Older releases playback on PS3/XBox 360

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Re: Older releases playback on PS3/XBox 360

Post by Revorse »

I use PS3 Media Server too, it works pretty well. Blade works on it, and so does Kiva. I know Kabuto has no sound on the media Server. But for the most part PS3 Media Server works pretty great when I can't simply use windows sharing.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Please delete this account.
2nd Favorite Series: Please delete this account.
Dreamy: Please delete this account.
Favorite Actor?: Please delete this account.
Favorite Band: Please delete this account.
My boom: Please delete this account.
Quote: Please delete this account.

Post by D_B »

gatoronfire4lord wrote:Just like take posted on the feed, I use TVersity to stream to my 360.
I am curious why you would use TVersity instead of the Windows Media Center?
There are a few file-types that won't be recognized this way, but I have yet to have a failure to play any TVN release with this method.
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

I've been using PS3 Media Server for quite some time and I really like it. Haven't really had a problem with it yet and I've been using it for like a year. Hope everyone else here has the same success with it that I have.
Nemet
Go Go!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black
2nd Favorite Series: Carranger
Dreamy: Owner
Favorite Actor?: Bruce Campbell
Favorite Band: Rubber
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: CCNA Acronyms @.@
Quote: "A smile is a curve that sets everything straight." --Phyllis Diller

Post by Nemet »

I'm using a jailbroken AppleTV2 running XBMC to stream just about everything over my network. Works great. There's nothing it won't play.
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by D_B »

I spent some time today double checking things, kinda surprised that nobody else talked about it in this thread... but the 360 is actually a much more friendly media player than the PS3.
Now, don't misunderstand me, I am not anti-PS3 by any means. If I want to play the best games with the sexiest graphics, the PS3 and my PC are the only real choices... but I do have THREE 360's in my two bedroom home (one in the living room and one in each bedroom) simply because they are cheap media players (I bought one of mine for $100 from craigslist) that will run nearly every TV show, film and music video that I have thrown at them. The PS3 had issues playing most of my TV shows, performed poorly with those it would play and really annoyed the hell out of me in the process.

Using the 360's Windows Media Center, today I re-watched several of TVN's releases... the first episode of Decade, the first episode of Kiva, the first episode of Den-O, and the intro of a couple episodes of Kabuto (one in the teens, another in the 20's). All were perfectly watchable.

Additionally, I want to point out that I eventually burn all the TVN releases I download to bluray disk for longer term storage than hard drive, and all of these episodes were played directly from my Windows 7 PC's bluray reader (shared with the 360 via Windows Media Center).

If you have a 360, and you want to watch the greatest tokusatsu from the world's greatest fansubbing team on that console... I cannot fathom any reason in the world that this method would not be your first choice for playback. Yes, sometimes the 360's media center browser is laggy. Yes, some of those MKVs and such will not be recognized. No console plays everything 100% perfectly, but the 360 plays almost everything very well.

One place the 360 does fail me really hard... TVN's exceptionally high quality 1080 movie releases. The 720 version usually runs well, but the 1080 just chugs down to unwatchable. The codecs and rendering are 100% compatible, the poor thing just doesn't have the horsepower for that kind of epic-awesomeness.

TL;DR
If you use a 360 (and have a Windows PC), try the Windows Media Center before futzing around with anything else. It just might surprise you how well it will handle pretty much everything from TVN.
OtakuGangsta
Kamen Rider of The Hood
Quote: Go Fuck Yourself, Kisamayatsu!!!

Post by OtakuGangsta »

I've been using PS3MC for the last 5 months it's ok but it has it's ups & downs. The main thing is make sure you play with the setting because if you get them right they'll play everything including MKVs. Also make sure you have a strong pc/net connection because there will be times when shows will lag. So I've noticed that sometimes if shows don't show up i have to restart the app if I don't use it after a few days.

Right now i'm testing out PLEX will test it on some older files to see how well it works.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

For D_B, I wonder if your PC might be one of the limitations for the playback. Since I imagine the PC still has to do the transcoding or whatever right?

I haven't noticed any slowdowns when playing stuff on my PS3, but I have to admit I've only been using the connection TVersity opened up through my router. So it's all wired (wireless card is disabled in my PC).

I have noticed that it takes a moment for the PS3 youtube app to load a video once you select it. I've been really enjoying watching Youtube stuff on my TV this way though. Too bad the app doesn't take USB keyboard as an input option.
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Triple M »

I seem to get a kind of soft picture through ps3 media server, even on 720p content
D_B
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by D_B »

takenoko wrote:For D_B, I wonder if your PC might be one of the limitations for the playback.
Nah, the 360 chugs because it just plain lacks the horsepower to do the job.

The PC I stream from is built around a 4.2 GHz quad core proc with 16 gigs of ram. It's what I use for all my Sony Vegas Pro 12 editing, and it's pretty beastly.

The XBox is great for most stuff, but it just chokes on the fantastic HD movies you fine folks have released in the last couple of years.

Return to “Playback Help”