Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Re: Hibiki Series Discussion

Post by dancercotillion »

I really enjoyed this series, as well. Myself, I don't have siblings and I mostly grew up without a father figure, so I suppose I identified very strongly with Asumu in that regard.

As the series progressed, I found myself quite enjoying the themes of "growing-up" and "finding your own path". As much as I think it'd've been cool to see Asumu become an Oni, I actually prefer the way it ended in that regard, where Hibiki tells him it's ok to do his own thing. He's still in training to save people, but in a way better suited to his temper. And I like that.

Zanki gives Todoroki the same message, incidently, when he tells him that one does not have to transform into an Oni to live like one, in that an Oni always must fight to overcome himself. I felt this was a really good message for the series to hold up, because it's important for people (not just kids) to understand that.

I really enjoyed how Hibiki was not like Kenzaki or Takumi. Those were guys who stumbled into their powers, really, and were green as unripe bananas in the start. Hibiki, by contrast, was older and had been doing this for years. So there was none of that "how do I shot Ongeki?" nonsense that can get infuriating sometimes. Which was great. He really hit the ground running (straight at a giant spider) in that regard. And like takenoko said, there was no Rider vs. Rider conflict. I think that comes about because the Oni all made that choice, if you follow? They didn't just FIND a belt or a deck of cards, or get turned into a cyborg by an evil organization or whatever the hilarious plot device is.

I disliked Kiriya. He felt very, very forced; like the new writers looked back and decided that Hibiki just wasn't enough like 555. "C'mon, let's just put Kusaka in there. He'll totally fit in the theme and general tone of this show!" Maybe Asumu was progressing too fast, so they needed to throw a wrench into his ability to develop by introducing a total cockbag of a character to hold him back. I don't know, but I didn't really quite understand where he was coming from. (And don't get me started on his lavender and white transformation. Eek.)

The movie was really dull, too. Missed the point of the series completely.

Other than those two things? Awesome show. I wish I had met a guy like Hibiki when I was a kid; might've made my teens a lot easier.
shadowblade330
Infinity
Favorite series: Faiz, Ace
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Anime

Post by shadowblade330 »

I enjoyed the show. It did seem like it was lacking. I was a little dissappoineted in all the changes. Hibiki was a cool character, Kiriya was a little annoying but he wasnt all too bad. Ibuki and Todorki made the show enjoyable, just wished they could have showed the other riders more. I feel the series could have been better.
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Danki, Sabaki, Eiki, and whoever else they may have showed from time to time were just in the series as cannon fodder and to show that their organization whose name escapes me at the moment had more Oni working for them than just Hibiki, Ibuki, and Todoroki.
AmienZero
NagoSan
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Favorite Band: Instrumental Music
Quote: SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!

Post by AmienZero »

it's either Takashi, or the bigger one Yashino.
"Untouchable Spirit! Rin-Jyu T-Rex-ken!"

SILENCE! I KEEL YOU! *evil stare*
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

AmienZero wrote:it's either Takashi, or the bigger one Yashino.
The organization, Takeshi, is located IN Yoshino.
Shinokawa_chrisU
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Shinokawa_chrisU »

Just finished watching the whole series a few days ago (great subbing as usual TVN!!)

overall i like it and the growing up & find your own way thingy is kinda cool
too bad they didnt show how hibiki sealed orochi and to my surprise the strongest hime & douji in the show happened to be a creation of another 'hime & douji' in the last episode

and 1 more thing that i dont really like is how hibiki abuse his souko form too much and the makamou died to easily towards the end...nice design though for the souko form, and i think the plot is kinda shallow
but yeah all rider series has its own plus and minus

todoroki is just funny, the girls are such an eyecandy :mrgreen:
gong7000000
Gao

Post by gong7000000 »

hibiki showed me something i have never seen before in previous rider series. even though the majority disliked it, i feel this rider series is my favorite. i would like to see a sequel made for hibiki maybe a few years later when hibiki himself is failing.

it sucked when hibiki stopped using his fire breath and wolverine claws in battle. it was good when each rider had relationship problems.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

its because the parents of the children complained to the show saying those "features" of the riders were to graphic.

takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Tuss4 wrote:its because the parents of the children complained to the show saying those "features" of the riders were to graphic.
Stabby stabby. Do you know that for a fact or is that a theory that someone just came up with?

It could have been like the saucer separation from Next Generation, something planned to do frequently but just never got around to it.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Don't know bout fact, but I remember the wiki page saying something along those lines.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

It's unsourced, and the discussion page hasn't been posted on in more than a year. The closest I could find to a reference is that it might be a translation from the Japanese Wiki's Hibiki page. I have no idea whether this is true and/or whether the Japanese wiki cites its source, either.
Tuss4
Train man

Post by Tuss4 »

I'm busy rewatching the series, and I still don't like Kiriya's character. It should have been Asumu!

Prairie Dog
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by Prairie Dog »

Finally finished this series just the other day - I watched the film around episode 32 and couldn't muster much enthusiasm to finish the series after that, but I finally managed it. I found the actual ending to the series a disappointment, but the theme of walking your own path in life was a commendable one, especially for something so obviously a heroic fantasy.
I didn't like Kiriya as a character much, to be honest, and I see I'm not alone - am I the only one who thinks his character was where Akira should have been by the end? She was much more interesting as a rival for Asumu in the earlier episodes, but lost something when she became Asumu-lite later in the series, like they really didn't know what to do with her.

The first 30 or so episodes probably make up my favorite Kamen Rider series thus far, but the later stuff kind of lowered the bar. Still a damn good outing, though.
Tuss4
Train man

Post by Tuss4 »

speaking of Asumu, I wish he would grow a pair man. The dude, let Kiriya put him down in front of so many ppl, and Kiriya was a punk ass weak bitch anyway.

On another note, the CGI really got crappy in the later half of the series.

Return to “Kamen Rider Hibiki”