Re-encode GMC afflicted episodes!

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
Solidus
UNKNOWN HARD ERROR!
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Blade
Dreamy: Mika, Ran
Favorite Actor?: Cobb
Favorite Band: LCD Soundsystem
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: shiny objects

Post by Solidus »

Well, dunno how recent your TV and/or computer are, but you can buy long-ass cables. I have a LCD projector that uses S-video (when the bulb dies I'm gonna step up to an HDMI one) and since it's a projector it's behind the sofa etc like a movie theater. I was able to get a long ass S-video cable for not very much money at all. I could have gotten a long VGA cable and done it that way but they were a lot more money and not really worth it to watch upsized .AVI's. :lol:

Check the back of your computer for an S-video jack (it's round, and probably yellow in color and near your monitor jack)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Laptop. It's portable entertainment system
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I feel everyone's pain about not being able to play our releases on set top dvd players. I believe it was 2 options that prevented the viewing on set top players: qpel and gmc.I personally wish all our releases would play on these players. I try to make all my encodes comply to this standard. Unfortunately there is no easy solution to all this for many reasons:

1: Our first couple years of releases were released before they were any dvd players that supported divx/xvid. Thus they were encoded without those players in mind.

2: Every encoder encodes their project their way and heaven forbid you tell someone how to encode. Some encoders are stubborn about the way they encode and we've had a few of them over the years. We even had a problem with an encoder adherring to the naming standard.

3: The splashes we put on the front of our encodes initially causeed audio synching problems when playing back on those players. This problem was eventually solved though numerous releases were released this way, pretty much everything that came out during Kabuto's run and a little bit before. This is easily corrected though if you simply cut out the splash but then you have to worry about if the encoder encoded with qpel and gmc options enabled.

What i use to do when i lived in my apartment was output my pc to my tv through a s-video connection. My computer was in the same room though. When i bought a house and my pc is now upstairs in its own room and the tv downstairs that was no longer an option so then i used a laptop instead. Eventually i bought a new hd tv that had a pc connection option which i now use. It works good and is probably the best solution for you. It's not really realistic to ask us to reecode all those series for many reasons (time, materials no longer available, etc). Plus there are always going to be problems with those players. For example now a lot of fansubbers are releasing in mkv which no player will play as well. If anyone else has any insight as well please post.
dvdvision
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Thank you Sandman and everyone!

Post by dvdvision »

Sandman,
Thank you so very much for addressing my concerns, and understanding my frustrations. I also want to thank everyone who weighed in on this topic. Your kind suggestions were greatly appreciated.
At this time, I have decided to re-encode problem episodes into the DivX format. This seems to be the best and easiest fix for the GMC errors I have encountered.
I too share your frustration. As I have learned via my own site, when you have a volunteer force, you can't guarantee everyone works the same. I hope that the new shows have as few issues as Kamen Rider 555 did (converting 7 episodes instead of 40 is a lot less time consuming).
I look forward to Kamen Rider Kiba and Go-Onger. I hope that everyone at TVN and on the board is a excited as I am.
Best wishes and have a Happy New Year!!
Matt
Kuuga
Gao

Post by Kuuga »

@ Solidus

My videocard has a outgoing S-video jack , so I'm gonna look into that long cable you've suggested ... :wink:

@ takenoko

Maybe Santa Claus will put a laptop under my Xmas tree ... well , you never know ... :D
Kuzuryuzen
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Supporting Standalone dvd players and tv-Nihon

Post by Kuzuryuzen »

I have the same problem with a Sony Bravia Divx Certified and, uhmm well, some subs. I really thank TV-nihon for delivering us subs of the series that we love, and I understand that they only do that on a PC standard. But there is some people like me that doesn't have a laptop or a PC and we donwload your subs at a friend's house and still enjoy them, that's why we are concerned. It's not a request from us but a favour we pray with the NEW series so we may enjoy them, if you could, please... People asking for old subs to be reencoded are dreaming, I would like to but..., Tv-Nihon staff already had done an excellent work and like they told us before, that was a time without divx standalone players so, we only can do it ourselves, I hope they could give us some tips in the forums to do it right, what kind of software and options or setup do we need to make a good reencoding for standalone divx players we can make our own tests and post the results so we can grow as a community.

I know Tv-nihon is PC oriented well someone told that in an earlier post, but I thought there was a greater motive, I thought it was "From Fans, for Fans", well I'm a fan who wants to cooperate to deliver this series to people here in my country who likes toku and sentai (and obviusly can understand english subs) but not everybody here can afford an internet connection, like me. I'm from Lima-Peru and as a fan I want that sentence and ideal be true and help those who can't afford a PC be ready to watch them in their DVD players (because here a DVD player costs like 100 Nuevos soles, more or less US$33.00 at money exchange the cheapers and can play divx movies.)

