Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai
Dreamy: Boukenred, Nago
Favorite Actor?: Hiro ? (Tendou)
Favorite Band: Oasis
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Is Hibiki worth watching?

Post by Soccermom »

It´s definately worth watching. The character development was great, it has plenty of action, the makamous are creepy enough and it´s quite refreshing seeing riders that don´t beat on each other all the time. We got a nice mix of adult and teenage actors interacting. I loved some of the life lessons that were very much a part of the story. My 10 year old thought it was good , though at first he was put off by the musical theme of the series. My 6 year old was scared with some of the scenes and didn´t really want to watch it (he loves den-o, kabuto and kiva). My only complaints about the series are the inclusion of the Kiriya character and the final battle.
Trium Shockwave
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Mari
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Favorite Band: L'Arc~en~Ciel
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Anime cels

Post by Trium Shockwave »

Hibiki is good, but you have to take it in the right context. Hibiki is different from other Rider series, that much is obvious. The reason is it wasn't supposed to be a Kamen Rider series at all. It was something else that Bandai had in development, and was the brainchild of its original producer Takadera Shigenori. For some reason, Toei and Bandai decided to make Hibiki the 2005 Kamen Rider series, but not much about the show actually changed besides the title. I just rewatched it, and with this now in mind, I liked it a lot better this time. I usually compare it to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. DS9 is a great series, but it's not much of a Star Trek show. It just lacks most of the themes and qualities that typically define Star Trek. Hibiki is the same. It's a great show, it's just not much of a Kamen Rider series. If you cast aside your Kamen Rider expectations and take it on its own, you may be pleasantly surprised.

It should also be noted that Takadera was removed as producer and replaced as of episode 30 and for the movie by Shirakura Shinichiro, who was (and continues to be) a producer for most of the other Heisei era Riders, PGSM, and several Sentai shows. He also brought along his usual writers. Apparently Hibiki was overbudget due to all the location shoots, and it was also underperforming in ratings and merchandise. That combination does not make execs happy. Shirakura was basically brought in because Takadera refused to make the changes they wanted. On the flip side, many fans of Hibiki, as well as the cast were unhappy with the change. Though I like basically everything else Shirakura has ever worked on, I do wish Takadera had been allowed to finish making his show.
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu

Post by Arawynn »

When I watched the first episode of Hibiki...I thought it had an overall sinister feel to it. The mountain/jungle with cobweby appearance and the Hime/Douji pair looking very scary...but as the series progressed I got into it.
The concept is quite different from other Rider seasons. Sure the musical kinda grates on the nerves after a while...
After the production change and introduction of Kiriya the plot somewhat gets screwed up. But the fights are interesting nevertheless.
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
mateo360
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-o
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Favorite Band: GACKT
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider

Post by mateo360 »

I never really liked Hibiki. It was the Series that took me the longest to finish because I didn't want to watch it. To me the ending was also very disappointing.
Do Not Underestimate the Power of Tommy's Ass.
reitantei
Adventure
Favorite series: Blade/Kabuto

Post by reitantei »

Well, I guess it is worth watching if that means learning something new about something and seeing something different for a while.
If "worth watching" means that you don't feel bored watching it, and when it's over you think "well that was lame", it's not.

Hibiki has probably the worst story ever. Were I asked to explain it, I wouldn't know how to do it.

(but Sei Ashina is frigging beautiful, reason good enough to watch Hibiki)
Last edited by reitantei on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devilbat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade/W

Post by Devilbat »

Hibiki is a great series that is totally worth watching. The first episode is weird and the following episodes do follow in it's footsteps but once you get used to it, you'll be glad you kept watching.
"It's... showtime." -Haruto Souma/Kamen Rider Wizard

That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Hibiki isn't about the story as much as the characters. Above all, it's about the influence that these people that turn into Oni have on Asumu's growth.
Ryuga_knight
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Quote: All I know about life I leaned from Kamen rider!

Post by Ryuga_knight »

Hibiki is a little slow at the beguinning, but after episode 5 or so it gets going. Though some parts with Asumu are slow, the action after is amazing, and if you've watched many rider series non-stop like I did (Kabuto, Faiz, then Blade) and you want somthing diffrent but still kamen rider, Hibiki is a good choice.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

mateo360 wrote:I never really liked Hibiki. It was the Series that took me the longest to finish because I didn't want to watch it. To me the ending was also very disappointing.
You and me both, but I cannot put my finger on what it is exactly about Hibiki I didn't like. Other then the disapointing ending, all that for that? Seriously?

