Don't Know What Video player to Use

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Don't Know What Video player to Use

Post by erikhol »

OK, I downloaded Shinkenger episode 12. Now I want to watch it. I have Windows Media player, but it says it can't play on that. I tried "search for player on the web" - and it says it doesn't recognise the file, and can't come up with a player.

What do I need to play this? Please provide a link to what to download to be able to play it. I'm not versed in any kind of torrent process at all.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Don't Know What Video player to Use

Post by jonty »

The simplest answer is to download either vlc or gomplayer. Those are stand-alone players, meaning that once you download one you should, under most circumstances, be able to watch video files without having to download anything else.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

jonty wrote:The simplest answer is to download either vlc or gomplayer. Those are stand-alone players, meaning that once you download one you should, under most circumstances, be able to watch video files without having to download anything else.

I downloaded the GOM player. When I tried to play the Shinkenger episode on it, it says I need a CODEC. I don't know what that is, and it's "Find Codec" button doesn't find anything.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

Are you sure you're using gom? Does the window look like this?

Gom should work straightaway with the way t-n videos are encoded.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

jonty wrote:Are you sure you're using gom? Does the window look like this?

Gom should work straightaway with the way t-n videos are encoded.
Yes, exactly that. But with "Cannot Play Media File". I also just tried the other service, and all it seemed to download was a music player.

I was told this would be extremely easy. I was made fun of for previously using Veoh.com to watch NTV videos. Now that I'm actually trying to download this the way you guys suggested - nothing will work and nothing will play.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

Okay, calm down. There's no need to get upset.
Can you tell me where you downloaded the shinkenger episode? I'm now thinking there might be something wrong with that.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

jonty wrote:Okay, calm down. There's no need to get upset.
Can you tell me where you downloaded the shinkenger episode? I'm now thinking there might be something wrong with that.
http://tvnihon.com/tracker/torrents-details.php?id=892

That's the page I got it from.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

How big is the file you downloaded?
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

Lunagel wrote:How big is the file you downloaded?
I check Properties, and it says the size is 19.1 KB
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You downloaded the torrent file, not the actual video itself.

Open the torrent file in whatever torrent program you have (utorrent is an easy one to figure out) and it will download the file for you. That is the actual video file.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

EDIT: Whoops, took too long. Well, read this anyway, I guess:

Oh, okay, I see what the problem is. The file that you're downloading isn't actually the video. It's what's called a torrent file. It's essentially a small little file that lets you download the one you're actually after.

To use that torrent file to get the episode you want, you have to use a separate kind of utility called a bit torrent program. I use utorrent, but other ones include bittornado and vuze. I think for pure ease of use bittornado might be the right choice (??? I really don't know0

If the whole torrent thing is too complicated for you, I would recommend going to the direct download section. There you'll find links to our files that have been uploaded to websites like megaupload and sendspace for direct download. It's simpler, but the downsides include, among other things, that you'll usually get slower download speeds and that they are not uploaded until a day or two after the initial torrent release. Shinken 12 hasn't been uploaded yet, but you might want to download an earlier episode to test it out.

Also, fair warning: these are video files and accordingly are on the large size (200-300 MBs). There's going to be some waiting involved for someone who's used to streaming videos.
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

Lunagel wrote:You downloaded the torrent file, not the actual video itself.

Open the torrent file in whatever torrent program you have (utorrent is an easy one to figure out) and it will download the file for you. That is the actual video file.
OK, I did that. I'd downloading something now.

Thank you for the help.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

Damn, Luna, you're making me look bad XD
erikhol
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by erikhol »

jonty wrote:EDIT: Whoops, took too long. Well, read this anyway, I guess:

Oh, okay, I see what the problem is. The file that you're downloading isn't actually the video. It's what's called a torrent file. It's essentially a small little file that lets you download the one you're actually after.

To use that torrent file to get the episode you want, you have to use a separate kind of utility called a bit torrent program. I use utorrent, but other ones include bittornado and vuze. I think for pure ease of use bittornado might be the right choice (??? I really don't know0

If the whole torrent thing is too complicated for you, I would recommend going to the direct download section. There you'll find links to our files that have been uploaded to websites like megaupload and sendspace for direct download. It's simpler, but the downsides include, among other things, that you'll usually get slower download speeds and that they are not uploaded until a day or two after the initial torrent release. Shinken 12 hasn't been uploaded yet, but you might want to download an earlier episode to test it out.

Also, fair warning: these are video files and accordingly are on the large size (200-300 MBs). There's going to be some waiting involved for someone who's used to streaming videos.

And the dirrect downloading is the same quality? (That might be easier for me.) The utorrent things is download it, but it seems slow as well (it's only at 10% right now)

Thank you very much for your help.

Can I suggest something. Put all this kind of information, and links, somewhere on your main page. A lot of people like me have never delt with this kind of stuff before, and a simple guide (pointing out the need for utorrent and the option of dirrect downloading) could save a lot of confusion. I was getting very frustrated, and it just makes it harder when you feel like you're going to made fun of for not knowing things. (Like, previously, I didn't know what streaming was or why streaming wasn't liked)

Thank you for your help.
jonty
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by jonty »

Yes, the direct download gives you the exact same file.

FYI, there is a playback guide on our forums. I guess a downloading guide could be useful....

Return to “Playback Help”