I understand that Tv-nihon can't accept everybody's request for each one of their needs or problems, but obviusly they have their dvd standalone fans here, or there won't be any Topic like this right now and I consider is something to be observed in the near future, I wan't to help like I told before.

And like Celia Cruz says: " Sorry if my english is no very good looking" Lime I tol you I'm from peru and all the people here speaks spanish.

Thanks a lot.

Kuzuryuzen
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I've started encoding with GMC or qpel on. Please let me know if there are issues or significant quality drops with this. The two recent Honey releases and Geki 41 should reflect these changes.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Actually it appeared that Honey's quality did sort of go down just a smidge. That was something I noticed lastnight when I made you that one clip.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Sandman

Re: Re-encode GMC afflicted episodes!

Post by Sandman »

I was doing some research on some encoding with standalone players in mind and came across this:

Reasons for Incompatibility:

As mentioned above, your standalone player will have different criteria to ensure compatibility, but here are some commonly found reasons for incompatibility:

* The FourCC code (the code which tells the player what kind of file is being played) can sometimes be changed to a more common one to ensure better compatibility. For example, many players prefer "dx50" as the FourCC code, rather than "div3" or "xvid", and it's often possible to make files compatible just by changing the FourCC code (without the need to re-encode). Changing the FourCC code is very easy, and you can do this with a simple tool like AVI FourCC Changer.

* Your MPEG-4/DivX/XviD encoded AVI file includes the use of QPEL (quarter pixels) or GMC (global motion compensation). These are frequently used to improve quality of encodings. Generally, if you can ensure your MPEG-4 encoded file fits the ISO MPEG-4 Simple or Advanced Simple profile (without QPEL or GMC), then the chance your file is compatible would improve.

* The resolution of your AVI file is above that supported by the DVD player. DVD players will normally only support up to 720x576 (PAL) and 720x480 (NTSC) resolutions. Even the DVD players that can upscale to high definition may only accept these resolutions, due to the nature of their MPEG-4 decoding chips. A future version of this guide will include instructions on how to use the resize filter to resize the video.

* If your AVI file uses VBR (variable bitrate) MP3s for audio, these are sometimes not supported by your DVD player. A future version of this guide will include instructions on how to re-encode audio to ensure compatibility. The current version of this guide assumes you have an AVI file with CBR (constant bitrate audio) MP3 audio, as otherwise you will may run into problems using VirtualDub (which has limited audio type support).

* When the AVI file is burned to CD/DVD, the burned disc may have to be in a certain format (eg. ISO 9660 for CDs). There may also be bitrate limitations because of the speed the DVD player can read from CD/DVDs. For example, my DVD player only supports 1500 kbit/s (187.5 KB/s) for CDs and 3000 (375 KB/s) kbit/s for burned DVDs. Burned DVDs also have to be less than 4 GB in size for my DVD player.

* There might also be a file size limit. A single AVI file normally shouldn't exceed 2 GB. You can use this guide to cut/split your AVI files.

If you guys want to read up more about it, go here:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/ ... page1.html
Kiva
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Mikie Hara :)

Post by Kiva »

Isn't a Harddisk Mediaplayer a better idea, then messing around with DVD players?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re:

Post by takenoko »

Saejima Kouga wrote:Actually it appeared that Honey's quality did sort of go down just a smidge. That was something I noticed lastnight when I made you that one clip.
Yeah, I've noticed it too, so I've gone back to the old settings.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Awesome. It seemed noticably better in 13, was that the one you did it in, or was that just coincidence? XD
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

How do you watch it on the TV?

I always watch it on my laptop.

How do I know which one on TV and laptop the wire should go in?

My laptop has TV symbol on it which means my laptop can do it right?

But I don't know about my TV?

Also will it fit on TV screen? My laptop always show them small. I never enlarge it to cover the whole screen because it just make the show more blurry.

Forgive me, I am no computer wiz. So please explain it very basic.

I would love to watch Garo on my TV.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, most laptops have a svideo out connector I think which can go into most modern TVs. This is how the connector looks, it's very distinct:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video

From there I think you can set it up to output to TV from Display Propertes -> Settings -> Advanced?

When my computer was broken, I had some quick keys set up to switch between when I was using my laptop and when my laptop was plugged into my monitor
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

How do I know my TV has that feature where you can plug in the S-video?

I can see my laptop has it.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai

Return to “Playback Help”