: 音楽とか妖怪のテマ
2nd Favorite Series: スーパー戦隊シリーズ
Dreamy: 松岡茉優Queen
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: 漫画,音楽,ドラマ,映画
Quote: "The fan translations community must be helping & understanding each other."
"Quality fan translations take quality time."
Type: INFP Healer

Post by zeldAIS »

I finally got around looking at the movie for nostalgia's sake (didn't watched through it - just browsed some scenes). I thought I just mention what I got reminded when I first heard the title of the movie way back when I was watching Hibiki - the writers "styled" the movie just like one of Kurosawa Akira's most celebrated classic "Seven Samurai".
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

Only in one of these effects series will you have an electric guitar, a modern day trumpet which doubles as a machine gun, & plastic disc animals that turn into stone giants, & all this takes place in the Sengoku Period. Aslo noticed that Sengoku clothes tend to hold up better than modern day clothes once they dehenshin.

So yeah I liked this movie, it was nice seeing them explore the roots of the Takeshi Organization & relating it to the modern times. The ending was definitely rushed their with Hibiki getting the sword and transforming it to something modern, glad that got a retcon later.

Movie was a nice homage to Seven Samurai a favorite of mine, also a good rider movie general despite the flaws with it.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
V V King
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by V V King »

I only saw about 3 episodes of Hibiki (I really need to watch the rest), but I really liked this movie. It may be because I just love Seven Samurai, but still.

Return to “Kamen Rider Hibiki”