Encoding Program Help

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Heeeennnssshhhiiiiiiinnn...!!!

Encoding Program Help

Post by Dark Ren »

Hello good folks of TV-N.

Recently I got tons of files (300-ish episodes) of certain old series I follow for a long time. I have 3 problems about the files and I think I need to re-encode them.
1. The files are in mkv. And the subs are kind of terrible (Uppercase, not timing correctly, etc). I dont really need the subs, so I think I want to get rid of it.
2. The videos are like DVD quality, H.264, 2.200 Kbps bitrate. But the filesize is kind of huge (400+ Mb) which I think is too big. I want the files like 196 or 236 Mb-ish like your SD release.
3. The video size varies from 718 x 476 to 718 x 484 with AR 159:121. I just want them to be plain 640 x 480.

I can get rid of the subs using MKVtoolnix, and encode them using HandBrake which I'm familiar with. But the output from handbrake was kind of disappointing, the filesize is vary and I can't change the video size to 640 x 480 for 718 x 476 size (the closest result is 640 x 476).

Is there any good encoding program to fix those 3 problems at once? get rid of subs, lower and constant filesize without decreasing too much about video quality, and constant video size. Doing twice (MKVToolnix then HandBrake) need a lot of time for 300-ish files.

Oh and the mkv files comes with chapters. I hope I can keep them in the new encoded files (I prefer mp4).

Any help, advice and assistance would be greatly appreciated :) .
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Encoding Program Help

Post by takenoko »

I'm not too familiar with Handbrake, but I do see you can set the Avg Bitrate (under video) This will let you control how big the file size is.

For fixing stuff like file size, we usually run it through the AVIsynth script which runs some filters over the video before feeding it to the encoding program. I'm surprised handbrake doesn't have a resize function.

The subs will go away once you get rid of the mkv container, I don't think that'll be an issue.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It's possible to keep the chapters but you'd probably have to re-integrate them manually. WMP just doesn't want to play chapters at all though.

For all those problems you'll probably need more than one program though.
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Dark Ren »

Well, I'm bad with script :lol: . I prefer the one with GUI, though.

I dont mind losing the chapters, btw. Can you name the program, Luna?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

You can actually do it all with Handbrake. I actually did a test just now with the program and can tell you what you need to do.

1. At the Picture tab, you want to select Custom Anamorphic. That will make the Height selection ungray and thus entering your own custom height.

2. Go to the Video tab, select Constant Framerate. Variable Framerate is the worst thing you can do.

3. While at the Video tab, select Average Bitrate and check the box for 2 Pass. For the number you want, I think somewhere around 900-1000 would be ideal for you.

You don't need MKVToonix since the only way to get the subs is to actually add them in. On default, subs aren't added automatically in Handbrake. Also it can read chapters and put them in.
Dark Ren
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Dark Ren »

Sweet :D :D :D It works like a charm. Thank you for the help :wink:

Return to “Playback Help”