Older releases playback on PS3/XBox 360

Ask all tech support and help questions for playing our videos here. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR QUESTION WILL BE SOLVED!
Forum rules
First, check to make sure your file is complete by running it through RapidCRC or checking it with a torrent. If it's incomplete, the torrent will fill in the broken parts.

Don't use Quicktime, Realmedia, or WMP to play our files. Basically, they suck, and you're going to have a bad time.

Use VLC, Gom Player, or Media Player Classic with some codec packs installed.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Older releases playback on PS3/XBox 360

Post by Phoenix512 »

Since we get a lot of threads about playback on PS3/XBox 360 with older series, I'm going to answer it and leave it as a sticky.

They don't work because of the encoding practices back in the day making them unworkable without a complete reencode. I believe about all older stuff before 2009 (that we released during the time period) won't work on there but I could be wrong. We're sorry that we aren't going to reencode the older releases to playback on PS3/XBox 360.

Edit: Kabuto episodes apparently work but not God Speed Love.

Edit 2: Super Link and Galaxy Force apparently work as well. So it has to do with who was encoding it at the time not necessary the technology back then. But still, if it's an older release, it probably not going to work.
Ryousha
7X
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Kiva, Kamen Ride: Emperor"

Re: Older releases playback on PS3/XBox 360

Post by Ryousha »

So, using Ps3 Video 9 will still make it play right? I mean the subs are hardsubs. Or will the sound be out of sync? (I think they have an option to fix it back)
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I'm not familiar with the program since I don't own a PS3 but seeing so many threads about these problems, I can tell you this. The main problem with the playback has to do with how the splash was encoded back in the day. Because of the splash, the sound would be out of sync with the whole episode. I think Azazel or someone else can tell you more about it.

Also if you find any older releases that do work, let us know.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

The main playback problem is the use of GMC and QPEL in the releases, these options arnt supported in standalone players as they are more based on DivX which never had the options which means the decoder doesnt have a clue what to do with it and as such refuses to play them.

unfortunately the only way to fix these would be to re-encode them to the correct settings, but that would mean everybodies files would be outdated and people would have to re-download everything again which we dont really want to do.

You might be able to stream them to your ps3, but I dont know how you would do this given i dont own a ps3 to test with
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
typhoon_2099
IXA
Favorite series: MagiRanger
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by typhoon_2099 »

Shinkenger HDs don't work on PS3 either. episode 3 is fine, but 2-6 just come up as corrupt. Which is a bugger, I wis just about to have a big catch up session while I convert a DVD on my laptop.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Thats to do with settings that arnt compatible with the PS3, episode 2 was a re-issue with the correct settings,
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, this thread is mostly about SD's, but early HDs for Decade and Shinkenger are like that, since those were our first series that we did in HD
Master Kashi
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Blade
Favorite Actor?: Kenji Matsuda
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: SH Figuarts

Post by Master Kashi »

Is it possibly for users to re-encode an episode, like putting it through a filter, cause I have a media box and I find it iffy and really want to rectify the problem without burning tons of DVDs. I'm sure other users wouldn't have a problem doing it themselves either.
Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal, you just don't know who I am... yet
Ryouga
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Ryouga »

I just had a thought on this because I used to have issues with a dvd recorder and player with xvid and avi playback, the file was showing in the list but refused to play this wasnt just for TVN releases though but files were hit and miss, anything I encoded myself from dvds worked fine.

So it must be the same for pretty much all oldish media players or ones with licensing issues.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Well, it's more to do with the settings that were used than the age of the technology. Our Xvid encoding for the most part really are the same methods that we used from back in 2004
Xiaou
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: DCD
Dreamy: Takenoko lol
Favorite Actor?: None They're all ok.
Favorite Band: RadWimps
My boom: ... T-N
Quote: Let's Go! find some Das Vagania

Post by Xiaou »

i own a PS3 and i haven't got a Problem with the Kamen Rider Series.
Expect for Ryuki Movie.
it glitch's.

but Kiva didn't work on my mate's PS3
then he Updated his System. and it worked again.
could it be because of the Model?
FAT & SLIM?
Currently Watching From T-N:
Kamen Rider: W, Blade, Hibiki, 555.
Super Sentai: Shinkenger, Go-Onger, GekiRanger.
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Well, Ryuki is a recent project. Do the original Faiz and Blade releases work?
HyperRangerFinish

Post by HyperRangerFinish »

Faiz TV and DVD works on the PS3 (3.55), at least episode 1 does, haven't tried the rest. Tried Kiva and that doesn't work for me (3.55), downloading an episode of Kabuto now to try. Kind of a bummer that most of them don't work as it would be great to have them on my HDD., but it's understandable. So is there no current method to convert them without compromising too much quality?

Thanks for these releases BTW, just came across them, epic stuff!
HyperRangerFinish

Post by HyperRangerFinish »

All the Faiz episodes work on the PS3 all the way up to episode 43, 44 and onwards don't work! :( It must have something to do with aspect ratio because if you watch the videos in VLC with default aspect ratio enabled, all the earlier episodes (1 - 43) have an aspect ratio of 16:9, where as the rest of the episodes have some super wide aspect ratio I don't even know what it is, something which is quite obviously incompatable with the PS3. Is it possible to correct the aspect ration within the file without having to do excessive converting that will compromise audio and/or video quality? It does appear a relatively simple fix from an uneducated viewpoint, but being an uneducated view point isn't really much of a good opinion to say otherwise.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

What's the exact resolution and aspect ratio it says? Shrinking shouldn't be a problem but I would want to know what it is exactly first. We aren't going to bother fixing it since we're going to replace those with DVD versions. If you want to fix it, go right ahead.

Return to “Playback Help”