Well could be worse, you could be like me and get the song "The Streak" by Ray Stevens stuck in your head; thank you decade for not continueing that.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The problem is, a lot of people go into Hibiki already thinking what everyone else has said, and that just furthers their bad impression of it. I suppose it doesn't help it wasn't written as a Kamen Rider series to begin with, and then they changed the writing staff halfway through.

I didn't outright HATE Hibiki, but it was the last series I watched and because it didn't really hit my Kamen Rider itch, it ranks the lowest for me out of all the Hesei series.

Granted, if it was a stand alone show, peoples impressions might have been different. It's pretty good in its own right, but because we as the fans stack it up against Kuuga and Agito (the benchmarks at the time), it gets this bad wrap.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Catastrophe wrote:The problem is, a lot of people go into Hibiki already thinking what everyone else has said, and that just furthers their bad impression of it. I suppose it doesn't help it wasn't written as a Kamen Rider series to begin with, and then they changed the writing staff halfway through.

I didn't outright HATE Hibiki, but it was the last series I watched and because it didn't really hit my Kamen Rider itch, it ranks the lowest for me out of all the Hesei series.

Granted, if it was a stand alone show, peoples impressions might have been different. It's pretty good in its own right, but because we as the fans stack it up against Kuuga and Agito (the benchmarks at the time), it gets this bad wrap.
I didn't like it and not because i stood it up against Agito or Kuuga. I prefer not to compare stack the series against each other till I have started to get into them. It brings some unfairity into the situation. However I do fully agree it would have been in Hibiki's best intrest if it was a stand alone series.

Hibiki you either loved it, or hated it. Give it ten episodes before you decide for yourself. Unlike Decade this series is not as hated.
rizefall
Swedish Meatball

Post by rizefall »

Reviving an old thread is always fun, better that though than posting lots of shit about the same thing!

Rizefall is back, being a fan and watch most of the series since the release of decade i'ma nu try OOO or what ever it is called!
If it is any good that is?
"Lady Luck is smilin"
Kamen Rider
Gabu
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
My boom: Gaim
Quote: おばあちゃんはこう言ってた。天の道を行き、総てを司る男………俺の名は天道総司

Post by Kamen Rider »

In my opinion, this was one of the best (unique) series. IF you can get used to the words flashing on screen and the monsters getting killed by music, you would find this a VERY good series as well :D
xeroflare
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Blade/Kabuto
Dreamy: what i gota choose
Favorite Band: Children of Bodom
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by xeroflare »

Reading all this reminded me what i liked about the show. it was the characters, i thought the actors did a good job and really made ya like them. the suits i also thought looked really cool and i liked the musical weapons... what really killed the show for me was the monsters they are really disappointing.. i mean the humanoid ones i swear are the same people 90% of the time or they do a damn good job of making them look the same and the giant ones could use a lil more variety but i did only make it to 20 something b4 i stopped watching. think i'll make it my one to finish next after reading this kinda in the mood. lol i did like that the guy and girl are reversed for the humanoid baddies tho makes me laugh every time or as i call them dudechic and chicdude.

also find it funny that people hate Decade as its my friends fav and what got us into watching KR again b4 that i hadn't seance the bad American one from bake when i was a kid. I'll admit its my least favorite but it let me get a glimps pf all the other shows and i have to thank it for that cus i was like these others have to be way better then this and thats how it all started and went Kiva, Blade, 555,Kabuto, Hibiki (started), Ryuki, Den-O and everyone's been a joy to watch for dif reasons so i suggest giving them all a try if you haven't cus they are all worth it in the end i mean def better then whats on tv here in the states
KillerGazebo
Gao
Quote: Now...count up your sins!

Post by KillerGazebo »

If you want to watch a Kamen Rider series that focuses very heavily on the story then this is a good series to watch. I'll admit the staff change around episode 30 made the writing not as good as the first 29 episodes but the show is still definitely worth watching.
Completed: Faiz, Blade, Hibki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger
Watching: Fourze, Gobusters, Akibaranger

Return to “Kamen Rider Hibiki”