Are your videos coming out squished or stretched?

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Are your videos coming out squished or stretched?

Post by takenoko »

Sometimes when we encode, we don't use the correct settings. Most the time these settings are ignored anyway, but there are some video players that will go "hey, this video should be a certain aspect ratio" and will distort your video.

Luckily there's an easy program to modify the header of your video

http://www.moitah.net/

Just set your video to square pixels, and that should fix it. (Note, this will modify the data of your video, thus changing the crc. So you shouldn't redistribute your video if you modify it)

Can I get a list of videos that are affected by this problem? Maybe we'll just fix them all and let the old videos fade out of the collection.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

i think it mainly affected some of the later Faiz and Blade episodes, I'm not sure which ones they are, I guess I could dig the out and have a look, I don't think I come across it on any other series
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Elk
Number 6
Number 6

Re: Are your videos coming out squished or stretched?

Post by Elk »

Is there an app I can use to fix this on Linux? There are also episodes of Magiranger affected by this.
SolarGomz
Go Go!
Favorite series: KR Faiz, Abaranger
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito, Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka
Favorite Actor?: Handa Kento
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Animation!

Post by SolarGomz »

Episodes 44-50end of Faiz. I have been rewatching the series and got to this episode and decided to check and see if there was a thread concerning this problem, luckly I found it right here! As for other series I don't think they have this problem but I will be sure to keep an eye out if I come across it again.

So how do I fix this problem with those Faiz episodes so that it is not squashed and strecthed? Do I do what takenoko said in the first post to get the episodes fixed? Or have these epiosdes been fixed already and replaced on The Faiz download thread?

Either way if I have to fix it myself it's cool, if the epiosdes are fixed and replaced on the Faiz page then thats cool too.
With Great Power Comes the Ability To Kick Butt!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Most video players allow you to change the aspect ratio. Just do that
SolarGomz
Go Go!
Favorite series: KR Faiz, Abaranger
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito, Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka
Favorite Actor?: Handa Kento
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Animation!

Post by SolarGomz »

takenoko wrote:Most video players allow you to change the aspect ratio. Just do that
Ha ha! Thanks Takenoko! It figures you think about doing everything the hard way first and then you either discover or learn from someone else the simple way and then everything works out just fine, lol! I switched the Aspect Ratio to 16:9 and now everything looks just fine! Ha ha! Thanks again dude!
With Great Power Comes the Ability To Kick Butt!
Mastersydneymon
Go Go!
Favorite series: Every one

Blade episode errors

Post by Mastersydneymon »

Hello

The other day I downloaded some episodes of Blade, and I have to say that episodes 5 to 17 have like some type of screen size error.

They look like as if they were smaller than 16:9 .

Bye
I am Divine and at the top of everything
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Mastersydneymon wrote:Hello

The other day I downloaded some episodes of Blade, and I have to say that episodes 5 to 17 have like some type of screen size error.

They look like as if they were smaller than 16:9 .

Bye
yes they are, its due to the techniques used to encode back then, VLC has the ability to correct the AR while watching it, just press A while watching till you get the correct AR
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Xiaou
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: DCD
Dreamy: Takenoko lol
Favorite Actor?: None They're all ok.
Favorite Band: RadWimps
My boom: ... T-N
Quote: Let's Go! find some Das Vagania

Kamen Rider: Blade - Viewing Issue

Post by Xiaou »

recently I've been watching Kamen Rider: Blade that was Subbed by you guys of course.
and when i reached a certain episode.
it stretched beyond it's original dimensions.
is something wrong with VLC?

EDIT:
here's the issue

Currently Watching From T-N:
Kamen Rider: W, Blade, Hibiki, 555.
Super Sentai: Shinkenger, Go-Onger, GekiRanger.
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Easy fix: go to Video>Aspect Ratio>16:9. I think that's the command line. Anyway, there's a way to adjust the aspect ratio in VLC, just hunt around for it.
HyperRangerFinish

Post by HyperRangerFinish »

Right click > video > aspect ratio > 16:9

I've been trying to get some working on the PS3, funnilly enough the ones I couldn't get working are all stretched, so I'm going to try the method in the first post and see if if fixes them.
HyperRangerFinish

So I'm woking my way on to another series (Den-O) and have noticed the same thing happening on my PS3 (something I currently haven't mentioned) which was happening with Faiz. Long story short, the video is too big for my TV screen (I'm watching in SD) and there's parts missing from the top and bottom. I noticed Den-O (at least the HD versions) isn't the same file type as Faiz so I can't use the program in the first post to alter the aspect ratio. Is there a way I can modify these files so I can make the video fill the screen to my TVs specifications? This isn't really a problem on your end as it's likely due to my TV simply not being the right size and shape to show everything (video displays fine in VLC), or the PS3 not wanting to alter the aspect ratio, and I can actually see the subs so it's not crippling. But it would be nice to see everything, provided there's a way I can modify it. It's funny lol, because I can switch the PS3 to 4:3, it will let me see the whole picture in letterbox mode as well as give the the zoom function, however zoom simply makes it the same size as it does on 16:9 and in 16:9 I get no options to adjust the display at all.

Besides that, your HD episodes look absolutely fantastic, especially on my SDTV via RGB! Usually the PS3 doesn't allow you to view DVDs in RGB as the screen goes green. But actually having something in a digital format on the HDD allows you to bypass this with unbelievable results, it looks great!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's overscan which we can't really do anything about.
HyperRangerFinish

Phoenix512 wrote:It's overscan which we can't really do anything about.
Cool, I'll live! Like I say it's nothing major but if it was something I could fix it was worth a try. Right now I think I'm getting the absolute maximum quality out of an SDTV I possibly can so there's nothing at all to complain about...
SilverFire
Adventure
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: MBI Juspion
Dreamy: Tammy from Shaider NG
Favorite Actor?: Keji Ohba
Favorite Band: Crush 40
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: People piloting giant robots
Quote: Now, count up your sins.

Post by SilverFire »

takenoko wrote:Most video players allow you to change the aspect ratio. Just do that

So by changing the aspect ratio on my 360 would make the image less big? What I mean by that is the footage is so stretched that long subbed sentences sometimes get slightly cut of. Not badly cause its still readable but the footage seems very "zoomed."

Edit: I change the files to MP4 format so I can watch them on Real Player or my 360 if that makes a difference.

Return to “Playback Help”