Samsung Smart TV

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana
Alignment: Neutral Good

Samsung Smart TV

Post by HIDragonstar »

The Samsung Smart TV allows you to hook up a External USB drive to it. I've actually been using it as a way to show my nephew some Japanese Anime/Toku from TV-Nihon.

I was wondering what had changed in the codecs for Transformers Super Link.

The DVD shows (#1 - 7) actually do NOT run, while the older shows do run.
I find it a little strange that the older stuff runs, but the DVD ones don't.

Same thing with Chou Sei Shin.
Gransazer will run, but Justi and Sazer-X doesn't.

I'm kinda video illiterate and can't figure out where to find the codec on the video and compare them, but I'm curious if anyone else has played with a SmartTV as well.
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Samsung Smart TV

Post by takenoko »

It's all about the personal settings each encoder uses.

I guess somewhere along the line, we started using codec settings that were less compatible than standard.

There also might be a problem with a bug where the splash picture doesn't work since there's no audio or something. You can try clipping that out with Virtualdub in direct stream mode to see if it works without the splash pic.

Not much can be done to fix it without just entirely reencoding things.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I dunno what types of files Samsung Smart TV works with, but I use a program it's called 'Freeware' something or other and I used it to convert some of the older TV-Nihon releases like Faiz and Blade to work on my PS3. So maybe you could that to find a format that works on your TV
bowspearer
Go Go!
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by bowspearer »

If it helps, in terms of Super Sentai, I can tell you exactly what will and wont play on a Smart TV. Hopefully this will help narrow down codecs and help some of us fix the problem, as I came here looking for this thread as I'm having problems myself in this regard - specifically with Boukenger, Dekaranger and Magiranger.

From what I can work out, the changeover between an incompatible codec and a compatible one seems to have happened between Boukenger and Gekiranger. I'm also presuming here that this is the domain of the staff member working as the encoder, who in this case would appear to be Kingranger, going by the credits - peculiarly on both sides of the transition. Also to put a date on this, it looks like the transition happened at the beginning of March 2007, going by the spreadsheet on the wiki.

As such, my questions would be these:

1) Is Kingranger still contactable?

2) If Kingranger is contactable, what codecs did they use in Boukenger and what was it replaced with when the team moved to Gekiranger?

And finally

3) Are there any readily available, and preferably free, programs that could be used to transcode the problem episodes?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I'm sure Kingranger is out there on the internet somewhere. I haven't kept in touch with him personally.

Everything from 2004 to about 2009ish has been xvid, the only thing is that there are different ways to configure the settings. Add on top of that the different ways of adding splash pictures to the video.

The easiest way to reencode an avi file is probably to use Virtualdub, which is free: http://virtualdub.org/

I think Handbrake is another name that I hear thrown around a lot?

Our current mp4 format videos are fairly compatible with a lot of machines. If you put the videos on a usb stick with the folder marked Video, a PS3 can play them no problem.
bowspearer
Go Go!

Post by bowspearer »

Cheers for that. Funnily enough, I have virtualdub, but of late, my results have tended to be "mixed" when using it. Is there any chance of Phoenix512 taking a look at it and seeing what the best config for reencoding would be? What would be really awesome is a reencoding guide, but I realise you guys would be too busy to do that with the amount of stuff you have to sub and encode on top of RL.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I would just imagine that re-encoding it in Xvid in Vdub would solve the problem. I don't think there's special config for it. Just load the video in Vdub, go to Video -> Compression and select Xvid in the list but make sure you actually install the actual Xvid codec or otherwise it won't be there.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Also probably wise to use something like Constant Quality 5 or 6 to minimize loss of quality
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
geno
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by geno »

Well first and foremost for folks to better help find a solution to this issue it would help to know the exact model of Samsung Smart TV, though by the same token looking it up should provide what formats it supports for playback.

If after checking supported formats and checking your files for playback then depending on the results of that then look into other issues.

You can also hook your computer to your TV and use it as a second monitor

For an example I've got a LG Blu-Ray player model BP-730 plays all of the most common video files I've found. I've got a friend who has a Samsung BD-F5900 and it doesn't play quite as many formats though given the price difference that could be the reason.
bowspearer
Go Go!

Post by bowspearer »

Phoenix512 wrote:I would just imagine that re-encoding it in Xvid in Vdub would solve the problem. I don't think there's special config for it. Just load the video in Vdub, go to Video -> Compression and select Xvid in the list but make sure you actually install the actual Xvid codec or otherwise it won't be there.
Any chance I could get a hand on this in terms of you giving me feedback while I do various attempts.
geno wrote:You can also hook your computer to your TV and use it as a second monitor
Unfortunately that isn't feasible in terms of room layout in one location and it would require a prohibitively long HDMI cable in another location.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Here's the settings we used around 2008. Not sure if these are compatible with your tv though:

bowspearer
Go Go!

Post by bowspearer »

Cheers for that. I'll be trying this during my mid semester break in a few weeks so I'll see how it goes then. Also did you get my PM re helping out with the capper?

Return to “Playback Help”