TN files do work on a playstation 3 (ps3)

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

TN files do work on a playstation 3 (ps3)

Post by takenoko »

I just tested it. I put the files on a USB drive, stuck it in the player

In the video playback part, you have to hit TRIANGLE. This allows you to see all the files on the stick. If you don't, the PS3 will give you a "Files not found error"

If this doesn't work for you, you might need to convert:
http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=558
strawhatcapn
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Band: My Chemical Romance
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Re: TN files do work on a playstation 3 (ps3)

Post by strawhatcapn »

Yeah, but what works even better is to put the files in a folder named "Video" then you don't have to hit TRIANGLE and then Display All. The HD versions of decade play perfectly... Ryuki (the only other series i've tried atm), does not.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I haven't tried Ryuki, but Decade and Shinkenger do, and they're in the same format. Do you mind if I ask what version you're on?
Ramo2653
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: 555

Post by Ramo2653 »

All the Decade episodes work fine for me (SD and HD versions), but just to test I tried some Kiva and Kabuto episodes.

Some episodes work, some don't (Episodes 45, 47 & 48 of Kiva work but 46 doesn't) and I'm using the newest PS3 update.

So I assume you guys are doing something different with the encoding now?
Skinwalker
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Sh15uya
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey The Live
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: X-23

Post by Skinwalker »

Good to hear... My friend sent me an external hard drive with every Kamen Rider episode TV-Nihon subbed so far (my connection and hard drive size isn't very good), so I'll be sure to test it out.
strawhatcapn
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by strawhatcapn »

Version 2.76
Take: I'll test with all the TN files I have (all the henshin stuff) and report back what does and doesn't work. 1TB external drives ftw!

To PS3 users who might start whining about external drives and mem sticks, note that they need to be FAT32 formatted and not NTFS. Learned this from formatting a FreeBSD drive to play WoW on my ps3... And my wii <.<;;
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ramo2653 wrote:Some episodes work, some don't (Episodes 45, 47 & 48 of Kiva work but 46 doesn't) and I'm using the newest PS3 update.
So I assume you guys are doing something different with the encoding now?
Not really. But I just got a PS3, so I wanted to do a test to see if I could play our videos on there. It's possible that something got encoded differently for 46 that messed it up if 45, 47-48 work fine. Overall I don't think I've done anything different in the encoding since Geki

Edit: I mainly did the news post because when I tried to play the videos, I hit X and it gave me the "no files found" error, and basically gave up. I figured other people were doing the same thing. There might be legitimate computability issues too, but I didn't want people getting caught by some dumb programming on Sony's part
strawhatcapn
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by strawhatcapn »

takenoko wrote:
Edit: I mainly did the news post because when I tried to play the videos, I hit X and it gave me the "no files found" error, and basically gave up. I figured other people were doing the same thing. There might be legitimate computability issues too, but I didn't want people getting caught by some dumb programming on Sony's part
Playstation 3: Physical Media
1. Easy as pie. If you're using a USB flash or hard disc or an SD or CF card, just dump all of your videos into a folder named VIDEO on the root of the drive and they'll show up automatically in the XMB.
2. You can also browse the entire drive or disc by pressing triangle and choosing "Display All" to find videos that aren't in the VIDEO folder.

this is from http://gizmodo.com/5096103/a-complete-g ... 360-or-wii
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Right. Point one was pointed out earlier in the thread and point 2 is what started this thread in the first place
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Some of them do, plenty don't. PS3s are really picky about what they play. Aspect ratio sometimes is a factor. When I was watching Faiz I copied an assortment over; the early ones wouldn't play, roughly the middle of the show would, the last third wouldn't.
Azuran
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Blade,RKD,GARO,FnK
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O,Kiva
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Azuran »

The hitting triangle trick will of course let you browse as per normal, and even then, lots of TVN titles will show up, however, some say data not supported, or you will see the file info. Even on some of the ones that display the info, you try to play it and it will not. The newer decade and shinkenger HD releases work on it perfectly, but like, pretty much anything Kiva or Den-O won't play, Blade won't play past ep 5... IT's really hit or miss, but i'm glad everything is standardized now. I even converted all of Blade to watch on my PS3 regardless.
AncientLemurian
7X
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Daimon Rinko
Favorite Actor?: Takayama Yuko
My boom: Tetris

Post by AncientLemurian »

New to the forum.

I have a PS3 Model CECHE01 MG, with the software updated to 2.76 just yesterday. Before, it was at 2.60, and I was able to play several episodes of Keitai Sousakan 7 fine, but some of the earlier ones read as "Unsupported Data". When using VLC Media Player on my computer for the SD stuff, since my computer is rather old now, they all work 100% perfectly. I tried playing Decade 01 HD before I updated my firmware, and it was a no-go. I'll try it again later on and see if there is a difference. I trust that later on playback funcionality will be improved with a later update. Once I get another hard drive to work with, I'll be able to start getting more TV-Nihon subs, and start listing which ones don't work on my end. (Of course with VLC on my computer, it's always 100%)

I love the site, I love the shows, Go-onger being one of my favorites. At first I thought the talking engines were a little weird, but they grew on me and now I love 'em even more!

Now I only have a SD television, but I can still test out the HD playback using my PS3, and let you know (assuming I get another hard drive). :D
gnomekingofpain
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
My boom: gachapon
Quote: Needs must when the devil drives.

Post by gnomekingofpain »

We end up bouncing between using the PS3, Xbox 360, and Macbook to play shows on our TV. I prefer using the consoles since it saves the hassle of hooking up the laptop to the TV, plus it means I can still use the mac to look up info on the episodes while they are on (i.e. Have I seen that actor before?). My first choice is always the PS3. It has the lowest compatibility but in our experience, if a file plays at all, it will play smoothly. And I prefer the PS3 remote and interface options. When that fails, which is way too often, I try the 360. The Xbox will play a lot more files than the PS3. However, our Xbox is far more likely to suffer slow down or other playback issues than the PS3. This is especially true with TVN files for some reason. The thing that tends to happen on with TVN files is that the sound will go out of sync with the video, which we have never experienced on the computer or PS3. A friend of mine thinks it has less to due with differences in processing power between the consoles and more to do with how much of the system resources (memory and what not) the console programmers are allowing the video playback software to access in each of the consoles. All I know is I wish Sony would improve playback compatibility on the PS3 so I could use it more as I work through the TVN back catalog of older shows. (I do not however believe that that Sony will bother to expand compatibility in further updates. It was a smart feature to add as a sales bullet point, but since they are a business I would expect further resources to be allocated to updates that focus on areas that they have monetized.)

Much thanks on having the new HD files multicompatible.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

gnomekingofpain wrote:We end up bouncing between....
http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=62427#p62427

If you're having PS3 compatibility issues you can use these steps to convert the files on your mac. I've never had a problem with video on my PS3 after converting them to MP4 with this free program.
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
gnomekingofpain
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
My boom: gachapon
Quote: Needs must when the devil drives.

Post by gnomekingofpain »

Oh sure conversion is always an option (do to various projects I think I have about ended up with about four programs that can do the conversion) but since we have other means to watch on the TV without taking the time and trouble of converting them I rarely bother. I just like using the PS3 or Xbox 360 when i can (easily) since it frees up my laptop.

Tonight we just finished up Blade (on the Xbox 360). We decided to go back to Ryuki next. My DVD with episodes 1-16 burned only popped up with episodes 13-16 playable on the PS3 (standard unsupported message on the rest) so it looks like we are sticking with the Xbox 360 for awhile yet.

Return to “Playback Help”