Which TV media players (i.e. popcorn hour) play TV-N files?

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
Allusion
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Which TV media players (i.e. popcorn hour) play TV-N files?

Post by Allusion »

Hello everyone.

This may be the wrong forum to ask this, and I apologize if so.

I have quite a massive collection of media (a large chunk of which is from TV-N), and I've been looking for a solution to play it back on my TV without using a specific HTPC.

In the past, I used the Western Digital TV HD media player, but the problem is with any series dating 2008 or later (specifically Kamen Rider Kiva onward), there is a very large amount of video lag, and after about 20 seconds, the video becomes unplayable altogether.

I tried the newer model, the WD TV Live, and I have the same issue.

All my other movies work, and really, I'd be willing to buy any media player that would do the trick, so I was hoping someone here, maybe one of the mods or otherwise, might know of a media player that works for your files, or specifically, if there is a slightly more obscure codec that your videos use that I might not be finding in these players (although it looks like, on paper, these players should support almost anything).

Thanks everyone =)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Which TV media players (i.e. popcorn hour) play TV-N files?

Post by takenoko »

I honestly don't know what any of those things are, but do you have a PS3 or an XBOX? Or a laptop that has a connector that can be outputted to a TV?
Allusion
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Allusion »

Yes to all 3 actually.

I'm probably making things more complicated than they really are..haha.

A real quick explaination of what those things are takenoko- the WD TV box is this really small box, completely silent, that you can plug an external hard drive into (or with the new model, stream stuff via lan or a wifi adapter), and play back virtually any video/audio file, with the exception of protected content. This is without jumping through hoops or anything converting files or anything like that. I was using a PC before for the same functionality, but I like the idea of everything just being on external drives for simplicity sake.

Quite honestly, I'm suprised nobody has posted anything about these devices on here before. They are becoming increasingly popular, and cheap too (about $100 for one).

I would just use the XBox or PS3, but both systems so far take extreme offense to my attempting to play a 13gb blu-ray rip in mkv format. This little box spits those out no problem.

Oh and a minor update- I did some looking around and Western Digital's official "answer" to my query is that the files/codecs are supported...they just aren't fully supported...which makes almost no sense to me.
AdamH
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by AdamH »

FWIW, I have had good luck streaming KRW HD and Shinkenger HD to my Samsung BD-P4600 Blu-Ray player over my wireless network.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't know if this is helpful for you, but I've been researching lately how to make my PS3 detect an external HD. It looks like PS3 only recognize external HD's that are formatted in FAT32 format. However, most externals are formatted in NTFS.

So if you want to get an external to recognize it, you'd either need to format the external in FAT32 or install Linux or some other OS on your PS3. I might do the FAT32 thing with one of my older externals just to try it out
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

Just remember size limitations on fat32.
ImageImage
AncientLemurian
7X
Favorite series: Keitai Sousakan 7
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Daimon Rinko
Favorite Actor?: Takayama Yuko
My boom: Tetris

Post by AncientLemurian »

I've become interested in the WD TV players and was wondering if anyone here tested them with any files. Did any files not work at all? I did have that problem with the PS3 on some.

I do know that the players can be updated via firmware, so any luck there?

If all is good, then I just might get one.

Return to “Playback Help”